Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Overseer Melissia Project  (Read 3035 times)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
The Overseer Melissia Project
« on: October 17, 2011, 07:43:12 am »

Armok had a busy day when he created this world.  A massive world with a very long history, Armok planted the seeds of civilization in the fertile, savage world, as well as countless dark beasts and demons.  But he was not uncaring-- in his world he left gifts of metals of all kinds-- if only his mortal children could survive long enough to look for them. With those, they would be strong enough to fend off the beasts that inhabited... if they fought well.

For Armok had no use for weaklings.  In this, the Dimension of Vision, Armok would see which of his children would survive, and which would thrive... and which would fail.

In this world, an elf came into a position of power-- Melissia Blackheart the Moral Suffering.  In another world, she was the last elf alive-- and, determined to make her kind remembered for all eternity, she slaughtered her way across the planet's supercontinent, killing every single bandit, night creature, forgotten beast, and daemon that dared stalk the surface-- and when she finished with that, she followed dwarves into the deepest bowels of the world, slaughtering her way across countless caverns until the dwarves came across a place where no living creature should ever go and were promptly annihilated by the beasts they unleashed.

But then they met Melissia, the greatest heroine ever to grace that world.  With her iron greatsword, she pushed the foul monstrosities back to the nightmarish hole from where they came.  Going in after them, Melissia fought with never-ending tide of unspeakable horrors, battling them day and night, until she finally was forced into a mysterious pit by an exploding corpse. 

But Armok favored her, for she had spilled much blood, even if it was not in his name-- and furthermore, he had a sense of humor.  He sent her soul to be reborn in this new world, waiting for the right time and place... and with her skill, she obtained considerable power within the dwarves as The Prophet of Armok.  She was then given a task... to found a new fortress and make it thrive and stand the test of time.  To once again conquer the depths of the worlds, but this time... she would do it with an army at her back.

So begins anew the tale of Overseer Melissia and the Fortress of Silverblight the Legion of Doom. 

[Melissia's Notes:  Please keep all communications in this thread as letters to "Overseer Melissia", or at least letters to another poster with a BCC to Overseer Melissia if you are responding to someone other than me.  Essentially, roleplay and stay in character.  If you MUST post ooc, do so in spoiler, such as this:]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Overseer Melissia Project
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 08:08:37 am »

To the King,

I, Overseer Melissia, am setting out to found a new fortress, "Silverblight the Fortress of Doom"*.  We are setting out on the Continent of Puzzles to reach The Meandering forest. The area that we are claiming is 5x5 DDU*, the center of which is the center of a Y-shaped stream, "Helpteachers".  The seers have divined that this location has minimal aquifer activity, abundant metals and soil, and though untamed is not tainted with evil. 

From your stores I have requisitioned the following for this purpose (See attached forms) for use by my group, the Bloody Swords of Heaven:

• Two (2) Copper Picks, for mining.
  • Two (2) Copper Battle Axes, for tree-cutting.
  • One (1) Iron Anvil, for our initial forge.
  • Fifteen (15) standard barrels each of:
  • -- Dwarven Ale
  • -- Dwarven Beer
  • -- Dwarven Rum
  • -- Dwarven Wine
  • ---- I would be fine without such drinks, but the dwarves I am setting out with insisted.  At the very least, this should keep them drunk, stupid, and happy enough to obey me without question.
  • Fifteen (15) units each of:
  • -- Plump Helmet
  • -- Plump Helmet Spawn
  • Six (6) units of Mountain Goat Meat
  • A set of equipment for myself, to fend off wildlife, including:
  • -- One (1) Copper Helm
  • -- One (1) Copper Breastplate
  • -- One (1) Copper Greaves
  • -- Two (2) Copper Gauntlets
  • -- Two (2) Copper Low Boots
  • -- One (1) Iron Short Sword
  • ---- This is all you can spare?  No wonder your civilization is dying so much, you're hoarding too much equipment and none of your settlements survive.  Thankfully I will be able to make use of this.
  • A breeding pair of dogs.
  • Two (2) female kittens.
Along with supplies to actually get to the location.  We will embark soon, with myself and seven of your dwarves.  We shall see if the feeble equipment you have allowed us will suffice.

-=≡ Overseer Melissia ≡=-

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:32:30 am by Melissia »

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:26:55 am »

Report #1: 

After dodging the giant platypus and platypus-people (was Armok eating some bad mushrooms when he made those... creatures?), we found a suitably defensible high ground to set up on, surrounded on two sides by ten meter* cliffs. and a river on a third side.  The forest here is thick, and will provide us with plenty of Acacia and Candlenut logs.

Urist SpoiledHearth was eaten by a giant platypus after he decided to go take a bath.  That leaves me and six dwarves.  At least he had nothing valuable to ocntribute to the community, I was planning on making him the group's first soldier, but I see I will have to take that job up myself.

With Armok's blessings, we found a limonite and lignite vein and have begun excavating while we construct our workshops, so perhaps we will be able to make up for your greed by producing our own steel items.  We shall see if you have doomed us all soon enough.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:32:42 am by Melissia »

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:31:51 am »

Report #2: 

Horrifying screams come from the depths, scaring the dwarves-- but not I.  They know that I am here, and they are preparing for me.  The dark creatures of the abyss mass in their forbidden spires, watching, waiting for the time to strike.  A veritable army awaits my dwarves, scratching at their adamantium cages.

I am overfilled with joy.  Slaughter awaits, but first we must prepare our fortress.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:34:01 am by Melissia »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:50:35 am »

Interlude
It was eons ago when our colonization attempt was.. not defeated, but kind of.. delayed... by some supernatural forces. Our expedition parties were encased in a bright substance and put in lethargy. But we wasn't defeated! We have patience, and we can wait.
But now we've been awaken by the similar force as that who confined us. It didn't set us free from glowing substance, but we've felt someone's stare examining us.
We are ready. We are to colonize this world. We will.

&

Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 01:00:48 pm »

Report #3:

To keep the animals out, we have erected wooden walls around our entryway, along with rock doors and a wooden ceiling.  This will not however keep the animal-people out.  For that, we will establish a second set of wooden walls, along with a mechanism-driven bridge door system.  Perhaps we can arrange it so that we can launch anything that gets on it into the river.

I asked our smithy to calculate the trajectory needed for maximum hilarity, and he simply laughed, and approved of my "dwarvishness".  I am not sure if I am insulted.

Today, Morul Showerpapers the Ranger was restricted from hunting, as he tried to attack a giant platypus and I was forced to intervene.  Dwarves really are imbecilic sometimes.  Other than that, our position restricts most creatures from getting near our position, as the land-based creatures are stopped by the terrible amount of rivers, while the water-based creatures are stopped by the sheer cliffs.  This is actually a little boring.  I may decide to patrol along the shoreline to provoke the platypus people.  They're crimes against nature anyway, so it's no harm if I slaughter a few to make sure my sword skills haven't gotten rusty.

It's either that or slaughter my dwarves, and I doubt that would go over well.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:04:48 pm by Melissia »

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 01:44:43 pm »

Report #4:

Carpenter's workshop, mason's workshop, and mechanic's workshop are up.  Construction of seven beds, four doors, and many, many mechanisms has begun. 

As well as deforestation.  From what I've heard of the elves in this land, they do not like to cut down trees-- how ridiculous is that?  From what my parents told me (I never saw it myself, seeing as they were eaten by a troll after I turned ten) elves from my homeworld treated trees with reverence sure, but we still made use of them, for wood is such a lovely construction material-- and I agree with that.  But these elves do not.  Apparently they don't even use metal weapons because you have to burn something to get them-- what nonsense is this?  If those elves get mad at me for cutting down a few trees, I will gladly chop a few elves down instead.

As an aside, my dwarves recommended that I ensure that any underground clay paths be paved (or floored, if I want traps) over to prevent fungus trees from growing on them.  This is sound advice, and I will take it.  Perhaps these dwarves DO have some sense.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:23:08 pm by Melissia »

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 01:56:38 pm »

Report #4, appended note:

No, I was mistaken.  They do not have any sense, or at least not much talent; they are having trouble building a simple roof.  This would shame a human, nevermind a dwarf.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:22:59 pm by Melissia »

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 02:22:49 pm »

Report #5

Had my dwarves remove a the slope around the hill to the west, exfcept for a 1x3 entryway which will be guarded by a bridge on the top of the slope.  Similarly, I have had them dig out a series of channels which will have their slopes removed, and use a bridge to cross them along with the cliffs, creating exactly four points of entry.  The other side of the cliffs will be guarded by more walls, allowing me to put my wood and refuse stockpiles away from my home, while also having access to the other sides of the rivers. 

The dwarves have been less than useful in this project, jumping from place to place and never completing the excavating of an area.  It is lucky that they manage to get anything done at all, really.  I will have to flog them later.

I have taken the hobby of producing and designing mechanisms.  The dwarves have commended me on my craftsmanship, saying I've produced several masterpieces thus far.  I suspect that they are merely flattering me because they are afraid that I will stab them.  Can work with that.  Moment, must go kill an angry carp.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 03:12:24 pm »

To examine location of our conquest, we arranged our minds in hive. The Substance was blocking our insight, but the tube it formed also worked as amplifier, so we sensed precence of other minds high above.

Dwarves. They are the threat, but the hope also. They are attracted to Substance, they do the most work of releasing us. And then... we win.

Till that, we will listen to their minds and grow the eagerness in them. The most passionate ones are to be the most reliable tool for us

&

Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 03:57:14 pm »

Report #6:

We have the wooden walls up, as well as a trench in front of them-- only access to this fort is now over four bridges.  Two of them are shut off, because an elephant horde is on the other side.  Not deadly creatures, but annoying.  I'll open it again once the butchery is finished, they should provide wonderful meats for our stocks.

Five separate kobold thieves attempted to steal from our stockpiles.  Five separate corpses had to be drug out.  This short sword is a bit small for my likings, but it works well enough.  Both of our dogs are stunned, perhaps paralyzed.  Will have to appoint a doctor to deal with this.

Constructed an outdoors wood furnace, with three levels each with its own separate furnace.  Saves space underground when this is where the wood stockpile is anyway. 

An immigrant wave provided enough labor, so now I'm setting them the task of smoothing out the stone walls in this fortress, to make it look more appealing.  One of them was a peasant.  I was pleased by him saying he didn't have any useful skills, so I made him the manager.  This shocked the other dwarves, but a few threats solved that problem.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:01:30 pm by Melissia »

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 04:01:15 pm »

Report #6, appended note:

DIE TASTY RARE CREATURES!  GIVE ME YOUR MEATS!

It's been so long since I've eaten an animal in danger of going extinct.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 04:05:44 pm »

Report #6, appended note part 2:

The dwarves ate my Elephant Meat before I could.

That's it.  EVERYONE DIES!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:07:26 pm by Melissia »

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 04:07:04 pm »

Report #6, appended note part 3:

They very quickly and wisely cooked me a hunk of elephant meat with flour, mushrooms, and sweet pods.

I am satisfied.  For now.

Let us recommence building of workshops and dormitories.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 05:32:59 pm »

Report #7:

I have ordered the construction of additional picks and axes to speed up harvesting of wood and ore.  I WILL have my steel armor!

That said, the doors are open again (or bridges more accurately).  Time to go out and offend some elves, if there were any around here to offend.

Hm, aren't  I an elf? It's funny talking like this.  I don't like these dwarves that much, but at least they like to be productive in their lives... rather than sit around eating herbs.  Of course, it could just be the dwarves mocking elves because I am one.  If they are, I will kill one as an example.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:35:02 pm by Melissia »
Pages: [1] 2 3