Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXVIII - GAME OVER - Graduation [2/7, 0/2, 1/1]  (Read 76383 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVIII - GAME OVER - Graduation [2/7, 0/2, 1/1]
« Reply #435 on: November 23, 2011, 03:07:22 am »

Yeah, I tried to get my claim in as close to the end of the day as possible to avoid conflicting claims, with either a real doctor or a scum fakeclaim.  I was so stoked when I found out I'd died; I don't think I've ever been so excited at being killed in a game, actually, I was this close to running out onto the street pumping my fists and screaming "It worked!  I died!  We won!".  But I'll turn the whole gambit thing off when I'm playing against more experienced players, so Shake, you can take that eye off me now  :P

Shark, Shakerag: I'm going to have to congratulate both of you on games well played.  Especially Shark's very convincing D2 play and Shakerag's excellent D3 and D4.
Andrew: your cop claim was perfectly timed, and I think I can safely name it as the turning point of the game.
To everyone: pats on the back and champagne!

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 23, 2011, 04:34:00 am »

Hoe very interesting.
Any idea when the next beginner's mafia is coming guys? I'm a newcomer here who's interested.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 23, 2011, 08:44:33 am »

Fakeclaiming doctor can work (Org pulled it off beautifully as a Paranoid War Vet in an early Paranormal- the dopps took the bait and offed him, costing them a team member) but in a limited role setup like this one it's very dangerous.

Claiming a fake result with a real role like that is usually bad.  SaintDraze tried fakeclaiming cop when he wasn't in BMXXI, and it backfired on him badly.  (It didn't help that the scum team knew he was lying, due to the nature of his claim.)

I'll admit to having lost the thread of the game sometime D3, so any post-game advice I have won't be super helpful, but I'll be glad to answer any specific questions you have.

The next beginner game shouldn't be too long in starting.  I think we have a good crop of potential here.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 23, 2011, 01:37:29 pm »

Great game, but I ran out of steam around D3. I just started messing up badly, and my D4 was pretty horrible.

Grats shakerag, you played really well. Good job :D

Remalle, I actually didn't kill you because of your claim. I didn't even notice it, I completely MISSED IT until D4. >__>;;;
I killed you because I thought that my only hope of lynching someone was trying to lynch shakerag.

I'll be in the next beginners mafia too, that was pretty great.
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 23, 2011, 03:59:57 pm »

Yeah, I mean going into D3 I thought you (Shark) were certainly town, but when you were balls to the wall about hanging Shoes and not being analytical about who could be lying or godfather, etc. ... that's what definately roused my suspicion.  If you had played D3/D4 like you had D1/D2 ... I might have been pretty screwed.  And, of course, Remalle's late D2 actions were making me think he had to be scum. 

I caught that you didn't see Remalle's fakeclaim, but I thought that all but confirmed you were a godfather to me.  You couldn't kill me, because you'd have a cop and a cleared townie, and since you didn't think that Andrew was being protected, you had to have had a reason for shooting Remalle instead, which led me to think that you didn't care if a cop was still alive, because you'd come up as town anyway.  I didn't even really consider you might have been a roleblocker at all.  Which, come to think of it, makes me realize what Andrew's RVS-like question D4 was about. 

And, speaking of Andrew, when you posted your result that Shark came up as town, I very much exclaimed outloud "Well ... fuck.  That makes my job so much harder."  I wonder if I would have stepped up as much as I did if you had said you were roleblocked instead.  But even if the ICs think it was a bad idea, I can see your reasoning behind what you did, and perhaps I haven't been giving you enough credit :)

It was certainly a ... ballsy game, with a lot of faking going on =P  I have to admit that even I toyed around with the idea of fakeclaiming doctor D4 so as to try and make certain Andrew was on my side, but I didn't think I could pull it off, and since there was no way to 100% prove what I was saying it either would have not benefitted me at all or even hurt me in the end. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 23, 2011, 04:39:56 pm »

Great game, but I ran out of steam around D3. I just started messing up badly, and my D4 was pretty horrible.
The thing that caught my suspicion about you was the "pretty obvious I'm town" bit which just reeked of the type of smugness that has no place at 5-2 LyLo. Still, you put up a pretty good fight. Congrats on staying alive until the last possible day.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 23, 2011, 07:03:49 pm »

Fakeclaiming doctor can work (Org pulled it off beautifully as a Paranoid War Vet in an early Paranormal- the dopps took the bait and offed him, costing them a team member) but in a limited role setup like this one it's very dangerous.
Bah. I get no credit for that. Org knows the truth.

Claiming a fake result with a real role like that is usually bad.  SaintDraze tried fakeclaiming cop when he wasn't in BMXXI, and it backfired on him badly.  (It didn't help that the scum team knew he was lying, due to the nature of his claim.)
It's best to fakeclaim if:
1.) You have to.
2.) You have a REEEEEALLY good reason to.

Claiming Doctor to protect the Cop is actually not as bad of a move. You either waste the Mafia's mafiakill, or you might waste the Mafia's roleblock. It also can't be confirmed in this game.

The next beginner game shouldn't be too long in starting.  I think we have a good crop of potential here.
I still call BM XXX.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 23, 2011, 09:19:22 pm »

Yup.  The next is XXIX, though.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]