Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Bay12 Forum Games and Roleplaying Awards 2011 [NOMINATIONS]  (Read 7612 times)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
The Bay12 Forum Games and Roleplaying Awards 2011 [NOMINATIONS]
« on: October 15, 2011, 06:28:50 am »

The Bay12 Forum Games and Roleplaying Awards 2011

Ladies and gentlemen (Read: Vector, and everyone else), this board has existed for 5 years. Over them, there have been many a great game, many a great gamer, and many a great guffaw. (I wanted a word begining with g that meant laugh. There aren't many of them.) None of them have acutally ever recieved any actual award for their efforts-aside from praise and signature space. But, on New Year's Day, 2012, there will be 25 awards, and up to 25 recipients. Hosts and gamers alike will be able to select their favourite moments from over the years, and some will recieve the ultimate award-a Bay Gamer Award. If this gets enough interest, I'll do one next year as well.

The whole process will take up two stages. First and foremost, there is the nominations stage. This is where you, the general public, elect games, posts and players to be chosen for the awards. This will take us until the 1st December, at which point, I will take a shortlist of the top 5/10 for each category and you will be able to privately vote on who you think should take each award. That will take us until New Year's Eve. Then, I will collate all the votes (Read: Look at a nice chart and locate the most popular answers) and I will declare the most popular ones on New Year's Day. Maybe with a YouTube video. Who knows? Either way, it will be an INTERESTING two-and-a-half months.

Now, I bet you want to start submitting more than a few entries right away. Well, I can't blame you, but we need to run through a few rules first.

• You can make as many nominations as you see fit to this. Just don't whine if they don't all end up on the shortlist.
  • You have to post which category you want your submission to be entered in. I need to know this.
  • Once submitted, a nomination must be backed by two other people in the form of a quote pyramid so I can easily tell it's been backed. If it's already got two backings, don't bother.
  • Nominations and backings can only be made by people who have joined BEFORE the opening date of these submissions. Sorry, new people, but some people will spam alt accounts to get their subs in. At least, I think they will.
  • You can't submit or back anything by me (ExKirby) or yourself (Whoever you are). Let's keep this fair. Posts made in the same game that I was in don't count.
  • All submissions pertaining to a post or game must be linked in the submission post.
  • Each post, game and person can only be entered into one category. However, that isn't to say that you could nominate X person for A category, and have his posts P, Q and R nominated for B, C, and D respectively.
  • You can only submit entities that existed before the opening date. Their time will be next year.

With the formalities out of the way, the categories! All 25!

The Original Mechanic Award
For the game with the most original and interesting mechanic that has come from the game creator.

The Greatest Quote Award
For the quotation that will live in our hearts-and our signatures-for the rest of our lives.

The Inventive Suggestion Award
For the action which is so clever, amusing or just downright insane that made the host update right on the spot.

The Artist Appreciation Award
For the piece of artwork-canon or fanart-which deserves to be put right next to the Mona Lisa.

The (Un)Happily Ever After Award
For the game which had an ending which can be considered an ending, but is also an award-worthy one.

The Dungeon Dragon Award
For the P&P/Roleplay host that not only had the insanity to run a P&P game, but also had the skill to make it good.

The Night 0 Award
For the Mafia host that has inventive fluff, roles, and other nicenesses that made their game stand out.

The Random Number God Award
For the RtD host who need not have had the most complicated RtD in the world, but had the best.

The You Are Winner Award
For the suggestion game that takes any and all biscuits in sight when it comes to impressiveness.

The Other Game Award
For the host who doesn't stick to standards and invents a game completely different other, which is awesome.

The Uber Update Award
For the game update which stands out from the thousands of other updates that exist on these forums.

The Dungeon Crawler Award
For the P&Per/Roleplayer who takes no moment to wait before turning the game into the best one ever.

The Mafia Hitman Award
For the Mafia player who takes the game to new levels every time he/Vector steps into the firing line.

The Dodging Rollout Award
For the RtD player who is intelligent, manipulative or just downright crazy enough to dominate the RtD fields.

The You Are Suggester Award
For the player who will ALWAYS suggest the best action to every game that asks for them. All of them.

The Mastermind Award
For the player who showed tactical skill beyond all the others, and will simply dominate all others.

The All Downhill Award
For the game which looked like it would be good... but turned out to be rubbish.

The Real Slim Shady Award
For the player who has managed to stick to the character he/she is playing flawlessly.

The Layton's Apprentice Award
For the game which had a puzzle which, while it may not be hard, was very amusing and clever.

The Graveyard Game Award
For the game sadly died, but of which if it carried on it would have been great.

The No Work No Play Award
For the thread inthis board which isn't a game as such, but helps magagement, ideas etc. for them.

The Greatest Host Award
For the best game hoster from this entire board. The individual awards are for the best in their area, but this is for all.

Sean Mirrsen

The Greatest Character Award
For the player who had invented one of the greatest characters of all times for our enjoyment of reading about him/her.

The Greatest Game Award
For the game which takes any and all biscuits that are in sight. Competition for this will be tight.

The Greatest Player Award
For the player who dedicated their lives, souls and children to developing this board to the state that it has rosen to today.

Nominations will end December 1st, and start.... uh.... NOW. Get them search bars and find them classic games!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 04:10:13 am by ExKirby »
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Forum Games and Roleplaying Awards 2011 [NOMINATIONS]
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 06:36:25 am »

I NOMINATE:

The You Are Suggester Award: maniac
The Greatest Character Award: Terenos...who made Terenos (You are King)
The Original Mechanic Award: NDRL/Dwarmin who made You are Lord. It all happened by accident
The Graveyard Game Award: You are King

Yes I am biased :P
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:50:04 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 06:44:02 am »

I need links.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 06:44:42 am »

This task be impossible; thousands of games over many years, even listing the best would be hundreds of hours of labour, and most forumites have not read most games! Nay, better be it if no such contest be held at all, for the one thing that may become of it is a perversion and mockery of it's purpose!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 06:46:27 am »

Same exact thing happens in the real world. We still do it. Agree with you though...Still posting links.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:52:49 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 06:50:29 am »

This task be impossible; thousands of games over many years, even listing the best would be hundreds of hours of labour, and most forumites have not read most games! Nay, better be it if no such contest be held at all, for the one thing that may become of it is a perversion and mockery of it's purpose!

From what I can make out: We have people who have been around a while. If they can dig out some classics (WITH LINKS) and people read them, they will both be learning about the classic games AND having an input on who gets the awards. And the winning games will be true classics.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 06:54:35 am »

I don't know, seems sort of rigidly arbitrary to me. Provided it didn't get too silly, people suggesting noteworthy (and suitably broad) categories on the spot seems like it'd be better.

Also, I get the feeling we really won't need three months to vote/judge games. Maybe I'm wrong.

Limiting games/people/posts to one category apiece seems unnecessary to me. If a given thing is noteworthy in multiple areas, it should be recognized as such.

Finally, excluding things you've ever been a part of is kind of crippling, because if something's truly awesome, odds are anyone who knew about it joined or at least tried to join it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 06:56:24 am »

Definitely.
And for The Random Number God Award: Lawastooshort

Edit: Wait, what, we can't nominate games we were in?! ???
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:01:17 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 06:57:36 am »

I nominate:
Mephansteras for the Night 0 Award.
Sean Mirrsen for The Greatest Host Award.

Not really sure what links you want with that, but let me know.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:00:51 am by Kashyyk »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 06:59:01 am »

It has to be said.

The Artist Appreciation Award:: Elves of Amanereli,  Darkerdark

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 07:06:43 am »

I don't know, seems sort of rigidly arbitrary to me. Provided it didn't get too silly, people suggesting noteworthy (and suitably broad) categories on the spot seems like it'd be better. If people have decent categories, I'd be willing to let them in.

Also, I get the feeling we really won't need three months to vote/judge games. Maybe I'm wrong. We have 5 years of games to go through, we need that time. Also, the voting will go through the Christmas period, so we need plenty of time for that.

Limiting games/people/posts to one category apiece seems unnecessary to me. If a given thing is noteworthy in multiple areas, it should be recognized as such. That's to make sure that the awards are spread out as much as possible. Can't have Multiworlds taking all the awards.

Finally, excluding things you've ever been a part of is kind of crippling, because if something's truly awesome, odds are anyone who knew about it joined or at least tried to join it. I'll rephrase that slightly, then.

Also, make sure to back the submissions! I can't have them by my own rules if you don't!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 07:07:27 am »

Definitely.
And for The Random Number God Award: Lawastooshort

I think it means we can't vote for games we made. I can't vote for my "Personification" since it's mine and frankly, it sucks.

It has to be said.

Agreed.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:10:43 am by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 07:14:33 am »

I've paraphrased-you can now, but you can't submit your own posts.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 07:17:44 am »

The Mastermind Award:
Cheddarius, for his role in my Planetfall game. He had plans multiple moves ahead, used diplomacy well to take control of his planet before I thought anyone would be able to, and weakened his enemies on the other planet. He would have gone on to win the game, but then I introduced mechanics to let people escape the other planet before he could blockade it, and he lost interest in the "hunt every last remnant of your foes" that would have come from it.

The Graveyard Game Award:
Do not trust the Rainbow Snail.

Seconding:
It has to be said.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 07:43:52 am »

Thirding this.

Also nominating Lord Trubaldsome (played by Yoink) from You Are King for Greatest Character.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: [1] 2 3