Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A minotaur, a labyrith, and a question about pitting.  (Read 808 times)

Train Poacher

• Bay Watcher
  • It menaces with spikes of bad decisions.
    • View Profile
A minotaur, a labyrith, and a question about pitting.
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:14:09 pm »

Hey all. My fort was just attacked by a minotaur which immediately fell into a cage trap. Now I want to build a labyrinth to house this horrible creature and torture my enemies. However, I have a question. I want to have a way of dropping many prisoners into a single spot in the labyrinth at once. I was thinking of something like this:

(Side view, of course)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The idea is to build a pit with a hatch at the bottom (2-3 z-levels down), which would drop multiple units into the labyrinth at once. I plan on having a few of these around the labyrinth. My only question, however, is this: Will the dwarfs hauling my prisoners to the pits get interrupted by the prisoners at the bottom of the pits? If so, how many z-levels would I have to separate them to keep the dwarfs from running away and releasing my prisoners?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: A minotaur, a labyrith, and a question about pitting.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:17:05 pm »

You can prevent your dwarves from being interrupted by the goblins in the pit by building a hatch cover over the pit.  The dwarf will open it just long enough to drop the goblin in, and should never get scared by the prisoners already in the pit.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:17:51 pm »

Ooh, looks tricky. I don't know the distance at which civilians will stop panicking, so I can't help there. I just know that you can't drop them more than 10 levels if you want something to be left alive for the murdertaur. :P

Ooh, zinc gives good advice.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 02:21:55 pm »

You can prevent your dwarves from being interrupted by the goblins in the pit by building a hatch cover over the pit.  The dwarf will open it just long enough to drop the goblin in, and should never get scared by the prisoners already in the pit.
Actually, the hatch never gets opened at all - the creature gets pitted directly through the hatch. The same trick works with bridges.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Train Poacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 02:25:28 pm »

Actually, the hatch never gets opened at all - the creature gets pitted directly through the hatch. The same trick works with bridges.

I love both of you. Now, does anyone have any suggestions for anything else I should include in the labyrinth? Or how large I should make it?

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:40:24 pm »

Add small rooms with stuff the gobbos could use to fight the minotaur (wooden armor, wooden weapons (stolen from elf mercheants), etc) and add traps to those rooms. Generally, trap the thing like mad (find a way so they don't trigger on minotaurs, only on gobbos), make a (fake, trapped) exit somewhere. Set up pressure plates which trigger random floodgates/bridges to change the layout of your maze on the go. Laugh while the gobbos try to find a way out while they're grinded to death. The only real way out leads through the minotaur's lair.
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 02:57:51 pm »

Will goblins pick things up?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 03:08:18 pm »

They technically can pick up things, but they never will.  Also don't be surprised if they don't actually fight.

And I love that picture.  That's just, everything right... glorious...

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 03:22:01 pm »

The picture is indeed perfect.

Maybe you, train poacher, need to place a few weapons in the labyrinth. Not just wooden, maybe an actual useful axe or something. And I don't mean just for the goblins, but just so the minotaur has something to juggle with too. :P
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Train Poacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 04:02:42 pm »

Thanks, guys. I'll see what I can do.