Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXVIII - GAME OVER - Graduation [2/7, 0/2, 1/1]  (Read 76376 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVIII - D1 - Good Day to Test [7/7, 2/2, 1/1]
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2011, 12:31:00 am »

Okay, then. Dsarker, why did you say that your favorite role was scum?

Because it's the only one which allows an easily understandable strategy. You know who is on your side and who isn't, and you know how to do it easily.

Unfortunately, we townies don't get that.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2011, 12:39:36 am »

Yeah, you've got a good point there. Okay, I'll back off for now. No evidence of you being scum, so I'll drop it.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2011, 12:39:52 am »

Can we change our votes whenever we want, btw?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2011, 12:41:45 am »

Yes.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2011, 12:52:48 am »

Cool.

Shark, if you were a cop and cleared someone, would you fight against them being lynched or ignore it because they could be a godfather/people would suspect your role?

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2011, 08:06:31 am »

Dsarker(1) -Jim Groovester,
    Remalle(1) -Caz,
    Shoesandhats(2) -Andrew456, Remalle,
    Shark() -
    Caz() -
    Andrew456() -
    drakon136() -
    Jim Groovester() -
    Toaster() -
Not Voting(3) -Dsarker, Shark, drakon136, Shoesandhats, Toaster.

The day ends on October 21, at 5:00 PM GMT.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2011, 08:10:03 am »

drakon136
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2011, 08:58:13 am »

Eh, this is a tough one, but I'd have to say Dsarker.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2011, 09:41:45 am »

Again again again, Jim beats me to the punch.

As you should be aware, there are two teams- town and scum.  The town's goal is to find and lynch the scum.  The scum's goal is to successfully masquerade as town long enough to win.

As town, your primary and only goal is to hunt scum.  This is more important than everything else, including your survival.  If the mafia is scared enough of you to kill you, you've done a good job and should take it as a compliment to your abilities.  Do not fear death- fear not finding scum.

That said, how do you find scum?  Question, question, question.  Study people's motives.  Look for people who are either insincere about finding scum or who seemed overly concerned with their survival and/or image.  If someone says something that seems off or unusual to you, ask them about it!  Examine the logic people use to reach their conclusions.  If it's faulty, it could be a sign of scum trying to mislead.

Look also for people who are not truly scum hunting, but just trying to pretend like they are.  That is a big warning sign.

Don't read too much into who was chosen to be killed at night.  You can never be sure why the scum team picked that person, so trying to find scum by who they killed will only lead you in circles.

Finally, have fun!  It's a game- you should enjoy yourself!

Everything above is given to you as a completely impartial person who wants you to learn how to play and become skilled in the game.  I'm here to teach, but I am also a player.  Remember, it is possible for the ICs to be scum.  By the same token, we are most concerned about you becoming good players here- we will not mislead you with bad advice if either of us are scum.  Our playing advice is in 100% good faith, but you should still study our arguments to see if they hold water.

One piece of advice to the scum team:  The best way for you to win is to make everyone think you're town.  Do that by hunting scum just as you would if you were town.  I find it best as scum to not think about your alignment while reading the thread for scummy behavior.  Don't be afraid to hound your partner if he does something scummy.

Final word:  How someone answers a question is as important as the answer itself.  Did they react like they were hiding something?  Did the question unnerve them?

Final final word:  Stay active!  If you don't participate regularly (A good minimum is one content-laden post per RL day- more during important times), then you're not going to figure things out.  Plus, if you're not going to participate, why sign up in the first place?  I'll assume that this won't be a problem, and say nothing further on the matter unless needed.

[And brackets are me explaining my actions in IC mode.]

[Generally, we start games here by picking someone, voting them, and asking them a question.  You don't have to do it, but it's customary.  This serves as a starting point to discussion.]

Shark:  What do you hope to get out of this game?  If you could pick one of the four possible power roles (Cop, Doctor, Godfather, or Roleblocker), which would you pick?  Why?

[One thing to remember is that if you are asked a question, you should always explain why your answer is so- assume that the asker put a "Why?" at the end of the question like I did above.]

Caz:  What is your experience with the game?  Have you read any games on this board?

[This is mostly so I can read him better, as all RVS questions should be.]

If you have any questions for us ICs, ask away.

A couple more points:  I saw a reference to statistics earlier.  That is not going to help you find scum, so don't even bother with it.  Also, Dsarker and ShoesandHats, if you do not ask a question or provide a reason with your vote, it's meaningless.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2011, 10:11:52 am »

Yeah, I won't be voting for anyone today. I don't want to take the risk of accidentally lynching another townie.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2011, 01:09:24 pm »

Dsarker, Shoes, why did you vote for who you did, and why didn't you provide any reasons or questions?
Drakon, your not wanting to accidentally lynch a townie (at a point where there's no advantage to the town to NOT random lynch) seems suspicious to me.  Do you have a reason?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2011, 01:59:48 pm »

Darkon:  That's not how the game works.  You can't wait until you're 100% sure, because you never will be.  There's always an element of doubt.  A mislynch is a risk you have to take.

The lynch is the town's only weapon against scum.  Not using it hands the game straight over to them.

If anyone is confused, I suggest reading an older game or two.  Not-so-beginner Mafia: Panda Edition is a good one because it has a very similar setup to this game.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2011, 02:36:00 pm »

Cool.

Shark, if you were a cop and cleared someone, would you fight against them being lynched or ignore it because they could be a godfather/people would suspect your role?

I would try to be subtle about it at first, I would try to take the suspicion off of him/her by going after someone else. It really depends how far the game has progressed. If a mislynch will result in game over for town, I will claim cop and defend them, unless I suspect they're godfather. I would also ask if anyone else wants to claim cop, and try and make sure people believe my role.

A question from toaster:
"Shark:  What do you hope to get out of this game?  If you could pick one of the four possible power roles (Cop, Doctor, Godfather, or Roleblocker), which would you pick?  Why?"

I'm hoping to learn how to play better in general, because I've found myself outclassed in other games. I want to be able to play on the level of those people.

I'd like to play Godfather. I'd love to play scum on forum mafia, especially a role that can hide it. I'd would be really fun to try and pull the wool over people's eyes.

Andrew, you haven't been very active recently. Who do you suspect, and why?
Drakon, you keep backpedaling whenever the slightest pressure comes your way. Why are you so afraid to mess up?
Toaster, what's your favorite side? Town, scum, or 3rd party?
Remalle, do you have any previous experience playing mafia?

Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2011, 02:43:32 pm »

Shark:  Scum or third party, usually.  I like being in a position to screw with other people's plans.  Many of my favorite games are my non-town ones.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2011, 02:47:14 pm »

Drakon, you keep backpedaling whenever the slightest pressure comes your way. Why are you so afraid to mess up?
I'm afraid someone will lynch me if I screw up, even this early. Why would I want to be the first person lynched in the first game I played?

Drakon, your not wanting to accidentally lynch a townie (at a point where there's no advantage to the town to NOT random lynch) seems suspicious to me.  Do you have a reason?
My reason is the same as above, I don't want to be lynched for screwing up. I've seen that happen a few times on other boards after only one person was lynched.

I'm overly cautious. It's in my nature.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30