Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How I "Cheat" at Dwarf Fortress  (Read 8477 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
How I "Cheat" at Dwarf Fortress
« on: October 13, 2011, 08:49:40 pm »

Simple really, wall off the whole map without building any armor or crafts.  Assign masonry to everyone that is non essential labor.  Once that's done, or near done, you can ramp up craft/armor production.  As the enemy's scale their attack force based on your total value (and crafts/armor seem to be the most valuable items).

Once the area is walled off.  Start building traps near your planned entrances.

There is one minor problem, it's manageable.

When migrants/trade caravans arrive.  You have to open a part of your wall.  Open it away from any "'camped" enemies, towards your friendly arrivals.  Then close it as soon as they get in.  This could be potentially dangerous and may not be as successful as my attempts were.  A pre-built bridge that can be raised on a moments notice can accomplish the same thing.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How I "Cheat" at Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:51:32 pm »

Real dwarves start digging and hope they can get some kind of defense up before the pedophiles goblins cannon fodder come along.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 08:52:39 pm »

This is most often done with bridges, as you can build a drawbridge against the map's edge and then raise it to close it off.

Also, LOL when you get a siege mounted on giant bats!  All the walls in the world and you're still boned!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:55:02 pm »

This is most often done with bridges, as you can build a drawbridge against the map's edge and then raise it to close it off.

Also, LOL when you get a siege mounted on giant bats!  All the walls in the world and you're still boned!
For some reason I'm imagining the whole world covered in walls and floors, made so there is just a 1 z-level tall path to the fortress no matter where you are. On top of that, there are bridges all over the place acting like giant flyswatters...

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 08:58:51 pm »

Pfft, i don't have time to wall off the entire map, i need that time to get settled into my little hole in the dirt. Besides, any of my excess time goes into managing the construction of the DeathMaze, which will end up as many many many sections of walls around the fort anyway.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 09:27:40 pm »

First off.  Dig down of course!

And second.

pfft nothing.  You have plenty of time as the enemy isnt harsh if you don't have $.  When an enemy shows.  Create a burrow belowground, assign children to it (prolly the mom), and then lastly create a military with anyone with capable skills (most like woodcutters) and chase his out of there.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:30:21 pm »

But if we do that there's less chance of early fun and all the running and screaming we play this game for =/
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 09:34:28 pm »

Yeah I know, but it's great fun for those just starting.  I'm sure my iron armor is gonna run out of defensive action after steel or something worse shows up, as well as flying creatures.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 09:38:09 pm »

In vanilla, no invaders arrive with steel.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 09:39:36 pm »

I guess that's the definition of cheated then.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 09:41:10 pm »

If I don't want to be bothered by goblins or kobolds, I just turn off invasions until I get ready for them to show up.

Of course, that can lead to a traffic jam of deadly creatures showing up when you do turn it back on, but even that can be amusing in itself. Ever have a Bronze Colossus show up while a siege is on the map?

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 10:00:42 pm »

I tried to turn off invasion at a specific point to rebuild, AND IT DIDN'T WORK!  So I came up with this method.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 10:08:30 pm »

Then you did it wrong...

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 10:23:17 pm »

There is an easier way of doing this.  Instead of walling around the map, or building draw bridges at the edges and raising them, dig channels.

Digging and removing ramps is a hell of a lot faster than constructing walls (or constructing bridges, mechanisms, levers, linking them, and then finally raising them), and it requires no materials to do.

Then you can just build a couple bridges over your enormous moat and only extend them to let migrants/traders/enemies in when you want them.

If you have trees on your map, and they happen to grow on the immediate map edge, they can potentially block migrants/traders/enemies from moving very far from where they spawned on the map.  Which may or may not be a good thing.

However, don't do this.  Dwarf Fortress is more or less a sandbox game, challenge is scarce and cheating is just robbing you of having fun.  Remember, losing is fun!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:51:30 pm by melphel »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 10:30:39 pm »

Runesmith Genocide, just saying.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: [1] 2