Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do infections do?  (Read 957 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do infections do?
« on: October 13, 2011, 12:58:13 pm »

I've noticed that, even when infected, my adventurers keep going basically unimpeded, and so I've begun working on deliberately infecting one via compound fractures from falling damage and then waiting for something to happen.

Despite repeatedly turning him into a skin bag of bone chips and blood, he's suffered only two infected fingers, and absolutely nothing has come of them. Is there something I'm missing, or do infections just sit quietly before being suddenly deadly? I haven't even seen pus or anything.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: What do infections do?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 01:05:03 pm »

Infections effectively cause internal bleeding, which is why an infected individual will become "Faint" and then "Pale" before succumbing to infection (and if you view their Health status, it will indicate some degree of "blood loss"). If a unit has sufficient recuperative ability, then minor infections will probably be harmless.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:21:22 pm »

I have never seen an individual with an infection suffer blood loss as a result of the infection, but it is true that they may not recover from blood loss at the time of the initial wound which created the infection, or that they could be infected by a forgotten beast/titan/other syndrome that causes constant blood loss and rot (which creates an infection until surgically removed by a doctor.)
As far as I know, they do absolutely nothing until some point in the future where that individual keels over on the spot, having "died of infection." I couldn't even tell you what the time frame usually is or how it is determined, and the wiki doesn't have any information either. It could be a random daily chance as with the artifacts; "today you have x% chance to die, roll to save!" where x is an integer which may or may not actually change. I've seen dwarves in fortress mode recover from an infection after some time, or the infection cleaned by a doctor successfully while still in the hospital, but the majority will die. Sometimes it takes years, sometimes under a season, and usually you have no idea they developed an infected wound during their last encounter, they just flop dead before your eyes with no status changes.

Good luck getting your adventurer to live long enough for the infection to kill him, I just usually ignore them because some groundhog rips my throat out instead. :P

However, continue your experiments and report your findings.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:59:49 pm »

I've already hit something of a stumbling block: for whatever reason, after my adventurer rests for a few days, the abandoned fortress I'm using as a lab starts having skin and leather randomly spawn on its tiles, as well as roaches popping up everywhere, which kills my framerate. Is there a good reason for this, or is it a bug?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:11:32 pm »

Well, sometimes roaches and other vermin do appear in swarms as you step on a certain tile, and you will be informed of this... is the entire fortress suddenly covered in thousands of them? Because THAT may not be normal, and actually a bug.

As far as the skin and leather; does it multiply as well? All the items you had in the fortress at the time of abandonment/destruction should exist in adventure mode, scattered all over the place. If there is significantly more skin or leather, especially of varieties you are certain you did not possess, then it is most likely a bug.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:32:13 pm »

I've already hit something of a stumbling block: for whatever reason, after my adventurer rests for a few days, the abandoned fortress I'm using as a lab starts having skin and leather randomly spawn on its tiles, as well as roaches popping up everywhere, which kills my framerate. Is there a good reason for this, or is it a bug?
it's not the roaches it's demons that get trap under the site unable to escape. you can see it your self if you grab Runesmith and look at the creature tab.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 11:25:17 pm »

That's also (probably) where the leather and stuff comes from; deep underground, demons/animal people are hunting and butchering and somehow the stuff teleports up to the surface, where you are.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 03:03:21 am »

As far as the skin and leather; does it multiply as well? All the items you had in the fortress at the time of abandonment/destruction should exist in adventure mode, scattered all over the place. If there is significantly more skin or leather, especially of varieties you are certain you did not possess, then it is most likely a bug.

Yes, it does. Subterranean creature skins and their tanned equivalents continually teleport onto previously blank squares, usually accompanied by 10-20 swarms of roaches per day.

It may well be the result of subterranean activity; could this be the reverse of the sudden underground teleport bug?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 03:07:57 am »

Quietust is actually right here, infections do cause blood loss as their mechanism of killing a creature. However I don't think that they actually cause the blood loss until they kick in and actually kill, before that they just sit there not doing anything until the timer goes "bing" and the blood loss starts.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.