Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33

Author Topic: Roll to Seek the Grail!  (Read 50311 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Seek the Grail! Turn 40: Bloody Hell!
« Reply #315 on: November 22, 2011, 06:52:36 am »

"'Tis a shame, Sir Conchobar, but know this: Ye died bravely, and in the Holy service of the Great King Arthur! Rest in Peace, my friend."
Keardwall rummages about in the rabbit's remains for his sword(or what's left of it), sheaths it, gathers up his jars, and says a quick, saddened prayer over the deceased... Splattered... Remains of Sir Conchobar, before being swiftly distracted by the prospect of a damsel to rescue. He'll head onwards with Sir Feyman, not before offering to let Sir Beatacalf borrow some jar-space for his hand.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:36:51 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 22, 2011, 07:13:48 am »

Keardwall sheathes his sword,

The rabbit ate it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 22, 2011, 07:36:06 am »

Oh, right. Whoops. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 23, 2011, 07:26:20 am »

"Ah, dear Sire Knight Conchobar, omnes vulnerant, postuma necat or omnes feriunt, ultima necat. A truly worthy companion, sed mors vincit omnia." After saying his goodbyes to Conchobar, Beadocáf sees to his wounded hand, surely his scholarly inclinations has taught him how to reattacht limbs - if he only could remember how... Was it a goats bladder, or perhaps were you supposed to stick both severedities and stumbs into an anthill for three days and five moons? Surely there were arsenic involved somehow too. Though, of course, the possibility of failing to attach it must be considered, and he would gladly accept the honour of having a place in Keardwalls jar if necessary. Then he retrieves the Holy Crossbow of Beersheba (for surely we cannot simply leave such a holy item behind), and hurries rotundly after the others towards the call of distress.

"Onwards we go, then. Per aspera ad astra!"

(Sorry for taking so long again)
Love, scriver~

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Seek the Grail! Turn 41: A Goat's Bladder!
« Reply #319 on: November 23, 2011, 09:45:13 am »

Forty first turn!

England; the Dark Ages; half past Tuesday; the Cave of Caerbannog.

"Ah, dear Sire Knight Conchobar,” begins Beadocáf, “Omnes vulnerant, postuma necat or omnes feriunt, ultima necat. A truly worthy companion, sed mors vincit omnia."

“What?”
asks Keardwall, “And do you know your ruddy hand’s come off? I’ve got a jar that’s useful for that kind of thing if you care to share. Anyway. 'Tis a shame, Sir Conchobar, but know this: Ye died bravely, and in the Holy service of the Great King Arthur! Rest in Peace, my friend."

Keardwall gathers up his jars before setting them down again to rummage about in the terrifying rabbit’s remains to see if anything’s left of his once mighty broadsword. The skin on his hand starts burning with the horrific rabbit’s atrocious stomach acid! He finds not even a hilt! He lets out a bellowing cry of distress [1]!

“I say,” says Feyman, “That reminds me! Venture onward with me, boys, for we did hear a fairer cry of distress mere minutes ago, and my last fair damsel desired for me to spank her! And you all know how well that turned out." Feyman wistfully thinks back to how things could have been, but is swiftly interrupted.

“Right-oh,” Keardwall agrees, “Although I think we should say a prayer for the deceased… splattered… mutilated… the… er… gosh, that’s horrible. What the bloody hell came over you Sir Feyman? Well, let’s just leave him spread all over the rock there I suppose. Probably easiest. Should clean up with a spot of rain and luck. Unless you care to utter some more Latin at him, Sir Beatacalf? Come on, let’s go. No one can resist a good bit of damsel rescuing.”

“Eh what sorry? Oh. Yes. The jar. I’d be delighted, dear fellow. I was just wondering how one would reattach such a limb. Sure Godewyne would have known… Blast those damsels! Here I am, missing a hand, and he probably doesn’t even nee- gosh. He’s probably got both his hands f- hmm. I say. Now. Is it a goat’s bladder, or perhaps you are supposed to stick both severedities and stumps into an anthill for three days and five moons? Surely there’s some arsenic involved somehow too…”

Beadocáf’s eyes glaze over for a second and then spark back to life.

“That’s it! A goat’s bladder soaked in arsenic can be used to reattach limbs [5]! Gosh, I wonder what else I’d know if I’d paid more attention to master Scrydan when I was a boy. Hey! Keardwall! I say! Come back! I need a goat! Feyman! Blast.”

Picking up his severed hand and the Holy Crossbow of Beersheba, Beadocáf jogs on down the cave mouth to catch up with his fellow knights.

"Onwards we go, then. Per aspera ad astra!”

…   …   …   …   …   …

Onwards, indeed, trek the brave knights. Through the darkness they trek, ever downwards and ever deeper, taking care in their assorted states not to trip and fall on a slimy rock or a greasy stair.

From time to time they hear once more, Help! Help! and their noble thoughts of chivalric damsel rescuing spur them on. After fully ten minutes of heart stopping night-black tension and stumbling they suddenly come out of the main tunnel they have been following and into an enormous cavern lit the whole way round by burning torches. And there, at the far end, they see a figure, clearly chained to the wall. Clearly in need of rescuing! Clearly in distress!

And clearly, as they approach, far too bearded to be a damsel, or at least one they might particularly want to rescue.

“Hello?! I say! Would you mind awfully getting me out of here? I was off looking for the location of the Holy Grail, in fact, with my fool – don’t know if you’ve seen him about? – anyway, I was looking for this inscription, but instead I found this lever, so I pulled it, of course, and fell through this hole, and then this bloody great Beast leapt out and beat me senseless, and then, well, when I came round I was chained to this bloody rock, splayed apart waiting for this ferocious bloody rabbit to come and peck my liver off and… oh, how rude of me. Sir Ethlehed the Curious at your service! How do you do!”

((I don't know if I should keep the speech in italics - I did it first to break it up when there is a great deal of text without quoted actions to break it up... But I'm not sure now. I'm open to suggestions, as always. Also, scriver, no problem :) ))

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Seek the Grail! Turn 41: A Goat's Bladder!
« Reply #320 on: November 23, 2011, 09:51:04 am »

Sir Feyman grunts in disappointment, but attempts to release the poor man from his situation regardless. "I say, Sir Etheledehed! Do you perhaps know the location of yon fabled Holy Grail?"

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 23, 2011, 09:58:42 am »

"Well, there was that tale of an inscription around this Cave of Caerbannog, according to legend, Sir Feyman. Perhaps the good Sirs could help me find it? I think I saw it somewhere, perhaps the fool has found it? Oh, by the way, did you slay the foul beast? It would be most inconvenient to have it appear here."

Sir Ethlehed calls for his jester.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 23, 2011, 03:19:37 pm »

Sir Keardwall squints at the captive, momentarily nonplussed.
"I say! Ye do not look overly damsel-like to mine eyes! No matter, a fellow knight is far more use to us than any... Irrestible, fair-skinned, possibly naught-- Err!" He quickly trails off on that subject, frowning to hide his embarrassment, and hops fowards, setting aside his jars as he makes to tear the chains from the wall with his bare hands, calling on his God, King and Spleen for strength! He then clears his throat and works up to one of his grand, half-spoken, half-bellowed speeches,

"Welcome to our noble band, fellow Knight! We shall find the Grail, and bring much Glory to the name of King Arthur, and let no man, damsel or beast stand in our way!" One small question, however- Exactly how did ye end up here? If that.... Demonic, rabbit-faced creature we slew was the beast, it certainly did not look like one to be taking prisoners! I mean, 'twas hardly as high as my ankles! Er, ankle. And no opposable thumbs are certain to make chains and torches and the like a bit tricky."
Booze is Life for Yoink

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 23, 2011, 03:23:38 pm »

I just realized that lawas has finally caught up to me.

DUELING GMS

EDIT: OR HE DID BEFORE I UPDATED.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:44:53 am by freeformschooler »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 24, 2011, 03:02:20 am »

I just realize that lawas has finally caught up to me.

DUELING GMS

EDIT: OR HE DID BEFORE I UPDATED.

;) I will try to update today... If scriver can tear himself away from skyrim... (if that's it...)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 24, 2011, 05:48:40 am »

"Welcome to our noble band, fellow Knight! We shall find the Grail, and bring much Glory to the name of King Arthur, and let no man, damsel or beast stand in our way!" One small question, however- Exactly how did ye end up here? If that.... Demonic, rabbit-faced creature we slew was the beast, it certainly did not look like one to be taking prisoners! I mean, 'twas hardly as high as my ankles! Er, ankle. And no opposable thumbs are certain to make chains and torches and the like a bit tricky."

"Noble Sir Keardwell, this rabbit, this most foul beast does not take prisoners, but it is cunning enough to ensure that it always has enough meat to chew on even if no more foolhardy travelers arrive for a while, for it only feasts on human flesh. I cannot express my gratitude for being saved from the fate of being used as winter supply, which would be most excruating and inconvenient indeed."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 24, 2011, 10:44:30 am »

"It was the Devil's Rabbit, mark my words. Surely it must've used it's Dark Powers to imprison him! But now, I think, is the time to find the inscription!"
Love, scriver~

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Seek the Grail! Turn 42: He Is Also Inexplicably Lucky!
« Reply #327 on: November 24, 2011, 04:35:03 pm »

Forty second turn!

England; the Dark Ages; half past Tuesday; deep within the Cave of Caerbannog.

Sir Keardwall squints at the captive, momentarily nonplussed.

"I say! Ye do not look overly damsel-like to mine eyes! No matter, a fellow knight is far more use to us than any irresistible, fair-skinned, lithe-limbed, nubile, scantily-clad, possibly naught-- Err!"

Keardwall puts down his jars and moves towards Sir Ethlehed.

"Um. Yes. Er. Welcome to our noble band, fellow Knight! We shall find the Grail, and bring much Glory to the name of King Arthur, and let no man, damsel or beast stand in our way! One small question, however - Exactly how did ye end up here? If that... demonic, rabbit-faced creature we slew was the beast, it certainly did not look like one to be taking prisoners! I mean, 'twas hardly as high as my ankles! Well, the attached one. Not the one in the jar. That’s actually quite high up, I suppose. For an ankle. And no opposable thumbs are certain to make chains and torches and the like a bit tricky."

“It was the Devil's Rabbit, and the Devil's work, mark my words,”
ventures Sir Beadocáf, the learned, “Surely it must've used its Dark Powers to imprison him!”

"Aye,”
continues Ethlehed, ”Noble Sir Keardwall, this rabbit, this most foul beast, this terrible fiend, this terror of the night - it does not take prisoners, but is cunning enough to ensure that it always has enough meat to chew on even if no more foolhardy travelers arrive for a while, for it only feasts on human flesh. It did beat me unconscious and then chain me up: I cannot express my gratitude for being saved from the fate of being used as winter supply, which would have been most excruciating and inconvenient indeed."

Title Acquired: Sir Ethlehed the Curious, Knower of Names!

Sir Etheledehed did you say?! Oh, bloody hell,” grunts Sir Feyman, “I thought you were a bloody damsel. Perhaps,” he thinks aloud to himself, “Perhaps it is better this way after all… Anyway… Sir Etheleledehehehed, I say, do you perhaps know the location of yon fabled Holy Grail?"

“Well, there was that tale of an inscription around this Cave of Caerbannog, according to legend, Sir Feyman. Perhaps the good Sirs could help me find it? I think I saw it somewhere, but you never can tell with inscriptions… perhaps the fool has found it?”

“Indeed: now, I think, is the time to find the inscription!"
interrupts the brave Sir Beadocáf while Ethlehed pauses to shout at the top of his voice for his fool before carrying on, “Oh, by the way, did you slay the foul beast? It would be most inconvenient to have it appear here...”

Not even waiting to answer, the noble Sir Feyman prepares to rip apart the chains that bind Sir Ethlehed to his rocky prison, just as Sir Keardwall marches up to do the very same.

“No, Sir Keardwall! I can handle this alone!” shouts Feyman. “Actually wait. I have but one arm. Blast. Help me Sir Keardwall, for I have but one arm!”

As Keardwall tugs upon one end, Feyman pulls upon the other: they burst the chain apart with their bare hands! The links of chain shatter, sliding down the rock face to the ground, as Sir Ethlehed does likewise. Sir Ethlehed slides so hard he doth seem to penetrate the ground! He crashes through the rocky floor! He disappears into a cavern below! Falling over fifty feet through the darkness, he lands upon a strange and squishy form. John the Snarker’s head is broken! John the Snarker’s brains pop out! John the Snarker’s brains are crushed by Sir Ethlehed! John the Snarker is struck down! Sir Ethlehed’s nose is smashed!

Retinue Member Lost: John the Snarker has been struck down.
Wound Acquired: Smashed nose!

Sir Ethlehed stands, wiping some kind of unidentifiable slime from his face. There before his eyes lies the very inscription that he seeks! The location of the Holy Grail!

It seems to be written in Welsh.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 04:38:45 pm by lawastooshort »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Seek the Grail! Turn 42: He Is Also Inexplicably Lucky!
« Reply #328 on: November 25, 2011, 04:13:08 am »

Mourn for John the Snarker. Then mourn for my nose. Then call the other sirs. Then, try to decipher the Welsh script.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Seek the Grail! Turn 42: He Is Also Inexplicably Lucky!
« Reply #329 on: November 25, 2011, 05:18:21 am »

So. Any futher thoughts to my earlier spoilered question? Should we continue on a new quest after the discovery of the Grail? It has been suggested that King Arthur might send you on a quest for the Ark of the Covenant, and there are surely other suitable mythical quests.

I can see positives (carrying on! the waitlist getting a go! overtaking freeformschooler!) and negatives (other source materials not being cheap and easy inspiration having such a rich comic base, the disappointing second album).
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33