Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New "How to: Dwarf Fortress" series.  (Read 5857 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: New "How to: Dwarf Fortress" series.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 06:35:46 pm »

Well, I have no need for these videos.

SO I SHALL WATCH THEM.

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 02:03:33 pm »

Well, I have no need for these videos.

SO I SHALL WATCH THEM.

Heh... thanks. :)

On a side note, I've uploaded two more videos:

#9 Efficient Workspaces
#10 Dining Hall, Bedrooms and Room Value 
Check out my Dwarf Fortress tutorial series on Youtube.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 03:42:13 pm »

Request on a video about how to capture/tame animals?

That's a good idea.

Side note:

#8 The First Caravan

Is now up. :)
It's a nice series :)

A minor nitpick about the caravan episode: I'd recommend always buying gypsum powder from the caravans. This is very important, especially to newbies :)
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 08:37:09 pm »

For hospitals, right?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 01:16:43 am »

Right :)

Certain items should always be bought, and personally I hate "wasting" a season's worth of caravan supplies by not buying them, because they are usually so limited.

Things like this might be worth mentioning when you do a military/siege tutotrial as well.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 01:32:19 am »

Right :)

Certain items should always be bought, and personally I hate "wasting" a season's worth of caravan supplies by not buying them, because they are usually so limited.

Things like this might be worth mentioning when you do a military/siege tutotrial as well.

Hospitals are an area that I need to do quite a bit more research into. When I played heavily last (31.16-ish) hospitals were so buggy that it wasn't nearly worth the hassle.  I think it will be worth dedicating an entire episode to the topic.

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 07:39:41 pm »

Ok, two more out.   I'm gonna post these in in pairs as they come out... I don't want to cross the line into bumping obnoxiously every day.

#11 Starting Your Military and Basic Squad Commands
#12 I've got a strange feeling about this - Strange Moods

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 10:24:54 pm »

A wild update has appeared!

Two more in the main series...
#13 The Basics of your Metal Industry
#14 Burrows and keeping your dwarfs out of harms way

Two disconnected...
* Pit Trap - Effective way to deal with larger attacks.
* Asmel Oceanworked - A Dwarf Fortress Tale

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 08:06:39 pm »

Between a business trip and being a slacker I've been putting off updating this thread.... but oh well, here's 5 more videos! :D

#15 The proper care and feeding of nobles
#16 Building a Well - Backup water supply
#17 Outside farming, Inside
#18 Caverns and Starting your Underground Tree Farm
#19 Beekeeping

Edit: Fixed links...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:09:03 pm by Mdort Goblinsmiter »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 09:48:09 am »

This thread makes it much easier to see your vids lol... Now that Youtube has decided to screw up its layout 10 fold again >_>

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 06:42:16 pm »

Thanks for episode 17 and 19. Never knew about that bug, and was clueless about beekeeping. And btw, if you plan to build a hospital that uses that well, you have to make it running water. I make it running my digging out a LONNG passageway from the river to the edge of the map, smooth the edge then build fortifications. Only then do I channel the river. That was the river (Infinite source of water) keeps running through your passageway and exits the map, keeping it running. This also takes away the threat of water pressure.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 06:51:04 pm »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use Phoebus tileset. Most of us non-geeks can't understand Mayday properly.

Bah, he should use the basic ASCII.  If its good enough for Armok, its good enough for any dwarf =P

(But seriously, as curious as I am to what passes for a tutorial for DF these days, I can't follow anything with a graphics pack.  It just looks like a jumble of uninterpretable colors splashed haphazardly.  Not that I need a tutorial.  But it is handy to be familiar with them to recommend to new players).

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 06:54:01 pm »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use Phoebus tileset. Most of us non-geeks can't understand Mayday properly.

Bah, he should use the basic ASCII.  If its good enough for Armok, its good enough for any dwarf =P

(But seriously, as curious as I am to what passes for a tutorial for DF these days, I can't follow anything with a graphics pack.  It just looks like a jumble of uninterpretable colors splashed haphazardly.  Not that I need a tutorial.  But it is handy to be familiar with them to recommend to new players).

I see what you're getting at. The problem is, most new players won't understand the ASCII at all. I myself use ASCII, but sometime swap to ironhand or mayday.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 09:38:10 pm »

I started with graphics as well. And I always preferred mayday. :D Might be because of the captain duck tutorials, i think he used mayday as well.

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 12:01:17 am »

Haha... yeah, I did think hard about if I should go with ASCII or a tileset.  I made a call.  My goal was to make my tutorials as accessible and easy to follow as possible... and it seems that most new players prefer a tileset.   Based on the feedback I've gotten I think I've been at least somewhat successful.

Thanks for episode 17 and 19. Never knew about that bug, and was clueless about beekeeping. And btw, if you plan to build a hospital that uses that well, you have to make it running water. I make it running my digging out a LONNG passageway from the river to the edge of the map, smooth the edge then build fortifications. Only then do I channel the river. That was the river (Infinite source of water) keeps running through your passageway and exits the map, keeping it running. This also takes away the threat of water pressure.

Hmmm... I've been hesitating on building a hospital because of all the problems/bugs I've had with them in the past. I'm just not sure that I grasp them well enough to reliably pass that information on to others.  Then again, I'm running low on "core" topics, and I'll need to tackle it eventually. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3