Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33

Author Topic: Roll to Seek the Grail!  (Read 50280 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Seek the Grail! Turn 44: The Gorge of Eternal Peril
« Reply #345 on: November 29, 2011, 04:53:47 am »

Forty fourth turn!

England; the Dark Ages; a quarter to Wednesday; the Cave of Caerbannog.

Beadocáf rises from his Dramatic and Holy Trance, having seen the Way.

"Come, mine friends! As God has shown me the Way, so I will show it to you! It is this way!"

“Aye, good work Beatacalf,”
announces Sir Feyman, patting Beadocáf on the back, "With face and nose smashed in, I have nothing to fear! Onwards towards the Bridge of Death, my companions!" He struts off, leaving Ethlehed to bravely proclaim to Keardwall:

"Onwards, comrades! Glory or Death! Although, I do say that the first option sounds more enticing! IN NOMINE DEI!"

But Keardwall listeneth not! For he is too busy scrabbling around in the dust and rubble of the cave, looking for any age-old, long forgotten artifa-arrrrrrrrrgggghhh!

”I say, chaps. Could you help me up? I seem to have fallen through a hole.”

Wound Acquired: Smashed nose!

…   …   …   …   …   …

The brave knights make their way, exiting the Cave of Caerbannog, taking the next left, and trekking onwards through the misty afternoon, Keardwall trudging miserably along behind the others on his one good leg.

"Bloody hell, who names these bloody places... It's either some foreign-sounding nonsense or something involving Death or Doom or Peril... Pfah! Death?! Peril?! Ha! I laugh in the face of peril! Well, usually. It’s worse than the bloody food, I tell you. All bloody fancy foreign stuff, and vegetables. Vegetables! Really. What’s wrong with a good steak and a good potato, eh. Bloody hell."

…   …   …   …   …   …

The knights reach the end of their path and cross a stile. They look about to find themselves lost in a huge, beautifully barren and breathtaking landscape of vast valleys and mountains sloping off into the distance, the greater peaks crowned by tufts of cloud, the distance lost in the northern mists. They rest a few seconds and get their breath back.

“Look!” cries Beadocáf, pointing into the middle distance, “There it is!”

“The Bridge of Death!”
utters Feyman.

“Oh, great...” mumbles Sir Ethlehed to himself.

On the side of the mountain beside them is a crudely fashioned milestone, which bears an arrow, and the words "Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!  5 miles"

“God be praised!” decides Beadocáf, turning to his companions and pointing ahead, “This must be the gorge of which the old man spoke in Turn Thirty-five!”

The knights continue along a rather perilous looking track edging along the side of the mountain, Beadocáf in the lead. They climb higher. The path becomes more slippery, more dangerous. Every now and then a small rock is knocked aside and tumbles into the abyss. They pass another milestone: "Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!  4 miles". Though is it dangerous and difficult going, they march on, with tension in their faces. As they climb, Sir Beadocáf turns to Sir Feyman and Sir Ethlehed.

“We must find…” he pants, “the Bridge of Death…”

“Oh, great…”
blurts out Ethlehed to himself.

“The Bridge is guarded by a bridgekeeper, who asks each traveller three questions.  And he who answers the three questions can cross in safety.”

“And if you get a question”
asks Ethlehed warily, “wrong?”

“You are cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril.”

…   …   …   …   …   …

The knights struggle along, a little downhill now. The mist grows. Sir Keardwall stops and points. They peer.

A rickety old bridge crosses the gorge, with mist swirling up from below. The other side is out of sight. Beside the bridge an old man stands: ‘tis the blind soothsayer from Turn Thirty-five! Sir Feyman turns to the group.

“He's the Keeper of the Bridge.  It's the old man!”

Sir Beadocáf swallows hard.

“So who’s er… who’s going to answer the questions?”

…   …   …   …   …   …

Retroactive Chivalry Awards Activated!
…   …   …   …   …   …

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Seek the Grail! Turn 44: The Gorge of Eternal Peril!
« Reply #346 on: November 29, 2011, 08:57:51 am »

Volunteer (slightly nervously, but nonetheless with all chivalry that can be mustered) to be the first one. Answer the question to the best of my ability, if it is not sufficient, ask a counter-question.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 29, 2011, 09:03:17 am »

Sir Feyman, knowing the routines of these question-askers, is nearly positive the questions will be TRICK questions! "I say, Ethalhead, you are indeed quite fit for the first question-answerer!"

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 29, 2011, 10:46:30 am »

Sir Keardwall scratches his chin, a little perplexed by this turn of events.
He shall stand there, jars under one arm as he watches the proceedings, rather more worried about his lack of weaponry than any silly 'question' business. "Doesn't look too formidable to me," He mutters to himself, "I'm sure a good strike of the sword would sort the nosy old fool out, and teach him a lesson to play tricks on Questing Knights!"
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 29, 2011, 06:43:16 pm »

"Ah, but of course! It is only fitting that our newest comrade is the first to fall to his- I mean, pass the bridge of course! Now, good Sire Ethelerede, prove thine worth to God and King!"
Love, scriver~

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Seek the Grail! Turn 45: The Bridge of Death!
« Reply #350 on: November 30, 2011, 10:58:48 am »

Forty fifth turn!

England; the Dark Ages; nearly Wednesday; the Gorge of Eternal Peril.

“Sir Beadocáf!” ventures Sir Ethlehed, ”Worry not, for it is I that shall answer the questions! There are only five, it cannot be so hard!”

“Three.”

“Three what?”

“There are only three questions.”

“Oh. Right. Yes. I shall answer the five questions!”

"Ah, but of course!”
proclaims Beadocáf, “It is only fitting that our newest comrade is the first to fall to his- I mean, pass the bridge, of course! Now, good Sire Ethelerede, prove thine worth to God and King!"

Sir Feyman is in agreement, knowing the routines of these question-askers and being nearly positive the questions will be TRICK questions!

“I say, Ethalhead, you are indeed quite fit for the first question-answerer!"

“Oh bloody hell,”
continues Sir Ethlehed to himself, striding forward.

…   …   …   …   …   …

Keardwall watches, perplexed, standing there clutching his jars and body parts in one hand, feeling a rising panic attack the more he considers the lack of sword in the other.

“Stupid bloody questions. Doesn't look too formidable to me,“ he mutters to himself, "I'm sure a good strike of the sword would sort the nosy old fool out, and teach him a lesson to play tricks on Questing Knights! Blast that bloody rabbit for bloody eating my blasted sword!"

Despite his disdain for the deadliness of the questioning to come, he nevertheless flinches a little as he sees Sir Ethlehed approach the blind soothsayer.

“Hail, old man. Ask me the questions. I am not afraid.”

“He who approaches the Bridge of Death
Must answer me
These questions three!
Ere the other side he see.

What is your name?”

“Sir Ethlehed”

“What is your quest?”

“To seek the Holy Grail!”

“What is your favourite colour?”

“Blue.”

“Right. Off you go.”

Sir Ethlehed strides across into the mist, disappearing from the view of his three waiting companions.

Title Acquired: Sir Ethlehed the Curious, Knower of Names, Taker of the Bridge of Doom!

Chivalry Increased: +1

…   …   …   …   …   …

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Seek the Grail! Turn 45: The Bridge of Death!
« Reply #351 on: November 30, 2011, 11:21:48 am »

Sir Feyman follows Ethlehead across the bridge. "I say, Sir Ethelhad, nice work! Who knew the questions would be so challenging?"
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:40:17 pm by freeformschooler »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 30, 2011, 12:29:30 pm »

Oh dear... You've done it now.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 30, 2011, 07:15:51 pm »

...Watch in horror.
Love, scriver~

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 30, 2011, 07:23:04 pm »

...I actually forgot I had questions to answer.

Oh well, I'll leave it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 01, 2011, 02:44:52 am »

Sir Keardwall shall squint his face into a gravelly frown as he watches Sir Feyman, readying himself to fling a Holy Gherkin of Ranged Destruction at the old man of pointless questions if he should dare try anything nasty towards his friend and Questing companion!
He shall even throw multiple gherkins, should Sir Feyman's life be in danger! Yes, he is that heroic!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Seek the Grail! Turn 46: The Gherkin of Fate!
« Reply #356 on: December 01, 2011, 10:14:20 am »

Forty sixth turn!

England; the Dark Ages; Wednesday; the Gorge of Eternal Peril.

"I say, Sir Ethelhad, nice work! Who knew the questions would be so challenging?" exclaims Sir Feyman, as he steps forth to cross the bridge.

As the wise Sir Beadocáf looks on in horror, face covered by his chubby fingers, Feyman strides confidently across the rickety wooden walkway, imperiously barging past the blind old bridgekeeper. Keardwall’s frown increases in intensity as the blind man speaks. He squints like a rock towards the bridge.

“Eh! You great one armed oaf! What about the bloody questions!

He who approaches the Bridge of Death
Must answer me
These questions three!
Ere the other side he see!

Everyone knows that! Come back!”

“Oh Christ, he’s done it now,”
blurts out Beadocáf, as he peeks through his hands to see the bridgekeeper rush after Feyman, hand outstretched. The old man reaches out to Feyman’s shoulder.

“I said, what about the blo-“

The old man is interrupted by a blood curdling scream.

“Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! FEYMANNNNNNN! Don’t touch him you haggardy old scrote!! I’ll have you!!!”

Keardwall sprints onto the bridge, holding his jars in one hand and opening them with the other, fishing out a Holy Gherkin of Ranged Destruction and flinging it as violently as he can towards the dirty old man.

It misses!

Feyman wrestles with the old man’s surprisingly powerful grasp, and flees across the bridge, the blind questioner ambling quickly behind him.

“Feyman! Run! I shall hold them off! Save yourselves!”

As he runs on one leg, horribly unbalanced but nevertheless making good progress along the huge expanse of the cavernous gap beneath, Keardwall grabs another Holy Gherkin of Ranged Destruction, and hurls it wantonly at the nasty bridgekeeper!

It hits!

It ricochets!

It… oh shit!

As the defenceless old man tumbles in slow motion over the side ropes of the bridge, Keardwall watches in horror as the Holy Gherkin of Ranged Destruction flies back in an arc over him, sailing towards the terrified watching Beadocáf. It hits the end of the bridge! It severs the end of the bridge! The end of the Bridge of Death tumbles down into the Gorge of Eternal Peril, an endless number of feet below! Sir Feyman, mere inches from solid ground at the opposite end, just has time to grab hold of a rung of the Bridge of Death as it drops beneath him.

The rung of the Bridge of Death snaps!

Sir Feyman manages to grab the rung below!

The next rung of the Bridge of Death snaps!

Sir Feyman grabs another rung, which holds, and he dangles precariously from the rickety and fallen bridge. With his single arm he hangs there, glancing over his shoulder at the horrifying spectacle playing out above the Gorge of Eternal Peril.

Some hundred feet behind Feyman, Sir Keardwall slips as the Bridge of Death starts to disappear under him. He just has time to grab hold of a rung of the bridge as it drops into the abyss, swinging towards the far end of the gorge.

The rung of the Bridge of Death snaps!

Keardwall manages to grab hold of the rung below!

The next rung of the Bridge of Death snaps!

He grasps at the rung after that!

The rung of the Bridge of Death after that snaps!

A hundred rungs of the Bridge of Death snap in quick succession, splitting into dust and splinters and dry rot as Keardwall hurtles downwards into the Gorge of Eternal Peril shouting obscenity after stony English obscenity.

“BLOODY FOREIGN BRIDGES! BEADOCAF!!!” start Keardwall’s last heard uttered words, “TAKE CARE OF MY SPLEENE! PROMISE ME THAT YOU WILL SEE THAT NONE SHALL DO IT HARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGH!!!!!!

Titles Acquired: Sir Keardwall the Deceased, Creator of the Holy Exterior Spleen of Keardwall, Stony Defeater of Bandits, Destroyer of the Son of the Eel of Stafford, (the Terror of the West), Slayer of the Two-Headed Knight of the Wood of Doom, Soiler of Armour, Destroyer of the Bridge of Death and Saviour of Sir Feyman the Judging, Slayer of the Black Knight, Soiler of Underwear and Fiendish Smasher of the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

…   …   …   …   …   …

As Keardwall’s dying wishes vanish into the swirling mists of the Gorge of Eternal Peril, a large glass jar flies through the air towards the astonished Beadocáf. It is the Jar of the Holy Exterior Spleen of Keardwall!

It shatters at his feet.

“Do it harrrrrrrgh?”

…   …   …   …   …   …

On the other side of the Gorge, hidden from sight by the monstrous mists, Beadocáf can hear Ethlehed cry out.

“Feyman! Hold on goode Sir! Hold on! I shall pull you up! Oh shit, it’s the cops!”

…   …   …   …   …   …

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Seek the Grail! Turn 46: The Gherkin of Fate!
« Reply #357 on: December 01, 2011, 10:20:35 am »

Feyman shouts to the abyss: "FORGIVE ME, O KEARDWALL! I shall see to it that your legacy lives on! Now pull me up, Ethlehed. It should have been I that died, not he!"

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 01, 2011, 10:27:04 am »

"Do not fret, all that matters now is that we survive and complete our quest! Surely God will have a place by his side for the most honourable Sir Keardwell!"

Pull up Sir Feyman! Talk off the cops! If Feyman is pulled up and the cops are not willing to cooperate, fend them off while Feyman makes an escape! If I'm not done when they arrive, ask them to help me pull up Sir Feyman, for no cop wants to be responsible, even indirectly, for having a honourable Sir die. If they try to subdue me afterwards, I can still kick them in the shins.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 01, 2011, 10:44:20 am »

Beadocáf shouts down into the abyss after his comrade. "Do not worry, Expired Sire Keardwall! I shall take thine conservated remains to the -" He pauses for a moment, then turns his face up to Heaven instead "- Archbishop of Canterbury, where it shallt be place amongst the most holy relics of God's Chosen Few - for truly thou hasth dunne ye Duty To the Lord, and he hast called you home to Him. Ah, indeed, morte magis metuenda senectus. I swear it will be so! It shallt be recorded into mine Holy Quaerentus Acta, so that I do not forget it when this Quest for the Lord's Grail is over."

After taking this oath, Beadocáf attempts to figure out a way to maintain both the Spleen of the Passed and his own hand. And also a way over the chasm.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33