Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I don't understand... ( experiences with Bogeymen )  (Read 1195 times)

Prixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I don't understand... ( experiences with Bogeymen )
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:48:16 pm »

I always see people complaining about Bogeymen. I had trouble maybe, my first adventurer.
-I've been playing less than a month and can already kill Bogemen with ease.

My trick is to simply aim for the foot/leg the whole time. Keep backing up to organize the bogeymen into a line.

As you're backing up, worst comes to worse, he'll get one counterstrike and push you. Eventually you'll score a hit on his foot. Even if not remotely deadly, the slight damage makes more foot/leg-damage easier. Eventually, they'll lose a limb or motor nerves. Continue with other bogeymen until they are all crippled.

Now simply jump in, poke them a bit, and jump out.
Repeat until they bleed to death.

I've done this since Day one, and have only had issues maybe twice. ( -and considering I make new adventurers twice a day... )

-although not perfect, I find this method perfect for dealing with the persistent night-creatures alone.

Does anyone else have specific qualms or tactics against Bogeymen?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: I don't understand... ( experiences with Bogeymen )
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:51:17 pm »

Travel only during daytime or with companions. Seems to work for me.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:18:56 pm »

Well, if I have any Wrestling skill worth mentioning, then I Charge at them until they're knocked over, then I grab their heads with a free hand, and proceed to kill them with a cut to the head, throat or lower body.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:36:37 pm »

The way I fixed this bogeyman situation is by setting the number of night creature species to 0 in worldgen. One might say that I deprived myself of a feature, but I looked at constant nightly attacks by boring, hard-to-kill monsters as a nuisance.

Alamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:42:57 pm »

You can do that!? Holy crap. They're outta here!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 05:12:40 am »

Of course, then there will be no night creatures whatsoever. No more Starved Hags or Crooked Creatures.
Love, scriver~

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 05:21:39 am »

Bogeymen are easy to kill. I make sure I do not fight more than one at a time and then I charge at their feet. At worst, I will miss or just knock them over. At best, I will sever their motor nerves. Once they are on the floor, I aim for more vital body parts. Such as the throat. It kills them with extreme ease.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:39:13 pm »

Well, the last time I still played with night creatures on, killing them was a pain in the ass. They were surprisingly resilient and the game literally spammed them every night. It was like being constantly ambushed by wolves, but wolves that dodged most of my blows. Not my definition of entertainment.

Nukarama

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: adorable stupidity]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 02:52:12 pm »

Be a dorf. CHAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. That usually works.
And when the site infiltration feature is done, we can do that thing where two short people disguise themselves as one tall guy in a trenchcoat. Except the two people in question will be halves of the same person.
The perfect disguise.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 03:19:40 pm »

once you reach a high level you can mow through bogies.
they just horrible nuisance for low to new adventurers.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 03:25:24 pm »

turn attack to charge and run and once in a wile when theres just one there on the space by you charge, they will take alot of damage and fall to the ground, it seems to work really well for me, i try not to move too far cus i'm pretty sure they will despawn and a new one comes in if i do move too far.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 05:20:44 pm »

it is just that some times you get bad luck with them i.e. stuck in a trap or are to weak to fight them.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

rolk112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 06:23:41 pm »

i tend to avoid night till i get around 5 companions, after that i never run into night monstrers
This is DF.  The concept 'good idea' and the concept 'safe' do not belong together in the same sentence.