Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Necromancy 101  (Read 8164 times)

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancy 101
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 05:16:31 pm »

Unleash all hell on Snerd, make a passable attempt to not injure the neophytes.
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 05:28:16 pm »

You rein in your anger somewhat and focus. You are somewhat competent with void magic and have passable skill in manipulating blood and bone. As you find your center and bring forth the Void Within, you wait for just the right moment and focus the energies of the Aether to form a point in space just in front of Snerd's finger when he points towards a nearby bear skeleton to explain the differences between it and some other indistinguishable species of bear.

Focusing such void energies upon a single point fractures the local barrier between the planes and Aetheric energies leap out in a crackle. Multi-hued lightning embraces the bear skeleton, causing it to jerk to life and roar in rage as it tears away from its mounting. Like a puppeteer you tug on the crackling energies, causing the bear to swipe at the dottering old fool and evicerate him where he stands.

The neophytes scream and flee the classroom as the bear exhausts its rage and the remaining energies you feed it on Snerd's helpless form, transforming him into a slimy red puddle of fleshy paste with a miraculously undamaged pair of glasses on top. The bear goes on to wreck up the classroom a bit, destroying several expensive display cases and shattering the student's desks. Once you are satisfied, the aetheric strings are cut and the skeleton drops to the floor in a clatter of bone and metal pins.

You walk away, whistling a song you once heard in a bar somewhere. You feel rather a lot better now, and your headache isn't so bad, though the strain of such a spell so early in the morning has left you a bit fatigued. It was worth it though, and the neophytes are already spreading tales of how old Snerd tried to enchant a skeleton and it ripped him to shreds.

Should you go see what Xanos wants or continue to cause a bit of havok on your last day?

Quote from: Status
You are in a nondescript hallway within the Swinesworth Academy for Advanced Necromancy. Nearby several students are gossiping about the death of a professor and a Warden of the school is shoving his way towards the commotion as you pass.

Currently Wearing: Casual attire, a black hooded robe

Inventory: worn apprentice staff, spare clean socks, mysterious potion vial (1 dose), 3 silver coins

Status Effects:
You have bathed and combed your hair. (+1 to social encounters)
Hangover (-1 to all actions in the presence of bright lights or noise. May cause spontaneous rage)
Satiated (You are neither hungry nor thirsty - +5 to any morale checks)
Good Spirits (+1 morale bonus to all actons)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:33:47 pm by forsaken1111 »

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 05:32:09 pm »

Go see Xanos, expending too much energy with such a promising day ahead of you would be a waste.

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 05:34:04 pm »

Also see if on the way you can find a flask or a waterskin, never know when you're going to need to carry large amounts of liquids.
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 06:59:06 pm »

To Xanos, make sure to dodge that warden.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 11:11:10 pm »

Nothing else comes to mind so you decide to walk down to the main office. After ducking into an alcove to avoid the warden you make your way through several corridors, your old staff rapping against the flagstones like a proper wizard. Several second year students come out of a classroom acting loud and rowdy but a quick shout from you silences them and they scurry away to their next class sheepishly. Graduates do have some measure of power within the school, and it makes you feel a bit better to tell them off.

As you enter the main office the old scribe Whenzer approaches and peers at you through a pair of monstriously thick glasses. His eyes as large as an owl's, he nods to you.

"Ahh, welcome Journeyman Ulspo. I have your permit and a letter for you from Headmaster Xanos. I believe your license has come in as well, let me check my files."

He sniffs heavily, wiping his nose on a sodden sleeve before turning to a cabinet and rifling through several drawers full of haphazardly filed papers. He pulls out a small sheaf of parchment which is tied with a string as well as a parcel and hands them to you.

"I do hope you've enjoyed your time here at Swinesworth, have a wonderful day!"

As you look at him, puzzled by his gloating tone and odd words, he reaches out and touches a glyph upon his desk. In a flash, the world around you dissolves and you find yourself traveling at great speed through the magical realm known as the Aether. The parcel in your hand gets rather warm and the brown paper wrapping flares and burns away to reveal a Necromantic License, a round metal object about the size of a small coin and emblazoned with the seal of Swinesworth on one side and a large detailed skull on the other. It seems the license is charging itself from the ambient energies of the Aether as it is beginning to smoke and become uncomfortably warm.

Wind rips at your robes as you hurtle through the Aether, seeing nothing but a rainbow hued blur as the Porticulum effect initiated by the rune transports you safely to a distant destination. You were not expecting this method of departure and hope they had the good sense to pack your things and send them as well.

You are still rather annoyed with the old librarian when you suddenly come to a crashing halt. The Porticulum vanishes and you are briefly exposed to raw Aetheric energies before transiting back to the plane of matter. You land rather heavily on the ground, retaining your balance though still a bit startled. You seem to be in a forest clearing. The ground around your landing point is scorched by your transit, the grass and dirt blasted back by the energies unleashed when the Porticulum collapsed. You don't think that was supposed to happen.

You blink and look around, unsure what to do. You decide to read the letter, which you notice was sealed with the imprint of Headmaster Xanos.

Zahra,

You have been a passable student of this academy and because of that I have decided not to end your life. There is, however, the small matter of your ambition. My reports indicate that you are quite the precocious little scamp, and could even some day become someone who could cause me a bit of trouble. Because of that I have arranged, as you no doubt have noticed, for your porticulum to fail mid-transport. You will be deposited in the wilds where I have provided you shelter and several useful items.

You may wonder why I am doing this when I have just expressed concern at your becoming competition. Frankly, because I can. It amuses me to see if you will survive what is coming, and you have little choice in the matter. Your predicament will also serve an important purpose for me, though I will not share that with you at this time. Your license is proof of your graduation and will act as a catalyst for your powers and a powerful magical implement. It also gives you authority to wield the power of necromancy, and should prove useful when you run into the undead. I have also included a lair permit within this letter which entitles you to establish and maintain a hidden necromancer's lair in the wilds. Together these items will let you operate independently, though anything you do at this point will ultimately serve my ends. Have fun!

-X

P.S. Throw the lair permit to the ground and step back. It should be quite revealing.

You really hate that guy.

Quote from: Status
You are in a grassy forest clearing. Nearby you see trees, grass, and other assorted disgusting naturey things.

Currently Wearing: Casual attire, a black hooded robe, soiled underpants.

Inventory: worn apprentice staff, spare clean socks, mysterious potion vial (1 dose), 3 silver coins, Necromancer's License(charged), Lair Permit, Letter, aethercyte crystal (embedded in shoulder)

Status Effects:
You have bathed and combed your hair. (+1 to social encounters)
Satiated (You are neither hungry nor thirsty - +5 to any morale checks)
Good Spirits (+1 morale bonus to all actons)
Supercharged (Your trip through the Aether has your skin tingling and itching with power. You could probably do some cool stuff right now.)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:21:08 pm by forsaken1111 »

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 11:19:31 pm »

Do not do with the lair permit as Xanos said. instead trow it into the fork of a tree, or the crack in a boulder, whichever is closer to hand.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 12:14:00 am »

Agree.

Also, take a walk around the clearing. Look for any corpses. If none, try to kill some forest animals and animate them.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 02:18:06 am »

do not use the lair permit yet. look for traces of human civilization instead. if there are none in your direct vicinity cast a deathblast in a random direction and look if someone or something died. Then reanimate it as a higher undead. also try to remember how the port spell rune looked.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:21:22 am by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 03:33:29 am »

The mention of it being "Revealing" seems like it might be good for mapping. I say we do it. From a distance.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 03:37:13 am »

We could always levitate it, hide behind a large rock or similiar, and then drop it on the ground quite a distance from us.
By a 'lair' permit, perhaps it will summon some sort of... Well lair? I'm not sure. However, we signed up to this Academy in the first place to seek the lovely, forbidden knowledge! We must know what it means!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 03:43:32 am »

I say we wait till we find a city, and use it near it. preferably in a mausoleum in a graveyard outside of the city boundaries.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 03:48:52 am »

No, I have an idea. Find someone and shove the lair permit into their mouth. Activate it.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 03:56:41 am »

Hate that, post I made disappeared somehow.
Anyway, I agree with Hachnslay, we should try and find some signs of civilization before summoning our lair.
Assuming that's even what the permit does... I suppose we should also attempt to examine the permit magically, find out what its function is.
And I think our lair should be on a craggy mountaintop; we can do Micelus' idea, as long as the victim stands ontop of a mountain. Although we need to throw it down to activate it, so not sure if that'd work. :-\ We could throw the person down with it in their mouth?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:34:53 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 04:31:04 am »

so, a mountainside graveyard would be ideal. especially during thunderstorms!
"It lives! It lives!" *queue mad cackling*.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5