Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hoy often do you get fey/possessed weaponsmiths?  (Read 2195 times)

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
Hoy often do you get fey/possessed weaponsmiths?
« on: October 13, 2011, 06:02:21 pm »

I only ever seem to get bone/stone/woodcrafters and they make mostly useless things. I want a bad-ass weapon dammit! Also can you get Armourers?

Another note - is there a way of 'getting' a convenient coughcoughcough weaponsmith fey mood?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hoy often do you get fey/possessed weaponsmiths?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 06:06:17 pm »

It's mostly a matter of luck it seems. I think moods are based on the highest skill, so a dwarf with the profession "weaponsmith" will get a weapon based mood. Provided I'm correct of course.

That means if you can grind enough dwarves to make their highest skill weaponsmithing (forge/melt/forge again bolts seems to be the best way) you should have some pretty damn good chances of getting a possessed weaponsmith.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:09:38 pm »

Runesmith has a flag that can force moods. But its broken at the moment.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 07:10:16 pm »

A mild exploit is possible here:  Give all dwarves with no skill that affects strange moods (go to the wiki, search strange moods for list) a turn at the forges.  If they later get a strange mood, it'll be a weapon.

This is how I avoid having an endless string of woodcrafting moods.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 07:20:45 pm »

I wouldn't call that an exploit at all.  I regularly stock a forge for bolts /R and have my useless migrants train up to level.  You've investing a bit of time and materials trying to skill up, after all.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 07:22:20 pm »

I don't... Abuse that in the slightest. It was pure luck I got a fey armorsmith create a pig iron mail shirt (how effective is that?) and become legendary 5 years in among 100 dwarves. Good times.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 08:21:08 pm »

Pig iron is poor, toss it in a stockpile and move on.

dieffenbachj

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Smiles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 08:23:03 pm »

If for some reason a dwarf is mooding in a way I don't like, usually wanting some material I don't have but sometimes if I'm getting my fourth bonecarver in a row (true story), I have a simple system in place.

I have a door in front of the workshop. Lock the dwarf in. He dies, wait for the next dwarf mood, repeat.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 08:31:27 pm »

Pig iron is poor, toss it in a stockpile and move on.
Ah, hell. Atleast my Aquanaut Commander for my underwater mini-base can have something special. Not like I expect him to fight anyway, despite having both a barracks and a screw pump fitness room in there...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 08:44:52 pm »

I usually specifically mod in the armor stand, to be a custom workshop that takes armor, a shield, and a weapon, and an armor stand, to create a decorative armor stand.  Similar is done with a weapon rack.

I think I'm going to add a thing for totem + weapon, or something, so that when I kill a goblin lawgiver I can mount his skull along with his armor in my dining hall.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 08:49:04 pm »

So far? About once per fortress.

I remember getting a capybara bone short sword once, and my current fortress is the proud owner of an artifact iron war hammer known as Clanmeetings.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 10:07:55 pm »

... an artifact iron war hammer known as Clanmeetings.
Now that will bring the meeting to order! :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 10:46:10 pm »

In my most recent fort, I have six legendary weaponsmiths.  One was from good old fashioned hard work, and lots of it.  The other five were all moods.  Two copper warhammers, one iron warhammer, one iron spear, one silver axe.

I kind of wish I had more armorer moods.  Best artifact armor I ever had was an iron left gauntlet...

Moods come at preset times.  Which dwarf gets the mood, what skill the mood is for, and what the artifact will be isn't determined until that time.  So you could scum back to before a mood starts if you want to try and get a different one.  Personally, I think that is too much work for what it is worth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 10:50:26 pm »

Wonder if there's any science to the specific timing of moods...

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 10:58:35 pm »

well, there can only be one at a time... Battlefailed helped to prove that with the lack of moods after one appeared in the Accursed Arena.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Pages: [1] 2