Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Dtil - Updated September 14th 2008 - 40d  (Read 38888 times)

Jorgon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wiki.shiware.com
Re: Dtil - Updated June 7th 2008
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 01:24:00 pm »

How would you want to do the image import?

The first thought that comes to mind is one pixel per tile, color coded. The other part of my brain tells me what you would really want, is better editing tools inside of digger itself. (Boxes, lines, copy, paste, delete, zoom, etc). The current "Click the square to change it" was just a quick way to get it working.

I will start working on that, along with custom sizes, but I have no ETA.

The next release should include a working plugin system with SDK, for you other .net developers.

For the sdl problem, I will have to look at that. I haven't heard of any issues with 64 bit, or Vista, but that doesn't mean there isn't any.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

No, I've used sdl on this machine in the past.  The exception report doesn't look useful to me but if you want it it's yours.

Editing would be great, but, if I'm planning a really complicated bit I often export bmps and shrink them to one pixel per tile in gimp and doodle on that to think it through.  Import is more useful than editing for that, and it means that you only have to write code to load simple bmp files rather than a full editor which gimp / paint can do better.  It's your software though  :)

Jorgon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

I was actually thinking it might be a problem calling sdl from a .net app, but like I said, I haven't tried it out myself yet.

A simple import/export would be pretty easy to do, but the editor itself needs some more features anyway. I have resizing done, and I have added a "Unchanged" designation so it is friendlier to existing fort designations. Zoom will be easy to add, zooming out to 1 pixel per tile.

There is still some work for me to do before uploading the new version.

Rick

• Bay Watcher
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

I see I have competition now. Curious why you decided to make a new host tool instead of making stuff for Tweak?

As for a license suggestion, all I can suggest is don't succumb to the evil that is GPL. Go with a BSD/zlib/etc license.

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Rick ]

Jorgon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »

Well I mostly did it for the experience. I have been working on a 3D engine for a few months now, and needed a project to code up to find the flaws and incomplete portions. I thought a live version of dwarvis would be a good way to test it out. It does look like I will be able to keep it updating in real-time using some tricks, but I got wrapped up in little utilities. It was originally only going to be for my own use, but I have gotten sick of my code rotting on my source control server, not being used by anybody but me.

I was thinking of going with something more open than GPL. It really is just a toy project, but it would cheese me off to find someone trying to charge for it.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
<STRONG>As for a license suggestion, all I can suggest is don't succumb to the evil that is GPL. Go with a BSD/zlib/etc license.</STRONG>

Off topic, forgive me, but I've heard that said before. Why is the GPL considered evil? Anyone have a link to an informative article of some sort? I've looked around, but I couldn't find much.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jorgon:
<STRONG>The 3D view is still a work in progress, and while it would work OK if you have a single core machine, dual or greater will probably be necessary later on. Use WADS to move around, and q and e to change Z level.</STRONG>

Is there anything else needed for this to work? When I run it (Map->Load From Memory, then View->3D Rendering), the 3D view window is solid black. This is with a fortress loaded and left paused in DF in the background. WASD, Q, and E do nothing that I can tell.
Mainly I'm just curious as to how it would look, so if you or someone else could post a screenshot of it that would be cool.

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>

Off topic, forgive me, but I've heard that said before. Why is the GPL considered evil? Anyone have a link to an informative article of some sort? I've looked around, but I couldn't find much.</STRONG>

To risk thread derailment, check out this for starters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpl#Criticism

Personally I have no problem with the GPL myself, but the license is more restrictive than the BSD/zlib etc.  Plus I think they've gone a touch off the deep-end with r3 of the license.  But in my opinion, anyone who spend their time writing code and then releases the code in any form for others to look at and improve upon should be lauded.  Arguing about licenses is just too much of a distraction.

Jorgon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 09:06:00 pm »

It starts rendering on the lowest Z level, so you have to use the Q button to increase it. There is a bug right now that will make it crash as soon as you get to a visible spot. I will post when the 3d is working again. It isn't much to look at right now anyway.

Jorgon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 07:29:00 pm »

Version 0.0.0.3 Released.

And now that I look at it, I forgot to rename the tile editor form.

Symmetry, quick question, are you running the download package, or are you building from source? There was one step missing from the instructions for building from source. It is updated on the wiki.

[Edit: Symmetry, not Janus had the issue, corrected]

[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: Jorgon ]

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 10:27:00 am »

Hey what versions is this compatible with?

Jorgon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 10:33:00 am »

It is only compatible with 0.27.176.38c right now, but adding other versions just requires researching the memory offsets and adding them into the Memory.ini file. Almost all of them are either already available, or easy to find.

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

i think most of us have been waiting for something like this ^_^ keep making it better and im right behide you (muahahahahah i know sounds wrong =p)
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

This utility looks fantastic.  I've got a question, though: Is this going to blossom into a catch-all utility plus real-time 3D viewer, or are there some areas you'd just leave untouched or for the plug-in writers?

The reason I ask, is because I'd absolutely love to have the ability to injure specific body parts added at some point.

Jorgon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

An SDK will be made available after I finalize an API, so plugin writers will be welcome to contribute. Also, I am willing to grant trusted plugin writers write access into SVN, and join the "team".

I may make any 3rd party plugins part of the standard distribution with the authors permission.

My end goal, is to make it a catch all utility, hopefully with the help of other community members.

It is still fairly rough though. There are a lot of features I can think of that it should have, but I think my time may start running short. My wife and I are purchasing our first house, and with any luck, in a month we will be moving.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11