Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXVIII - GAME OVER - Graduation [2/7, 0/2, 1/1]  (Read 76400 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVIII - D1 - Good Day to Test [7/7, 2/2, 1/1]
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2011, 09:10:20 pm »

'For the good of the town' is a silly rhetorical phrase and it has no place in mafia. There are only straightforward arguments free of fluff. Saying things like 'for the good of the town' makes me think that you're trying to make a crappy argument better by throwing in irrelevant rhetorical flourishes and it makes me think you're trying to look town without scumhunting, which is a legitimately suspicious thing to do.
Ok, I see your point.  Thanks for the advice.

K, so, after reading back I don't see anybody arousing my suspicion more than Dracon already has.  So, I'm going to keep my vote on you.
Dracon.  If you were on the side of mafia, how would you choose your targets in the beginning, mid-, and end-games?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2011, 10:08:16 pm »

He was mesmerised by my avatar.

You are feeling veeeeryyy sleeeeepyyyyy. You want to tell me if you are a scum or a townie....

*fingers crossed*

This is pointless.

That sounds really fun.

This is also pointless.

Damnit, at least at this early period you SHOULD suspect everybody. Force them to talk more, and they might let slip something that helps you guess who it is.

Inb4 one of the two mafiosos somehow gets killed in the first day and it turns out to be whoever has least votes against them atm.

You don't have to play like a paranoid wreck in this game by suspecting everybody right from the outset. You also run into problems where you don't have anything to suspect anyone for.

Shark: I don't, I just think he is town, though I guess we'll find out shortly. My other suspicion is that it's Dsarker + ShoesandHats, since Shoes voted for Dsarker then unvoted without giving an opinion on it, as if he wanted to seem like they weren't allies. They're now both trying to lynch drakon136, as well.

Calling scumteams early tends to work out very poorly for anybody who does it.

Instead of trying to pin people by whatever interactions they have with people that you consider scummy, just pin people for the things they do on their own. Individual scum tells, instead of scumteam tells. Only once one scum has flipped is it a good idea to start raking through his interactions to see what does, or more likely, doesn't come up.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2011, 11:41:35 pm »

Jim[/n]: Right.

Imo it's a little hard to know who to vote for on round 1, because nothing has happened yet and all we really have is a bit of meaningless banter to decide from.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2011, 08:17:09 am »

Dsarker() -
Remalle(1) - Caz,
Shoesandhats() -
Shark() -
Caz(1) - Shark,
Andrew456() -
drakon136(3) - Andrew456, Dsarker, Remalle,
Jim Groovester() -
Toaster() -

Not Voting(4) - Shoesandhats, drakon136, Jim Groovester, Toaster.

The day ends tomorrow, October 21, at 5:00 PM GMT.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2011, 08:23:50 am »

Shoesandhats

Why aren't you voting? Do you suspect anyone yet?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2011, 08:40:11 am »

Shoesandhats

Why aren't you voting? Do you suspect anyone yet?

Trying to draw suspicion away from your partner? drakon136, Jim and Toaster also haven't voted. :P

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2011, 08:41:59 am »

Oh, yes.

Jim

Especially you. Why haven't you voted? You're an experienced player. What has caused you to decide to bypass lynching this turn?
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2011, 08:59:31 am »

The reason I haven't voted yet is because I don't want to accidentally lynch a townie, even if that almost always happens on the first day. If I have to vote for someone, I guess I'd go with Drakon. He has been acting somewhat suspicious.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2011, 12:04:29 pm »

Dsarker:

Additional: It would also be good to occasionally throw doubt on the person who started the vote if you hit a townie with a lynch. Of course, that only works if you position the doubts before the lynching and yet also don't cause enough doubt that it makes people stop lynching them.

This is a bad reason to suspect someone.  If someone had a solid case on a person who flipped town, that does not make them scummy.  Someone being on the vote with poor reasons, especially if it was a late or tiebreaker vote- that is a reason to suspect someone.
I meant that as the scum, I would do this.

I understand that.  I'm saying that as scum OR town, this is a bad thing to do.  This is meant as advice to everyone here.

ShoesandHats:
Sorry for not posting in a while. School and all. In response to all the people asking me my reason for it, I'm voting for Dsarker...Well, actually, since the roleblocker question incident, he hasn't acted very scummy. Hopefully you guys won't go lynching me just because I'm withdrawing my vote for him. Drakon is indeed acting a bit evasive, though I'm not going to vote for him unless he gets a bit more suspicious.

If you want to unvote someone, you have to specifically do so by saying "Unvote PlayerName" in red.

Also, there's no reason for that next-to-last sentence.  It makes you look worried about your vote.

The reason I haven't voted yet is because I don't want to accidentally lynch a townie, even if that almost always happens on the first day. If I have to vote for someone, I guess I'd go with Drakon. He has been acting somewhat suspicious.

This is a great place to give examples.  Without them, this reasoning is meaningless.

Jim:  Fair enough.

Caz:

What do you think about it? Is he new or scummy? Both? Neither?

How about some definitive opinions, man.

Well, he seemed scummy about how he backed off from scumhunting when others were asking him what he was doing, like he didn't want to draw attention to himself. But... it just seems too obvious. I'm gonna go with the opinion that he is town. It also feels like I'd just be going with the bandwagon of suspicion if I changed my vote to him now.

It's not a bandwagon if you back up your vote with good reasons.

In general, you shouldn't be worried about doing something that may look suspect like you said you were- if your reasoning behind doing something (like voting someone with several votes already) is solid, then it's a perfectly valid action.

Shark: I don't, I just think he is town, though I guess we'll find out shortly. My other suspicion is that it's Dsarker + ShoesandHats, since Shoes voted for Dsarker then unvoted without giving an opinion on it, as if he wanted to seem like they weren't allies. They're now both trying to lynch drakon136, as well.

99% of the time, you shouldn't try to be building scum teams this early on.  Weigh each person on their individual actions, instead of how they act as a group.  Once you are certain someone is scum after they're lynched, you can look back for incriminating connections.  Your case on a person should still be able to stand on its own, however.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2011, 06:04:49 pm »

Caz

If you were scum, how would you try to protect your partner if he was under suspicion?

Dsarker

If you're a townie, how would you avoid getting killed by the scum?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2011, 06:14:51 pm »

Shoesandhats

I'm not sure how you could, other than trying to lynch them first. It just seems to me that we townies are just ablative armour for a huge piece of artillery, and sometimes we get hit by the enemy, sometimes we have a malfuction, sometimes we self destruct.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2011, 06:36:18 pm »

Oh, yes.

Jim

Especially you. Why haven't you voted? You're an experienced player. What has caused you to decide to bypass lynching this turn?

Because you're all noobs and it's hard to tell the noobtown from the noobscum if you all have no idea what you're supposed to be doing.

Caz

If you were scum, how would you try to protect your partner if he was under suspicion?

Dsarker

If you're a townie, how would you avoid getting killed by the scum?

You have silly notions of what it means to be town and scum.

If you're scum and your partner is suspicious, you bus him, making you look less suspicious in the process. This requires some skill to pull off convincingly, else you just look like you bussed your partner.

As a townie, you shouldn't care about trying to avoid being nightkilled, even if you have a good role. Excellent scumhunting is worth more than the results of any night action.

Reasons.

How many times do I have to repeat this?

Reasons.

Also, ShoesandHats, how is he only 'somewhat' suspicious? I don't think you actually suspect drakon136 at all. Else you would have reasons and wouldn't have to qualify your vague vote with 'somewhat.'

Also, drakon136 has disappeared.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 20, 2011, 06:45:47 pm »

Caz

I wouldn't. It would look scummy.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 20, 2011, 07:00:05 pm »

Blegh. I always forget the stupid reasons (which is probably not good at all.) He was generally dodging questions, because the answers would supposedly "help the scum." Even if he has disappeared, he was probably scum anyways.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2011, 07:04:01 pm »

That was way back in the RVS before anybody, you included, knew what to do.

It's not so bad reasoning actually, if you don't have any better idea of what to do. If you conceal your plan, the scum will be surprised by it, no? Nevermind that he was dead wrong.

Do you have anything more recent you find him suspicious for? I still find your reasons unsatisfactory.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30