Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ultimate Marksdwarf Training Guide  (Read 10741 times)

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Marksdwarf Training Guide
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 09:05:24 am »

What distance are you using between the Archery Target and Marskdwarf?

For example, if this is your setup:
Code: [Select]
T...☻
the distance would be 3. (Number of blank spaces, not including the AT or dorf spaces.)

Does anyone know if it's possible to set up bolt recycling in the square in front of the target?

I have heard, but not verified personally, that dwarves WILL NOT shoot at a target they can't path to. It would be worth testing if diagonal or side access is enough, meaning that you could possibly do recycling like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or even add in walls and channels above and below the target, as long as you can path to it from behind.

Does anyone currently do bolt recycling? Can you tell us if the bolts are picked up and put in stockpile as single stacks, or if they're made into multi-bolt stacks?

If your marksdwarves have to go back to the stockpile every 5 shots to pick up 5 more single bolts, it might be worth the time to just craft a full set of bolts, rather than wait for them to shoot, reload, shoot, reload, shoot, reload, &c.
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 09:20:27 am »

In my bolt recycling setup they are indeed individually placed in stockpile squares, but will multiple individual bolts can be placed in bins in the stockpile and in a dwarf's quiver.  I did not test if dwarves will put bolts in a quiver in a bin in a stockpile.

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 09:41:02 am »

When they take individual, recycled bolts, how many do they carry overall? I've only ever seen five stacks of five bolts each, for a max of 25. If they don't have stacks of 5 to grab, they end up with fewer than 25, but still 5 entries in the quiver contents screen.

I don't know if that's because of some slots_per_quiver cap, total_items_per_quiver cap, or just some quirk of how I run my bone industry and choose my squad ammo settings.

Edit: just checked and one of my guys is carrying seven individual bolts plus four stacks of 5 bolts. So, 27 bolts total, and 11 entries on the quiver contents list. Clearly there is some SCIENCE needed here.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:46:53 am by Hannibal Barcalounger »

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 09:51:17 am »

So as I understand it, you've got something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Each of the shooting lanes is declared as an individual, separate barracks, with the squad set to train in it (T when examining room). Furthermore, the entire thing is also one large barracks, declared from the armor stand.

Is that correct? Is anything missing or inaccurate?

If so, what are the squad settings in the armor-stand barracks? Train? Sleep? Anything?

There is one thing missing from this description...the shooting direction. You have to set the shooting direction appropriately for your dwarves to be able to use the shooting range.

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 10:10:56 am »

I've checked just now to verify it, and my shooting ranges are set to shoot from top to bottom along the south wall and bottom to top along the north wall.

How big are everyone's defined barracks? My barracks defined from the archery targets include the target, 3 blank spaces, the 4th space where the marksdwarf should supposedly stand, and one more space on each side of the dwarf's intended position (due to lack of doors to seal off room growth).

My barracks defined from the Armor Stand used to cover the entire room and fully overlap all of the archery-target barracks, but as an experiment I've reduced it to only cover the beds and not overlap any target-defined barracks at all.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 01:46:51 pm »

I don't have problems with marksdwarf training at archery targets.

Handling the assignment of bolts is very important. Have you checked their quivers to see if they have bolts? Are those bolts training bolts or combat bolts? Have you tried assigning them bolts without specifying a material and with both Train and Combat set? Doing this may help isolate the problem.

Sometimes bolts are in quivers that are in bins that are in the Finished Goods stockpile. I set up a separate Finished Goods stockpile with just quivers. If I see bolts in those quivers, I mass dump the bins, remove 'dump' from the bins and from the quivers. They will dump just the bolts. Then un-forbid the bolts, and they will move them to the ammo stockpile.

Actually, I found they train up very quickly shooting at enemies once the ambushers and sieges start, so training at ranges isn't that big a deal.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 02:14:56 pm »

Open question: Do dwarves get more XP from firing at live targets?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 02:27:06 pm »

From what I've read so far, it looks like you have your marksdorfs set to train in the normal barracks as well as the archery range. Never done this myself, but I guess it would cause them to train melee skills as well as crossbow.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 02:31:41 pm »

P.S. I know that firing-squad setups with wood bolts and armored live targets are the most reliable and fastest method for training up marksdorf skill. I know this. It's not necessary to point it out. I'm interested in figuring out how to make it happen in a barracks setup with archery targets, for science as much as anything else.

No need to trap them when they come close enough to your fortress to shoot them. I find they train fastest shooting at ambushers and siegers with wooden bolts from behind fortifications. One technique is to have two drawbridges, and, after they pass over one of them, close them both. Then shoot them. Usually I have a chained dog or two as bait.

Trapping them, connecting a lever to the cages, and pulling the lever takes too long.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 02:47:04 pm »

Archers assigned to both Archery Ranges and Barracks seem to prefer training in the barracks - they'll occasionally go to do archery practice, but sometimes they'll stop archery practice to go train in the barracks instead (and sometimes run back and forth as they try to make up their minds).

Archers will only perform Archery Practice using Training-allowed bolts stored in their quivers, which means that an archer whose quiver is completely filled with Combat-only ammo will not practice. Back in 0.28.181.40d and earlier, practice bolts were hauled to the range and fired directly from the dwarf's hands, so this was never a problem.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 10:30:26 pm »

Open question: Do dwarves get more XP from firing at live targets?
They get 6 exp for each shot at an archery range.

They get 30 exp for each shot fired at a live target. This is also the case for Adventure mode, even when you fire shots into the ground for powerleveling.

Both Marksdwarf and Archery gain this exp when you fire crossbows. In Adv mode bows only give 30 exp to Archery, haven't tried in Dwarf Fortress mode.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 10:39:24 pm »

I have a setup which works for me, with a few of my marksdwarves always shooting at the targets, even when not scheduled to train.
Simplified version:
Code: [Select]
=======
|X_X_X|
|     |
|     |
|     |
|     |
|     |
|R   W|
===+===

= is a wall
| is also a wall
X is an archery target
_ is a channeled floor
R is an armor stand
W is a weapon rack
+ is a door

Only the middle archery target is defined as a range, so they only shoot at that one.  I also have a barracks defined from the armor stand.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 01:52:56 am »

Gizogin, does the barracks defined from your armor stand cover the whole room? Does it overlap the barracks defined from the archery target, or just bump up against it?

What assignments does the squad have for the archery target barracks? Z,T,Q, the other thing I forget? What about the assignments for the Armor Stand barracks?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 02:07:12 am »

Hanni,

I am about to test this. 

Set 4 marksdwarves to ambush.  Chop up the topside map outside into 4 equally sized burrows of enormous scale.  Assign 1 hunter to each burrow.  Include a food/drink pile, dining hall, and chair in ea of the 4 burrows, I'll call mine hunting lodge, #1, 2, 3, 4.  Then allow them to hunt.

I'm just a little worried at what will happen if I don't assign a hunting dog to them.  Without a dog the prey might flee further, into another burrow, and the hunter might just stop his pursuit.  This won't really matter once I get 4 hunters up and rolling.  But at that point I could prolly build a china wall and seperate most of map into the four hunting fields, cept the edges of course...

That might save ya some arrows, since hunter misses can be reused.

Have a good one,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2011, 07:33:56 am »

If I want hunting done, I usually do it manually. Civilians with the hunting labor active tend to get killed easily by invaders, as they cannot be redirected and cannot wear armor. If you don't mind the risk and have lots of wildlife, then it's a great way of training up marksdwarves with little micromanagement.

Also, do burrows work with hunters?
Pages: 1 [2] 3