Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXVIII - GAME OVER - Graduation [2/7, 0/2, 1/1]  (Read 76394 times)

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVIII - D1 - Good Day to Test [7/7, 2/2, 1/1]
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2011, 02:48:00 pm »

Shark: Which role is your favorite in this? Why?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2011, 03:17:51 pm »

drakon136
Eh, this is a tough one, but I'd have to say Dsarker.

You've voted but you haven't said why.

Your reasons for your vote are critical. Not having any is one of the scummiest things you can do.

Explain why you think drakon136 and Dsarker are scummy enough to be voted, the both of you.

Yeah, I won't be voting for anyone today. I don't want to take the risk of accidentally lynching another townie.

Being cowardly won't help you find and catch scum.

I'm afraid someone will lynch me if I screw up, even this early. Why would I want to be the first person lynched in the first game I played?

. . .

My reason is the same as above, I don't want to be lynched for screwing up. I've seen that happen a few times on other boards after only one person was lynched.

You don't seem to realize that mislynching some town isn't that big of a deal. Not if the reasons going into a lynch are generally agreed to be good.

If you don't want to be lynched then you need to hunt for scum. It's the only way to look town in this game, and if you look town then you won't be lynched. But scumhunting's the only way to do it.

There is nothing else. Refusing to hunt at all, like you're doing now, will end up with you getting lynched.

I'm overly cautious. It's in my nature.

Nope, sorry. Nobody gets to claim personality traits as an excuse to not scumhunt. The town isn't going to win if it's made up of a bunch wallflowers.

I told you to be bold, so be bold. You're going to make mistakes so you better go make them spectacularly, so that me and Toaster have more to look over and correct. That's the fastest way to improve.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2011, 03:19:13 pm »

Remalle, do you have any previous experience playing mafia?
Yes.  I'm playing Beginner's partially because I've never played forum mafia and partially because I haven't played any form of mafia in a very long time.

Drakon: You say in your post that this is your first game of mafia, and that you've watched other games being played.  Is that the extent of your experience?  Also, are you aware how scummy it looks when you seem to be placing your own well-being over the good of the town?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2011, 03:24:54 pm »

Toaster:  This is my first forum mafia. I've played IRC mafia before but I had no idea what I was doing, how to look for scum, etc. It was still fun. I've read a few pages of mafia on this forum and browsed the wiki, but I'm pretty green.

drakon136 seems to be acting scummy, but it could just be because he's new.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2011, 03:27:24 pm »

Dsarker, Shoes, why did you vote for who you did, and why didn't you provide any reasons or questions?

I voted drakon136 because he had been evasive with his answers to the point of not answering them because it would help scum. I did not post a reason because I was tired (to the extent of not being able to bother myself with getting a computer up) and was posting on a mobile device.

It has seemed that the pressure is causing him to become more defensive, which is apparently a scumtell.
drakon136
Eh, this is a tough one, but I'd have to say Dsarker.

You've voted but you haven't said why.

Your reasons for your vote are critical. Not having any is one of the scummiest things you can do.

Explain why you think drakon136 and Dsarker are scummy enough to be voted, the both of you.

I have now made these clear. Are they satisfactory?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2011, 03:33:55 pm »

drakon136 seems to be acting scummy, but it could just be because he's new.

What do you think about it? Is he new or scummy? Both? Neither?

How about some definitive opinions, man.

I voted drakon136 because he had been evasive with his answers to the point of not answering them because it would help scum. I did not post a reason because I was tired (to the extent of not being able to bother myself with getting a computer up) and was posting on a mobile device.

So, to clarify, him evading answering questions helps scum. But this seems to imply that he's not scum, else you'd be saying that him evading answering questions helps him as scum.

I have now made these clear. Are they satisfactory?

The explanation is, but the reasons themselves... not so much.

Also, are you aware how scummy it looks when you seem to be placing your own well-being over the good of the town?

Who cares about the good of the town. That isn't anything anybody should be caring about.

The town wins when the scum are dead so go find scum instead of worrying about 'the good of the town.'
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2011, 03:35:54 pm »

Andrew, you haven't been very active recently. Who do you suspect, and why?

Currently I suspect Dsarker and drakon. Drakon because he seems like he is trying to play town too hard.  I don't have a good reason yet for Dsarker, i'm just going to prod until he proves me right or wrong.

Dsarker

If you were scum how would you be playing differently?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2011, 03:37:46 pm »

I don't have a good reason yet for Dsarker,

Then you don't actually suspect Dsarker.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2011, 03:44:54 pm »

Also, are you aware how scummy it looks when you seem to be placing your own well-being over the good of the town?
Who cares about the good of the town. That isn't anything anybody should be caring about.
The town wins when the scum are dead so go find scum instead of worrying about 'the good of the town.'
But isn't scumhunting for the good of the town?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2011, 03:46:11 pm »

Dsarker

I'd be trying to avoid lynching at all costs. Whether that be by creating doubt about the evidence or by starting another lynch target so as to equalise the number of votes and thus stop any chance of lynching.

That's because lynching is the only way for town to win. Without it, town loses. Sure, you could sometimes get a townie via lynching, and if this was possible, that'd be good. But otherwise, halting the lynching is best.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2011, 03:47:21 pm »

I don't have a good reason yet for Dsarker,

Then you don't actually suspect Dsarker.

I guess so then

Jim Groovester
If you were scum and people were getting ready to lynch you what would you do to get away?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2011, 03:50:19 pm »

Dsarker

I'd be trying to avoid lynching at all costs. Whether that be by creating doubt about the evidence or by starting another lynch target so as to equalise the number of votes and thus stop any chance of lynching.

That's because lynching is the only way for town to win. Without it, town loses. Sure, you could sometimes get a townie via lynching, and if this was possible, that'd be good. But otherwise, halting the lynching is best.

Additional: It would also be good to occasionally throw doubt on the person who started the vote if you hit a townie with a lynch. Of course, that only works if you position the doubts before the lynching and yet also don't cause enough doubt that it makes people stop lynching them.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »

Darkon136

Would you prefer to have a power role or not? Why?

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2011, 04:01:56 pm »

I would rather not have a power role, because it makes the game harder for me. If I had a power role, I'd end up screwing up like I am now due to lack of experience, and get lynched, and the side I was on loses an important person.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2011, 04:09:09 pm »

drakon136

Are you admitting that you are screwing up your role?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30