Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Your Fortress Mindset?  (Read 18532 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Your Fortress Mindset?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 12:43:38 pm »

If he's staring at DF, then his fort has a surplus of magma and flame.

Just like mom used to make
Naw, it'd be a city that can lift and lower its skyscrapers which double as power outlets and caches of giant firearms. Underneath that would be a wide open subterranean botanical garden with a pyramid (yes, all beneth the ground). Optionally, there'd also be a view to the post-apocalyptic seas and oceans that have blood instead of salt water with no life in them. Mega bonus if there's an orbital structure or a legendary lance floating in space.

But no, the Ikari Gendo pose is a very apt one for DF player mindset.
I feel he is blatantly trying to rip off Khorne  :P

khornate gendo? terrifying that may be, nobody dies rei is worse in scary factor, after tabris suffers a slight case of- loss of ocular virginity, and the beserk evas get you covered for the khornate rage.

anyway, i probably fit the gendo mindset wile you necro are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnrcx1ldKDE&feature=related this.
Magma  :D

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 12:55:35 pm »

Seeing as I enjoy making fortresses, but am actually pretty terrible at fortress management, I'm pretty sure this is what I'm like when shit hits the fan:

[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 01:01:53 pm »

Naw, it'd be a city that can lift and lower its skyscrapers which double as power outlets and caches of giant firearms. Underneath that would be a wide open subterranean botanical garden with a pyramid (yes, all beneth the ground). Optionally, there'd also be a view to the post-apocalyptic seas and oceans that have blood instead of salt water with no life in them. Mega bonus if there's an orbital structure or a legendary lance floating in space.

Depends. I'm pretty keen on the Evangelion stuff, but I don't believe I've ever heard of Khorne. Imma need an approximate time scale here.

Khorne is the Blood God in the alternate universe of Warhammer 40,000. commonly known for the following motto and weird memes:
"BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!"

"When life gives you lemons-BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"

"Khorne Flakes"
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 01:04:03 pm »

Depends. I'm pretty keen on the Evangelion stuff, but I don't believe I've ever heard of Khorne. Imma need an approximate time scale here.

Khorne is the Blood God in the alternate universe of Warhammer 40,000. commonly known for the following motto and weird memes:
"BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!"

"When life gives you lemons-BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"

"Khorne Flakes"
LEMON JEWS FOR THE LEMON GOD

CEREAL FOR THE CEREAL THRONE

BANANA

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 01:05:10 pm »

Ah, OK then. It's common knowledge (as far as I know) that Evangelion is from the 90s, so it's safe from Warhammer infringement.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 01:21:32 pm »

"Oderint dum metuant"
Let them hate, so long as they fear.

-Caligula
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 01:23:37 pm »

The first couple of years I approach it with the mindset of a diesel mechanic trying to get the most out of the machine.

Starting toward the end of the second year (when I start getting a grunch-ton of dorfs) I develop a chief (US Navy) mindset where I constantly monitor the idler number and when I find someone not working I find work for them to do. "You don't have anything to do? Then go clean something."

Around year 4 I kick back a bit and become a mad architect with tunnel vision.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 02:00:29 pm »

Seriously, I start a fort with the goal of unleashing the hordes of hell and killing all of them.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 02:25:13 pm »

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Is kind of the opposite of what I think when building my fortresses. If those little buggers rise after they fall then either the pit wasn't deep enough, or the fall wasn't nearly glorious enough. Take those as literally or as figuratively as you'd like.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 03:09:30 pm »

My current fort I've decided to dedicate to megaprojects using mechanical devices and elaborate science experiments utilizing my dorfs, Dorf Physics, and my unsuspecting neighbors.  My overseer is a highly skilled mechanist without a single shred of empathy, and my MedicDorf is also a sociopath.

But I like to imagine they mean well, so.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 04:19:34 pm »

Ah, OK then. It's common knowledge (as far as I know) that Evangelion is from the 90s, so it's safe from Warhammer infringement.
I would hope it's also common knowledge that Evangelion took a lot of inspiration from Christian lore. The sea of blood is from the Book of Revelations as I recall.

If anyone wants to talk about this further, I'll continue in PM as we don't want another derail.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 04:22:41 pm »

Speaking of derailing, I've got a project for computer science in which I get to use java to generate a picture of a hobby, and I choose DF. Any suggestions for a good picture to draw? In ASCII, of course.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 04:26:11 pm »

Speaking of derailing, I've got a project for computer science in which I get to use java to generate a picture of a hobby, and I choose DF. Any suggestions for a good picture to draw? In ASCII, of course.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 04:26:55 pm »

Get it to draw a fortress!  Use different "modular" pieces and have the program tack on hallways and modules to create a 2D fort.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 04:53:39 pm »

This is generally how it is. Fight, fight to the last dwarf. Nobody slacks, everbody works. Don't let them know what is outside, for the sake of your slaves.

Then this
happens very, very quickly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7