Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Necromancy 101  (Read 8151 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Necromancy 101
« on: October 18, 2011, 03:12:06 pm »

You have recently graduated from the Swinesworth Academy of Advanced Necromancy after 8 long years of study. The morning after the graduation ceremony you awaken with an incredible hangover. Some first-year whose name you cannot remember scurries out of your bed as you awaken, picking up her clothes and dashing out the door with a grin.

You run your hands over your unshaven chin and rub your eyes, trying to lessen the pounding in your head. As you swing your legs over the side of your bed you notice that there is a small folded note lying on your storage chest, near the door to your room. To whom is the note addressed?

Quote from: Status
You are in your room within the Swinesworth Academy. Nearby are a chest, a closet, an armoire, a bed, a note, and a door.

Currently Wearing: nothing

Inventory: No items

Status Effects:
You stink like a frat party at a strip joint. (-5 to Social Encounters)
Hangover (-2 to all actions in the presence of bright lights or noise. May cause spontaneous rage.)
Satiated (You are neither hungry nor thirsty - +5 Morale)

Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:55:12 pm by forsaken1111 »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancy 101 - Who Am I?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 03:14:31 pm »

It is addressed to our much less talkative roomate ,Bamer.

If your trying to get us to give a name, then I suggest our name is Zahra, for no real reason.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 03:17:00 pm »

Its adressed to you ,Ulspo, its a note from your mother in your homecountry of EuropeLand  your brother ,a knight,  just died.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 03:26:12 pm »

The note is addressed to Aphra, who is not around right now. You shrug and read it anyway.

Aphra,

Make sure Zahra gets down to the main office first thing in the morning. His license is in and he will be shipped out soon.

P.S. Tell him his brother died in some damn fool crusade. Good riddance.

-X

Huh, old Xanos isn't one for small talk, or sympathy. No matter, what does Zahra Ulspo need for sympathy? Down to the main office eh? Aphra probably didn't want to disturb you while you slept. You have a nasty habit of loosing void bolts by accident when startled.

You get dressed in casual attire, still reeking of last night's exploits (whatever they were, you certainly don't remember anything). You don the traditional black hooded robe over your underclothes and take up your old worn apprentice staff. You look halfway presentable in the mirror, though your hair is a mess and you still haven't shaved. You wonder if you should head straight down or take a walk around the grounds first. You're apparently going to be leaving soon and you will miss this place.

What do you do?

You are in your room within the Swinesworth Academy. Nearby are a chest, a closet, an armoire, a bed, and a door.

Currently Wearing: Casual attire, a black hooded robe

Inventory: worn apprentice staff

Status Effects:
You stink like a frat party at a strip joint. (-5 to Social Encounters)
Hangover (-2 to all actions in the presence of bright lights or noise. May cause spontaneous rage.)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 03:27:13 pm »

See what's in our chest. Grab anything useful.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 03:31:18 pm »

See what's in our chest. Grab anything useful.
Afterwards take a shower/bath, you want to smell good for the dark forces of death.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 03:36:42 pm »

You walk to the chest and open it with a word. It was locked by a silly incantation you learned your first year, something any real wizard could break but which served well enough in the apprentice's dorm. The lid springs open and you rifle around inside.

You find a soiled training robe, some clean socks, an old broken wand (heh heh, that was your first attempt at a summoning spell. Good times... it took them weeks to capture all of the triffids.) You see an unlabeled potion vial with a bit of murky liquid in the bottom, enough for one dose probably though you don't remember what it is. Your last potions class was two years ago... oh well, you take that. You also find three silver coins amongst the other odds and ends. The rest is junk, ripped bits of parchment or broken quills. An ink bottle spilled all over some perfectly good scrolls which are now ruined, the magic in the words is all scrambled and emits small pops and sparks when you move them. Finding nothing else, you close the chest.

You decide that you smell terrible, much worse than a proper wizard should, so you walk down to the communal bathing area. Nobody else is here at the moment, they're all in class. You take a quick bath in one of the self-heating self-filling tubs and are feeling a bit more human. A quick comb and even your hair seems to be behaving. You quickly dress again.

Now what?

You are in the Swinesworth Academy communal bathing area. Nearby you see several bathtubs, a rack of towels, several warded stone lockers, and a window overlooking the courtyard.

Inventory: worn apprentice staff, spare clean socks, mysterious potion vial (1 dose), 3 silver coins

Status Effects:
You have bathed and combed your hair. (+1 to social encounters)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:55:34 pm by forsaken1111 »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancy 101
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 04:46:23 pm »

Settle any old scores.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 04:53:31 pm »

We need to pull some really crazy prank, to mark our departure from the Academy in the minds of all.
Perhaps we could toilet paper the principal/grandmaster's wagon? Enlarge a classroom pet to colossal proportions?
Summon a massive pile of cow crap in someone's office whilst they're not there? Any or all of these could work!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 05:00:02 pm »

Nah, let's just go what see what Xanos wants.
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 05:01:05 pm »

You are about to head off to the main office but you decide to drop in on Professor Snerd's class first. Snerd has been a thorn in your side for years, ever since he learned that your half-brother was a crusading knight and upstanding moral citizen. Snerd is of the opinion that you were never quite dark enough to merit entry into Swinesworth.

As you stop just outside the door, you can hear Snerd's droning voice going on about the finer points of a mogwort's anatomy. Curious, you read the placard above the door which announces this to be a "Philosophy of Divinatory Taxonomy" class. What absurd nonsense they teach the neophytes these days. Perhaps you can use this to your advantage though.. a quick glance inside reveals all manner of beasts and creatures trussed up for study. You have no real idea what Divinatory Taxonomy means or how its philosophy could enhance anyone's ability to cast a spell, but you DO know how to cause some havoc.

Now... should you be mean, or should you be evil?

Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)

You are just outside Snerd's classroom for "Philosophy of Divinatory Taxonomy". Nearby you see a door. Inside the classroom several neophytes attend their lessons diligently as Snerd's droning voice bores them to tears.

Inventory: worn apprentice staff, spare clean socks, mysterious potion vial (1 dose), 3 silver coins

Status Effects:
You have bathed and combed your hair. (+1 to social encounters)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 05:04:09 pm »

Look up what divinatory taxonomy is before screwing with it, in the mean time make any meat Snerd ate revive and crawl out.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 05:08:52 pm »

Consulting the nearby lexicon of class terms, you find that Divinatory Taxonomy is the use of divination magicks to seek out and classify new species without disturbing them or exposing oneself to the dangers of face-to-face encounters. Clearly this is the science of the craven and unfit for anyone who would call himself a Necromancer!

You turn your hateful gaze back on the classroom, intent on embarrassing Snerd but you hesitate. Should you cause some grander ruckus to mark your departure from the school at the same time?

And just how mean should you be? Do you really care if any innocent apprentices or neophytes are harmed?

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 05:13:05 pm »

Unleash all hell on Snerd, make a passable attempt to not injure the neophytes.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 05:13:39 pm »

This is a private hate. No need to harm the apprentices.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5