Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DANG IT Online medical advice! !Cured!  (Read 6623 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DANG IT Online medical advice!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 06:41:57 pm »

I think that most of these sites are trying to cover their asses with regard to possible lawsuits.

Well the one I went to it was mostly because Shortness of breath with for example: Being tired all the time, Swollen feet (the pads of my feet are swelling), and getting migranes (My glasses give me migranes easily) were completely unrelated to my shortness of breath.

So suddenly I was going to die three ways.

It is like those depression tests where on an off day you are almost bound to be diagnosed with depression.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 06:43:16 pm »

My glasses give me migranes easily
Likely not migraines.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 06:55:09 pm »

My glasses give me migranes easily
Likely not migraines.

Fine, wearing glasses causing painful strain inside my eyes and can ruin my day.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 07:43:57 pm »

Neonivek, you should link the site you used to us, so we can find out how many Bay12'ers have eye cancer and mad cow disease.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 07:50:09 pm »

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/tools/symptom/521.html

That is the EXACT site I used. Behold as shortness of breath kills you in many unique and interesting ways.

Better hope you never get shortness of breath, according to this you will surely die. There arn't even any "Don't see a doctor" options.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:10:24 pm by Neonivek »

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 08:48:02 pm »

3. Do you have sudden, severe shortness of breath with chest pain or tightness?
You may be having a HEART ATTACK
Short hand summary of familydoctor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 09:27:51 pm »

Also researching a bit more it is likely the pain is caused by the pads of my feet becoming dry, unusually fast, from the Epson salt.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 10:22:14 pm »

1-30. Do you have x?
You may be having Y!
Short hand summary of familydoctor.
X is defined as "Common and generally innocuous but annoying symptom".
Y is defined as "Extremely deadly condition that has a variety of prerequisites that are not asked about".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 11:06:15 pm »

Hm, that's a terrible site. Complete hypochondriac trap. Downright irresponsible, in fact, I should say.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 04:43:08 pm »

Hm, that's a terrible site. Complete hypochondriac trap. Downright irresponsible, in fact, I should say.

It is especially horrible for people, such as me, who are not only concerned about their health but who are near hypochondriacs with a tendency to unconsciously create imagined and exagerated symptoms.

Heck one time I was very sick and I went to see a doctor and right infront of the building... I WAS CURED! instantly.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 05:08:35 pm »

Hypochondria is pretty much defined by having hallucinations of illness compounded by paranoia. It's made all that much worse by problems that aren't you hallucinating.

I had an episode today. My bookbag pinched a nerve in my shoulder, and when I took it off I felt my arm was numb, so my mind jumped to the conclusion I was having a heart attack. Thankfully, my rational side won over and I decided my best bet would be to pre-dial 911 and just hold my phone while I sat down and waited for what I figured wouldn't come. Eventually, the numbness subsided and I was fine.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 09:28:17 pm »

Most hospitals I know of have some sort of advice nurse line you can call. Typically they can tell you what, if anything, you can do at home and/or schedule an appointment if one is necessary.

Hypochondria is a pretty overused word and only refers to really extreme, irrational paranoia about one's health. For most people who don't have a degree in medicine there's no reasonable way to know what symptoms mean or what's causing them, and letting your imagination take over is unfortunately the most natural response. The best thing to do is to get an opinion from someone who knows what they're talking about, and unlike doctors who have a busy schedule, advice nurses are paid to talk to people who don't know if their symptoms are serious or not.

So yeah, find an advice line for a local hospital if you can.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 09:35:49 pm »

Somehow this thread become what I didn't intend.

Though it is interesting the symptoms you can drum up that people think are very serious but that you think is normal. For example I get a colds constantly and for a long time (sometimes for a whole month). I wanted to check if it is an alergy but the advice I was given is never to get alergy tests unless it is serious.

My shortness of breath for example is being caused by a particularly percistant chest cold that I have had for about a week now (it created a thin layer of flem. It is particularly bad when I ran and I had to stop immediately)

I told this to a friend and they almost went bezerk with "That isn't normal"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 09:41:26 pm »

Why not? Allergy tests are not hard to do, and if you're having cold-like symptoms and possible asthma attacks you might want to get it checked. That way you'd know whether you could treat it like an allergy (or get desensitized, though that takes years).

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 09:43:00 pm »

Why not? Allergy tests are not hard to do, and if you're having cold-like symptoms and possible asthma attacks you might want to get it checked. That way you'd know whether you could treat it like an allergy (or get desensitized, though that takes years).

They require the 1000 needles of death apperantly that is so painful that it can cause people to lose consciousness. (I once tried to test to see if it was alergies as I tend to sneeze a lot in my Sister's room... But after I tested it after eating I didn't sneeze once. So unless Alergies can subvert themselves... It isn't)

Also I should state that my constant colds have been around for years.

Also... Is that REALLY what Asthma is like? At least in the ball park? I always thought it was something more like constricted lungs or hyperventilation.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:45:38 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 [2] 3