Yes, as both
- 3 (21.4%)
Yes, as a follower
- 6 (42.9%)
this is stupid/needs improvement, and I will include a post why
- 1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Map project: Working on rules, open signups for both writers and artists.  (Read 5576 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let me explain the whole idea behind this. I was thinking about sea maps and stuff, being a pretty big fan of sea-faring stories (which are mostly about scenery and locale creation, but are still very interesting to read none the less), and then my mind sort of drifted to the forums, because I kinda stopped posting after I started playing soccer, and all the artists, writers, and generally talented people. I thought, "hey, if everybody got together to make a nice map with islands and stuff, it'd look pretty cool, and make a nice resource for DMs in DnD, or other Tabletop RPGS."

So, I thought I should check interest for it. The way it would work would be someone would enter as a writer, or an artist, or both for you super talented guys, and then someone (me) would pair you up randomly. The writer would write an overveiw/detail/short story of /about the island, and, based on what was written, the artist could draw a map of the island, or, just a scene or landscape of it. The islands wouldn't really have to be nations or anything, and, I'd prefer if it was very focused, sort of like in LoZ: Windwaker, where each island was sort of defined by it's name. Granted, not all island would have to be like that, but I think it'd be pretty cool for each island to sort of focus on 1 idea.

After all the scenes or whatever were drawn up, I guess I'd try and stick together a map or something. Anyone interested?

Signups

Spoiler: Signed up -Writer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Signed up-Artist (click to show/hide)

The descriptions will be listed here with artwork:our google document
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:53:00 pm by blackmagechill »

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Interest check: A map project?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 03:54:25 pm »

I'd be in as a writer. This sounds like a neat project.

Question: would someone be putting all the islands together in one big map?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 03:57:38 pm »

Sounds too disconnected to me. Everyone's going to be doing his or her own thing without much connection to each other. If you want to make a project like this work, you yourself are going to have to tie things together and to do that, you, or the community at large, needs to set up a bare-bones description of the world so that things mesh together. As it stands it's not even clear what kind of world you're thinking about.

If you want to attract people to this project, the easiest way would be to take the first steps: Set up a rough description of the world, it's flora/fauna and sentient inhabitants, as well as some geographic and historic information. Based on that, division of the world into interconnected chunks for the mappers and writers can start.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:59:58 pm by Virex »

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 04:47:14 pm »

I'd be in as a writer. This sounds like a neat project.

Question: would someone be putting all the islands together in one big map?
Yes, probably so. Virex, you have a very valid point. I'm thinking about going for more steampunk, weird south sea islands feel, with say a certain direction ending up more civilized than the others. I think that there should probably be a horror element as well, like cursed islands and cannibals, something of that nature. I'd also think some colony islands would fit, along with pirate bases, and, maybe this seems stupid, but moving islands would also be pretty cool. What I'm really looking for is something that's going to be really fun to write, and, for the artists, fun to draw.

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 04:53:02 pm »

In as a writer probably. I always liked making up stuff.

How about make it semi-sequential, with each group having a week to finish both the write up and the picture, and the next group can start working after the first group's writeup is completed and their deadline is a week after the last group finishes the picture. If so, we need a map to connect the stuff together, and someone to make sure canon is followed.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 04:54:56 pm »

Heh, just pointing that out because projects like this need a good sense of direction especially early on, or else it'll just fracture before it has even started. I'd suggest writing up a (preferably well-structured) list of guidelines and ideas to start with. Don't worry about making it too much your own project, the community will chime in to discuss what ideas are good and bad, but it needs something to discuss.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 05:15:14 pm »

I'm liking the week to work on it idea, and, if someone doesn't meet the deadline, we can probably just move them down a place or two on the list. The map seems like I'd probably set up a crappy sort or grid thing, and then everyone could pick a square or two and a general island shape, and, I'd edit in the general shape. It wouldn't look to good, but it'd give a good feel as to what the islands would look like, and I could probably clean it up in GIMP or Elements later, and make it look like an old map or something. I'll probably decide the canon or not, or, just have writers ask eachother if using this or that idea is okay. If you're creating a new idea, and it creates general dislike, I'd probably respectfully request that it's changed. If you guys have any ideas about how to run this, I'm open to them. This whole thing came from wanting to create a nice community setting to write from because a large part of writing is world building, so this would allow you to focus on characters and events more than anything else. Any ideas on how to streamline it or do it are going to be looked at.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 05:22:53 pm »

I suggest you start creating some fairly strict guidelines so people have a format.

I.e.

Dimensions (Image size vs. "Game Size")
Type (Uninhabited, Natural, populated, city, nation, ect....)
Populations (Animal, Humanoid, Other....)
Features (Terrain, Ruins, Mystical, Dimensional, ect....)

Obviously this is right up my alley, but I don't just want to throw stuff at you without some guidelines. Or I'll end up making some stupid huge image in GIMP because I always bite off more than I can chew.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 05:59:21 pm »

Actually, if somebody would like to sign up to stick the map together, that'd be great too. I'm really just organizing the thing and entering as a writer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 06:03:37 pm »

Yeah, no. It's your idea and I think if you want it to go anywhere you have to lead the charge.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 06:07:49 pm »

Yeah, no. It's your idea and I think if you want it to go anywhere you have to lead the charge.
Yeah, you're right. I guess I'll put myself in the writer pool and put the map together. My art isn't exactly pretty (read: shitty), but I think with enough time I could probably put together a half-way decent map and maybe even a main story-line.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 06:19:07 pm »

You can only get better through practice. Besides, you just have to get the ball rolling and most of it will unfold itself (hopefully).

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 08:00:46 pm »

So I wrote up most of the rules. I haven't written a section for artists because for them it's fairly lax, because artists are a lot rarer than writers.

Spoiler: rules (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 08:42:17 pm »

So do you want these maps to look artistic, or be functional? Because there's a huge difference in the two and one person's artistic interpretation can make a map hard to use for game play (or be really out there compared to simpler designs.)

I mean it's the difference between this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some working dimensions would also be nice.

Also, are 'dual talent' people going to be paired off?

And lastly, the phrase ".....because of its extreme isolation" probably doesn't need to appear pretty much anywhere unless there's a really good reason for it. Being that these are islands, the implication is they're already isolated, especially in an age of exploration.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:32:45 am by nenjin »

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 08:57:24 am »

Yes, dual talent people will be paired off, probably for the sake of the collaborative part of the project. I'm going to say the map will be more functional than anything. With dimensions, I'm kind of thinking of having each square be between say, 25 and 50 KM. Not really sure which would fit better.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4