Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Necromancy 101  (Read 8154 times)

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancy 101
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2011, 06:15:28 pm »

We might want to explain the situation to them before they start panicking and start something both sides end up regretting.
Agreed! Although exploring the tower is certainly a good idea as well.

So... compromise: go talk to the villagers, but set a few undead birds or somesuch to explore the tower beforehand. They can come report if they find anything alarming, otherwise you can just collect the data later for a proper firsthand exploration.
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2011, 07:20:33 pm »

Go and try to make peace with the townsfolk. Remember, zombie draft animals don't need to be feed and can pule the plow all day
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

yourfears

• Bay Watcher
  • immortalis redundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 07:32:39 pm »

attempt to recall how to undo the damage to their crops as it probably wasn't your most tactful move.

peace is a temporary necessary evil

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:36:35 pm by yourfears »
voice of evil reason

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 08:36:00 pm »

Think for a moment, Zahra, think! Xanos said he was using you for something; that means everything that he could possibly manipulate is probably going to both his hidden goal and keeping you from becoming more powerful. Now, what sort of goal do you think a really obvious and imposing tower would be good for? Any guesses? I'll give you a hint; the same goal that a really magically flashy entrance is good for...
 ...attracting enemies. Xanos' enemies, to be specific. Their scouts are going to look at that tower, and their wizards are going to notice all that void energy, and then they'll all get together and send a force more than large enough to end you, on the assumption that you're being subtle.
 Those crops you killed aren't important for just what the town's people think, they are important for what your new enemies, Xanos' enemies, will think. You need to befreind those villagers, get them on your side so they can help you get those greater forces on your side. Go back quickly, quietly, to make it up to them, and do your best to clean up all that magical noise! Come on, where's that paranoia that helped you defend your early school years, and succeed in your later ones?

Oh, and in the long run: undead don't last forever, and they can't make more of themselves; but a mortal human village lasts as long as it's healthy, and they give you new corpses as a by-product. Also, human beings have this normal habit of ignoring what's unpleasant if it benefits them; get them reliant on your (shrouded) undead labor, and they're yours.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2011, 08:52:09 pm »

> I agree. Let us be the first heroic necromancer! Any other move may play us right into Xanatos Xanos' rotting hands. Shit's about to get complex; best to make sure we come out ahead, not dead.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2011, 09:10:34 am »

We might want to explain the situation to them before they start panicking and start something both sides end up regretting.
Befriend the fuck out of those villagers.

We could make the undead work their fields and such. Magic industrialization!

Best course of action, just saying.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2011, 11:14:13 am »

FYI this isn't dead, I'm just having a rough week. Caught the Flu and was bedridden and then working 10+ hour days.

Update will be up tonight, it's half written now.

Edit: And then we had a fire at work. Ugh. I won't be home for another few hours.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:12:08 pm by forsaken1111 »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2011, 01:22:33 am »

FYI this isn't dead, I'm just having a rough week. Caught the Flu and was bedridden and then working 10+ hour days.

Edit: And then we had a fire at work. Ugh. I won't be home for another few hours.

Nobody harmed, I hope?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2011, 04:23:03 am »

Ahhh are fire common in your work place? I'm getting an image of something like this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2011, 07:18:28 am »

Not common, no. But I had to stay late to restore IT services once the firemen were done.

And nobody was hurt as far as I know.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2011, 12:30:45 pm »

You sit and stare for a while at this big 'hand' tower. It certainly looks menacing, with its claws stretching skyward as if to rip the sun from the heavens. The villagers are probably shitting themselves or whatever it is villagers do when they panic.

Hm, the villagers... you'll have to make a plan to deal with them one way or another. This tower looks rather immobile, so they're your new neighbors like it or not. Still, they're several hours awa-what was that? You look sharply towards the tree line of the forest as you heard something, possibly a shout. You are quite surprised to see one of those damn fool villagers shouting at you and waving his arms. Is he hysterical? mad? You can't really make out what he is saying, but you feel the Void Within tremble as your annoyance rises.

The villager, a man by the looks of it, is dressed like some kind of hunter with a deerskin jerkin and breeches and some kind of dirty cloth tied over his hair and neck. He has some remarkably well-made boots on which are at odds with his otherwise unkempt and dirty appearance. They seem to be new boots made of cowhide with polished iron buckles and leather straps across the front.

As you stare at his odd boots, he comes closer and stops waving his hands. Panting heavily from his sprint, and looking warily at your hand which you now notice is crackling with void energies, he drops to one knee.

“Sire, I am Ester of the village Thornstown. I beg you not to harm our village. I know a wizard when I see one, and wish to welcome you to our lands. We have many problems within the village which require a wizard’s aid. Please do not be angry Sire, I have followed you since you left the village. The elders wanted to know if you were passing through or intended to stay. What would you have me tell them?”

Huh... he’s already groveling and you didn’t even have to disintegrate his legs. He’s been following you all this time?

You’re starting to form an idea. Something comes back to you from a magical ethics course you took at the academy. Something called ‘aggressive friendship and codependent relationships’ whereby a wizard can have people serve him willingly through the gradual but forceful insinuation of magic into their lives. If you make the people rely on magic to survive, and you are the only source of magic at hand, they will do anything you ask to maintain their quality of life.

You pull your hood back and speak in your best wizard voice, “Ester, you are in luck. I am a Wizard of no small power and I have chosen to settle here. I will aid your village as best I can in return for small considerations like food and supplies. Lead me back to the village now that my work here is done. And do you happen to have any food?”

You and Ester walk back to the village in the failing light and you enjoy a snack of dried meat and some water as you walk. Ester tells you about his village, which sounds singularly boring. They are at a subsistence-level economy, with the entire village’s effort revolving around a single harvest each year which feeds them for the year to come. One of the most unstable and risky of arrangements, really, as one failed harvest will mean starvation for much of the population.

You should make a plan as to how to present yourself to the village. You can’t create any lasting animated undead, though you could probably do some short lived void tricks like you did with that bastard back at Swinesworth. To create a lasting animation you’ll need supplies and, more importantly, a ritual circle to focus the energies and some raw material to raise. You’re quite good with blood magic though, which includes healing and causing diseases as well as direct control of a living body.

You are walking back to the village with Ester.

Currently Wearing: Casual attire, black hooded robe, soiled underpants.

Inventory: worn apprentice staff, spare clean socks, unknown potion vial (1 dose), 3 silver coins, Necromancer's License(charged), Letter, void crystal

Status Effects:
Ruffled - You are somewhat disheveled from your trek but still presentable.
Satiated – You’re not really hungry or thirsty. +1 morale.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2011, 06:45:22 pm »

Promise them military protection so long as you remain nearby, and temporary assistance come the harvest each year. Explain that while you are by no means an archmage, you aren't without power and are willing to do whatever it takes to make this a mutually benificial relationship.

After we make friends with the villiagers we're going to have to explain exactly what kind of wizard we are. Hopefully they won't immediately abandon us when we do.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2011, 07:43:04 pm »

Promise them military protection so long as you remain nearby, and temporary assistance come the harvest each year. Explain that while you are by no means an archmage, you aren't without power and are willing to do whatever it takes to make this a mutually benificial relationship.

After we make friends with the villiagers we're going to have to explain exactly what kind of wizard we are. Hopefully they won't immediately abandon us when we do.
This and also ask them what needs doing.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2011, 07:48:56 pm »

Micelus, your avatar makes me want to hug you. The Necromancer should learn about an factions that might come down and try to kill us.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2011, 12:15:18 am »

This and also ask them what needs doing.

This and rather then saying "i'm a Necromancer" make it vague but benevolent sounding. Like "I study the forces of life and death,  In an attempt to figure out the mysteries of the universe blah blah blah." If you talk long enough they'll stop caring about what you began with or what kind of wizard you are. they'll probably Just go "uggh Boring magic talk guy. Whatever. Back to my beans and wheat."
I figure peasants don't know enough about Magic to care much. They probably lump all magic users together is what i'm saying.

Finally be wary of Ester. Those boots are suspicious. A noble's spy might bear with wearing peasant clothing but they Won't wear bad shoes because It would slow them down, what with the limping and all. This "Ester" could be a spy for some other wizard or some kind of noble.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5