Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXVIII - GAME OVER - Graduation [2/7, 0/2, 1/1]  (Read 76443 times)

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVIII - D1 - Good Day to Test [7/7, 2/2, 1/1]
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2011, 04:20:12 pm »

Yes, I'm screwing up my role as a townie, because people are now trying to lynch me.
And why did you even ask that?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2011, 04:41:05 pm »

Drakon:
Drakon, you keep backpedaling whenever the slightest pressure comes your way. Why are you so afraid to mess up?
I'm afraid someone will lynch me if I screw up, even this early. Why would I want to be the first person lynched in the first game I played?

Someone has to be first.  It's really not a problem if you learn from it.

Drakon, your not wanting to accidentally lynch a townie (at a point where there's no advantage to the town to NOT random lynch) seems suspicious to me.  Do you have a reason?
My reason is the same as above, I don't want to be lynched for screwing up. I've seen that happen a few times on other boards after only one person was lynched.

I'm overly cautious. It's in my nature.

If you're not aggressive* in your attacks, then you're not going to make scum crack.  Hitting them with a sledgehammer is a lot better than poking them with a noodle.

*[That said, don't be a jerk.  Be forceful, which doesn't mean personal attacks.  Expect to see your arguments called stupid at some point- just remember, it's only a game.  We tend to be aggressive and confrontational ingame, but friendly outside of it.]

Caz:  Fair enough.

drakon136 seems to be acting scummy, but it could just be because he's new.

This kind of passive statement doesn't get things done.  Take a firm stand on issues- don't waffle around.  Do you think he is scum or new-town?  Why?

A great player here once said that you should never show doubt- something I think is good advice.

Dsarker:

Dsarker

If you were scum how would you be playing differently?

I'd be trying to avoid lynching at all costs.

That's one way to catch out scum- find people doing just that.

Additional: It would also be good to occasionally throw doubt on the person who started the vote if you hit a townie with a lynch. Of course, that only works if you position the doubts before the lynching and yet also don't cause enough doubt that it makes people stop lynching them.

This is a bad reason to suspect someone.  If someone had a solid case on a person who flipped town, that does not make them scummy.  Someone being on the vote with poor reasons, especially if it was a late or tiebreaker vote- that is a reason to suspect someone.

Unvote Shark.  Meant to do that when you answered my question.

Jim:  Let's assume you're scum.  If the nonplaying scum IC tried to tell you to do something differently, and you believed your way was right, how would you handle it?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2011, 05:16:55 pm »

Additional: It would also be good to occasionally throw doubt on the person who started the vote if you hit a townie with a lynch. Of course, that only works if you position the doubts before the lynching and yet also don't cause enough doubt that it makes people stop lynching them.

This is a bad reason to suspect someone.  If someone had a solid case on a person who flipped town, that does not make them scummy.  Someone being on the vote with poor reasons, especially if it was a late or tiebreaker vote- that is a reason to suspect someone.
I meant that as the scum, I would do this.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2011, 05:23:20 pm »

Sorry for not posting in a while. School and all. In response to all the people asking me my reason for it, I'm voting for Dsarker...Well, actually, since the roleblocker question incident, he hasn't acted very scummy. Hopefully you guys won't go lynching me just because I'm withdrawing my vote for him. Drakon is indeed acting a bit evasive, though I'm not going to vote for him unless he gets a bit more suspicious.

Drakon136

If you were scum, how would you try to avoid detection if a bunch of suspicion was placed on you?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2011, 05:36:17 pm »

But isn't scumhunting for the good of the town?

No, it's to win the game.

'For the good of the town' is a silly rhetorical phrase and it has no place in mafia. There are only straightforward arguments free of fluff. Saying things like 'for the good of the town' makes me think that you're trying to make a crappy argument better by throwing in irrelevant rhetorical flourishes and it makes me think you're trying to look town without scumhunting, which is a legitimately suspicious thing to do.

Jim Groovester
If you were scum and people were getting ready to lynch you what would you do to get away?

By that point it's probably too late to get away for any significant period of time.

I'd tie the vote if I could, and vehemently accuse everyone who was attacking me of being lazy and not doing their jobs and repeatedly stressing that I was town.

The best way to stay out of the noose is by making certain well beforehand that nobody has any reason to suspect you. This is accomplished by hunting like town.

Jim:  Let's assume you're scum.  If the nonplaying scum IC tried to tell you to do something differently, and you believed your way was right, how would you handle it?

I'd have a hard time believing that the nonplaying scum IC would be or could be more knowledgeable about playing scum than I am, so I would explain why I thought I was right and do what I thought was right anyway.

So basically I'd tell him to fuck off, but politely.

Sorry for not posting in a while. School and all. In response to all the people asking me my reason for it, I'm voting for Dsarker...Well, actually, since the roleblocker question incident, he hasn't acted very scummy. Hopefully you guys won't go lynching me just because I'm withdrawing my vote for him. Drakon is indeed acting a bit evasive, though I'm not going to vote for him unless he gets a bit more suspicious.

Votes are cast by red text. To remove your vote, put "unvote" in red text.

Why did you suspect him in the first place? It's great to know that you don't think he's that scummy anymore but you can't just walk away from your vote by saying that.

Reasons. What were they?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2011, 05:47:11 pm »

He was mesmerised by my avatar.

You are feeling veeeeryyy sleeeeepyyyyy. You want to tell me if you are a scum or a townie....

*fingers crossed*
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2011, 05:48:16 pm »

What do you think about it? Is he new or scummy? Both? Neither?

How about some definitive opinions, man.

Well, he seemed scummy about how he backed off from scumhunting when others were asking him what he was doing, like he didn't want to draw attention to himself. But... it just seems too obvious. I'm gonna go with the opinion that he is town. It also feels like I'd just be going with the bandwagon of suspicion if I changed my vote to him now.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2011, 05:50:48 pm »

So question why we believe he is scum. If you don't think our evidence is enough, point out where it is lacking.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2011, 06:00:58 pm »

Also, in reply to Jim's wise advice,

Unvote Dsarker

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2011, 06:14:44 pm »

Drakon136

If you were scum, how would you try to avoid detection if a bunch of suspicion was placed on you?
Well, I would try my best to answer their questions, without giving myself away, and try to get them to suspect another person.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2011, 06:37:46 pm »

Shark: Which role is your favorite in this? Why?

I don't have enough experience with the bonus roles in this game to make that decision. As i've said previously, if I had a choice, i'd probably pick godfather.

If you want a less boring answer, my favorite role I've ever gotten to play was a text-based mafia role, the mafia ventriloquist. The ventriloquist can talk using other people's usernames. Chaos erupted shortly.

Unvote

Caz, you seem afraid to proceed. When you have reasons to vote someone, you're scared that the town will jump on you for it, so you hide your reasons, and you don't try to figure out if he's scummy or noobish, you leave it for others to figure out. You're making it seem like your personal image is more important than finding scum. Why do you want to survive so badly?
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2011, 06:44:00 pm »

Shark: Which role is your favorite in this? Why?

I don't have enough experience with the bonus roles in this game to make that decision. As i've said previously, if I had a choice, i'd probably pick godfather.

If you want a less boring answer, my favorite role I've ever gotten to play was a text-based mafia role, the mafia ventriloquist. The ventriloquist can talk using other people's usernames. Chaos erupted shortly.

That sounds really fun.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2011, 07:02:36 pm »

Shark: I don't, I just think he is town, though I guess we'll find out shortly. My other suspicion is that it's Dsarker + ShoesandHats, since Shoes voted for Dsarker then unvoted without giving an opinion on it, as if he wanted to seem like they weren't allies. They're now both trying to lynch drakon136, as well.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2011, 07:15:27 pm »

I gave my opinion on it, which was that he had acted somewhat scummy back when Jim asked him about being a roleblocker and now he hasn't done anything particularly suspicious. I'm not saying he isn't a suspect, but still.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2011, 07:22:06 pm »

Damnit, at least at this early period you SHOULD suspect everybody. Force them to talk more, and they might let slip something that helps you guess who it is.

Inb4 one of the two mafiosos somehow gets killed in the first day and it turns out to be whoever has least votes against them atm.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30