Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the worst bug in DF? Current list, including list of fixed bugs: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94802.msg3089089#msg3089089

impossible mandates (slade - bug #782, blue jay tooth etc - bug #1623) due to strange preferences (wagon wood - bug #3676 etc)
- 19 (3.1%)
bug #3169 - Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts
- 2 (0.3%)
bug #524 - Liquid glob material breath attacks come out solid
- 2 (0.3%)
bug #1346 - Adamantine thread used for suturing.
- 13 (2.1%)
bug #2352 - Seasonal ice melting hangs game for a ridiculously long time
- 8 (1.3%)
bug #296 - Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much
- 25 (4.1%)
bug #425 - Dwarves Not Cleaning Blood
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #2481 - Dwarves will claim new clothes when theirs is worn (xClothesx) but not wear it
- 95 (15.7%)
bug #3453 - Baron/etc. cannot appoint baron-appointed nobles, such as the Dungeon Master
- 66 (10.9%)
bug #4025 - Every kobold starves to death at exactly year 4 in world gen
- 41 (6.8%)
bug #3708 - Ghost names that can't be engraved on a slab and nameless slab engravings
- 18 (3%)
bug #1498 - Crystal glass items can't be made, CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE appears broken
- 9 (1.5%)
bug #1582 - Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors
- 30 (4.9%)
bug #231 - Body parts from large creatures (bones, meat, leather, tusks, etc) slow workshops down due to clutter
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #197 - No wagons in trader/merchant caravans
- 8 (1.3%)
bug #3942 - Dwarves owning broken clothing. Clothes don't rot, ANNIHILATES FPS.
- 67 (11%)
bug #3685 - Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
- 3 (0.5%)
bug #1376 - Presence of saltwater marsh causes mountain brooks/pools to become salty
- 5 (0.8%)
Lye, water and buckets  (bug #1324 - buckets full of water were used to produce lye, bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable, bug #1236 - buckets contain lye and water, can't be used for anything)
- 25 (4.1%)
bug #535 - Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
- 46 (7.6%)
bug #3898 - Entire Bone Statcks are used in Reactions instead of a single Bone
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #2712 - weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter
- 27 (4.4%)
bug #4133 - Good/evil plants/trees don't appear (feather trees, glumprongs, sliver barbs, and sun berries)
- 11 (1.8%)
bug #2327 - Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #4550 - Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc
- 13 (2.1%)
bug #4552 - Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders
- 10 (1.6%)
bug #4833: When embarking, crashes when memory use reaches 2GB.
- 6 (1%)
bug #4856: Immortal Dwarf (... Yet unconcious) [or any other creature]
- 0 (0%)
bug #1609: Immigrant dwarves' skills often don't match their job settings
- 2 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 604

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: clothes fixed! | old poll results | poll restarted | 344/607 fixed  (Read 40234 times)

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The worst bug - poll
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2011, 03:16:13 am »

OK, it will die. But will its head or lower body ever be lopped off with a steel dagger?
It will just become red relatively fast and stay in that state all the way until global hit points pool runs out.

I also count on the next release to have improved combat with undead. The introduction (and presumably testing) of mummies should be especially relevant.

I do not expect a comprehensive fix to bronze colossus until items (armor and weapon) hit points system is implemented. It is probably not worth rebalancing creatures that mostly work now if treating them as a suit of really thick armor will automatically make everything right sometime in the future.

Romaq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2011, 07:08:44 am »

Added to the 'embark' memory problem, now that StoneSense is in a DLL, things start getting cramped. I have a high-end machine. I love having lots of land. I do *not* love having things crash because I get just a bit too close to the Winblows memory limit.

I've already asked the StoneSense folks if they could have their DLL code be a 'thin server' for which the StoneSense 'client' talks to the DLL. That gives us the bonus of StoneSense running a separate thread on multi-core CPU's as well as making memory 'shoe-horning' less an issue.

I do have a very high-end machine. I would be very happy if I could put it to work with DF. :)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2011, 04:24:38 pm »

Poor kobolds!
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2011, 08:56:22 am »

I added "bug #4856: Immortal Dwarf (... Yet unconcious) [or any other creature]"
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2011, 10:50:58 pm »

As someone who has played a LOT of adventure mode, I have to disagree with a great number of complaints about combat being voiced here. 

Blunt weapons are quite effective against armored targets.  True, steel hammers aren't as effective as those constructed from other denser materials, but I can't really think of a good reason to think steel blunt weapons should be more effective than ones made of copper or silver.  I think the historical reason for the switch has more to do with the durability of steel, and since weapons cannot currently break, this does not matter.  One definite problem with blunt weapons is that the combat AI is supremely dumb about using them, attempting to bludgeon fingers and whatnot, so they frequently seem less good than they are. 

Bleeding to death happens all the time in the game.  It is, in fact, among the only ways to kill some of the larger creatures, as severing their bodies does not work.  Frequently creatures pass out from blood loss, and this makes them easy targets for other attacks, despite the blood loss being the real reason for death, so you don't get the message saying they "died from blood loss" come up nearly as much as you might expect it to. 

I would agree that on the whole whips and scourges are too strong.  Generally this is because a whip made of steel does not really make sense as a thing that could exist in the real world.  I guess you can hit someone with chains, but I really wouldn't designate such an item as a "whip".  In my  mind the fix for this would be to simply remove them from the game, apart from possibly as disciplinary weapons (human equivalent of the hammerer?) and even then force them to be constructed from leather, since something with the flexibility to move as fast as a whip, and constructed from something as hard and heavy as metal would shatter your organs through armor. 

As for the hitpoints thing, this is to be fixed at some future time by implementing "pulping".  Currently you can mangle bodyparts to the point of unusability, but without explicitly severing the part, it does not actually come closer to being broken off or destroyed.  I expect this will come up sooner rather than later, since all the necromancer/undead stuff is going to require a satisfying way to kill the damn things, so it is likely to be in the forefront of Toady's mind. 
where is up?

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2011, 11:37:52 am »

I think that most of the counter-criticisms are somewhat valid but want to notice that in my experience creatures usually pass out from accumulated pain and not blood loss even with major arteries cut long ago.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2011, 05:41:58 am »

As I found this thread I added "bug #1609: Immigrant dwarves' skills often don't match their job settings"
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2011, 03:56:02 pm »

I had to vote for the military equip system because in my experiences, it's caused the most fort losses. Axedwarf/woodcutters not using the same axe, crossbowdwarfs not using their bolts, and dwarfs simply not wearing their assigned armor. Most the other bugs have work-arounds and the performance drop issues don't apply unless your fort can survive long enough for it to matter without a functioning military.

motherfucking THIS, only with miners. i personally think that the blunt-damage inmortality thingie is a real pain, but not so much to worry about once you have' em on the floor being pulp; just throw some weapon variety in your hammerdorfs squads and you will (eventually) get that blob of gore which used to be a mountain goat beheaded/shot/drained of blood  :D
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2012, 08:31:09 am »

(Military) equipment by far, followed by bone art defacement and baron-appointments
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2012, 09:19:16 am »

the most annoying one is that every punch or kick seems to jam the skull into the brain. every single fight ends that way, combat variety suffers greatly.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2012, 10:20:24 am »

Just one bug to choose?... Damn, there's at least ten that I'd really like to see fixed on highest priority (even higher than getting new stuff). My vote goes for the stupid workshop cluttering by body parts, but the clothing, armor, adamantine thread and crystal glass are very close behind. I also very much dislike things that worked before but now do not, like the lack of wagons, dungeon master or elf diplomats.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2012, 01:42:59 pm »

The elf diplomats at least you can add back in yourself.  They function as normal, including asking you to restrict your logging activities.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2012, 01:52:42 pm »

Ranking by annoyance:

- pools of blood etc. multiply, never seem to vanish
- don't wear clothes (somehow not quite as annoying as the .40d barracks pigsty problem, though; also even with fps hit DF 2010 goes faster than .40d, for me)
- the bucket bug
- erratic equipment for military (sorting out gauntlets is painful)
- body parts clog up workshops
- marshes in your embark area turn all your water to crap unless you take strange special measures

Not particularly annoying IME

- blunt weapons seem to work ok for me; whips are a problem though. I'm more annoyed about the ineffectiveness of crossbows which are used to disable all the target's fingers and toes prior to aiming for center of mass
- impossible mandates - this was in .40d too, I'm just used to it
- dodging to your death just seems like a feature

I miss them when I think about them

- no kobolds
- no nobles besides presiding baron
- no wagons
- no crystal glass
- no diplomats, no making requests of the human merchants

mikelon

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2012, 10:55:10 pm »

I miss the economy
and the guilds
and chasms
and yearly flooding
and elephants being death gods
and carp being the scourge of water bodies

but i vote for the most annoying, dwarves not using ammo. Theres a work around but its hard and not worth it. Wish is sad since markdwarves add another layer of depth to fortress defense

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »

Having lost most of my military five times in a single fortress I'd say the equipment bug is probably the most annoying. I've had dwarfs run out into combat half equipped when I have stacks of steel armour lying around.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11