Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Latin Wikipedia Entry: Making one.  (Read 1218 times)

Sanguinis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Latin Wikipedia Entry: Making one.
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:43:20 pm »

Hey guys, my Latin teacher gave us an assignment to make a Latin wikipedia http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagina_prima page based on something that hasn't been done before. I'm doing Dwarf Fortress, and would like your input on the really rough draft of the English version so far. Basically I'm making a summary of DF, then translating it to Latin. The requirements are that it be of reasonable length and include at least 4 conditional phrases, 2 factual and 2 contrafactual.

Dwarf Fortress is a game where you lead 7 dwarf settlers to build a giant fortress, or to be killed by zombie llamas if you embark on terrifying land. Losing is fun. If one loses quickly and violently, one will have fun. It is not possible to win in Dwarf Fortress.

That's what I have so far, I'm planning for it to be about 3 paragraphs, touching briefly on: The brutality of the combat; how random everything is; how weirdly realistic everything is; and losing is fun. Any suggestions?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Latin Wikipedia Entry: Making one.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:45:51 pm »

+Developed by single person supported entirely by donations.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 03:55:49 pm »

Hey guys, my Latin teacher gave us an assignment to make a Latin wikipedia http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagina_prima page based on something that hasn't been done before. I'm doing Dwarf Fortress, and would like your input on the really rough draft of the English version so far. Basically I'm making a summary of DF, then translating it to Latin. The requirements are that it be of reasonable length and include at least 4 conditional phrases, 2 factual and 2 contrafactual.

Dwarf Fortress is a game where you lead 7 dwarf settlers to build a giant fortress, or to be killed by zombie llamas if you embark on terrifying land. Losing is fun. If one loses quickly and violently, one will have fun. It is not possible to win in Dwarf Fortress.

That's what I have so far, I'm planning for it to be about 3 paragraphs, touching briefly on: The brutality of the combat; how random everything is; how weirdly realistic everything is; and losing is fun. Any suggestions?

In Dwarf Fortress, there are two game modes available. If you like strategy games, then fortress mode will please you. If you like single person and small group games, then adventure mode will please you. The game is randomly generated each time following rules that are as similar to real world physics as possible.

Combat is done as realistically as possible as well. However, this is also done randomly to a certain extent. This can result in your soldiers biting an enemy's head off, but also could lead to them cutting open their enemies' stomachs open and spilling their guts. This is available for perusal in the combat reports, which contain a list of all combat that has happened and stores the data for recent ones.

In Dwarf Fortress, the only goal is to have fun. With no victory conditions, it is impossible to win. However, by a series of logic, it has proceeded to be to lose. The logic goes as follows: it is possible to survive indefinitely. However, this is boring. Therefore, losing must be the fun option. It thus follows that the goal for people is to lose in the most entertaining way, as recorded in Boatmurdered, a story written from the events in one game.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 04:24:04 pm »

Magma.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Unnoskol

• Bay Watcher
  • Stryk teh erth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:40:05 am »

DF is a game where the player devises creative ways to dispose of cats and kittens.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:42:19 am »

+Developed by single person supported entirely by donations.
2 people, unless ThreeToe has ceased to exist.
*Hugs*

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 07:20:19 am »

Link the page when you're done, would be nice to see.
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 01:03:32 pm »

Unfortunately, if I were to write even a simple sentence in Latin, I'd have to go through the dictionary for every second word. Despite being a good Latin student and having had the subject for over two years, four lessons a week.

Fortuna fortem adiuvat!
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »

Nah. Simple sentences are easy.

Nisi placet tibi, nihil placet mihi.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."