Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Your Fortress Mindset?  (Read 18525 times)

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
Re: Your Fortress Mindset?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 04:03:34 am »

Walt Disney counting cash from the till and laughing all the way to the bank.
I'm assuming you're trading the usual goblets and crafts and taking home raw platinum and gold, though?

Actually most of my imports are unremarkable raw materials like wood, cloth, and leather. So from the trading aspect, it'd be more like a factory manager in Guangzhou than Walt Disney.

I've just started two science experiments, one with traps and one with training schemes, so the best examples of my mindset at this instant are

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:09:26 am by Hannibal Barcalounger »
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 04:34:18 am »

This is getting softly derailed...  It's not about your fort, it's about you as you make the fort.  If you had to depict yourself as an overlord, how would you portray yourself?  NOT your desired construction scheme.

This is what I get for posting in threads right after waking up and thinking that my brain managed to process what I read in correct fashion.

How I see myself as an overlord?
Well that's easy.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 10:21:37 am »

I like the style of them, and they seem very dwarfy in overall design. Plus, unlike the Fallout games, you can actually expand on them and turn them into out and out Ixian colonies/underground cities.

I'm already having a WIP made (1 year passed so far). Behold: Vault-221, Codename: Galley Golds

If I got the Vault numbering system down correctly, the climate/location should be fitting for a location somewhere near Atlanta, GA.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:25:03 am by Itnetlolor »

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 11:08:08 am »

If we're going to be sharing thought processes, then I'm afraid I'm going with
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 11:12:57 am »

If we're going to be sharing thought processes, then I'm afraid I'm going with
If he's staring at DF, then his fort has a surplus of magma and flame.

Just like mom used to make

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 11:16:25 am »

my mindset is pretty much the same, massive paranoia, im always like:
"oh shit the gobbos will get me! I dont have weaponry!" -me with the seven starting dwarves
"oh noes the water will freeze soon!" -on a hot biome with the fear of losing booze and water in winter
"I dont have a trap lined corridor! gotta redo the fortress!" -another time with seven dwarves
"I lost to dwarves to an ambush? this is the end of the fort!" -true story of an earlier fort
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 11:41:42 am »

I look forward to taunting my neighbors who come to visit.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 11:46:22 am »

I look forward to taunting my neighbors who come to visit.
Use bridges, they launch animals in random directions  :P

Pitting the animals would be more effective, though  :P

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 11:52:30 am »

That is actually just the color of his glasses.
His plans do involve melting everyone on the planet, but in a rather different way.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 12:16:14 pm »

Naw, it'd be a city that can lift and lower its skyscrapers which double as power outlets and caches of giant firearms. Underneath that would be a wide open subterranean botanical garden with a pyramid (yes, all beneth the ground). Optionally, there'd also be a view to the post-apocalyptic seas and oceans that have blood instead of salt water with no life in them. Mega bonus if there's an orbital structure or a legendary lance floating in space.

But no, the Ikari Gendo pose is a very apt one for DF player mindset.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 12:24:00 pm »

A little insanity, a lot of perseverance, and over all going in with good humor.  I've been known to embark with nothing but one of every 2pt prepared brain for food.  Why?  Because it's funny.  I derive so much joy from Dwarf Fortress -- the little guys wall themselves into the magma tubes, fall asleep while taking a break on the scenic cage traps, or wander out into the middle of a siege to grab somebody's socks for the stockpile but you know what?  They never disappoint me.  They're manic-depressive little drunken lemmings and I'm their borderline cheerfully sociopathic overlord.  I tend to make my forts nice but somewhat batty places.  The dwarves, my proxies in them, are the cats, not as much as the explosion.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 12:31:01 pm »

Naw, it'd be a city that can lift and lower its skyscrapers which double as power outlets and caches of giant firearms. Underneath that would be a wide open subterranean botanical garden with a pyramid (yes, all beneth the ground). Optionally, there'd also be a view to the post-apocalyptic seas and oceans that have blood instead of salt water with no life in them. Mega bonus if there's an orbital structure or a legendary lance floating in space.

I feel he is blatantly trying to rip off Khorne  :P

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 12:38:05 pm »

What I aim for in my head. Sadly it always seems to end up looking more reminiscent of Corby.
Mine tend to end up looking more like Auschwitz, and I don't mean the town.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 12:40:37 pm »

khornate gendo? terrifying that may be, nobody dies rei is worse in scary factor, after tabris suffers a slight case of- loss of ocular virginity, and the beserk evas get you covered for the khornate rage.

anyway, i probably fit the gendo mindset wile you necro are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnrcx1ldKDE&feature=related this.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 12:41:38 pm »

Depends. I'm pretty keen on the Evangelion stuff, but I don't believe I've ever heard of Khorne. Imma need an approximate time scale here.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7