Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What have I done  (Read 1855 times)

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What have I done
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:07:52 am »

Due to an alcohol related thirst/tantrum spiral issue (ironically had over 1500 alcohol inaccessible due to camping goblins), started again and got a dwarf with a mood. he was drawing a skeleton and raw gems, which I had plenty of so I left him alone. He just went berserk, which was problematic as he was a lv 10 marksman with a crossbow. Drafted a miner to deal with him and took him down fast enough, then noticed with Therapist that the miner was miserable. Turns out the hunter was her best friend and I just told her to punch him to death. For some reason this strikes me as worse than slaughtering kittens to feed my fortress. feels bad man  :'(  Anyone know why the dwarf didn't collect the bones from one of the skeletons lying around? Just had another dwarf request bones and I'm concerned about a repeat.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:44:18 am by Spacespinner »
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What have I done
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 11:47:59 am »

that's the nature of the game, I;m afraid.. we're jsut going along hapily slaughtering out little pixels, and something makes us care.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 11:52:35 am »

Yeah. any idea why I'm unable to use the skeleton to fulfill the bones requirement? as I said in the edit, it's  happening again and I would rather not have a repeat.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 11:54:25 am »

Old burrow assignments?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 11:56:59 am »

None whatsoever. he seemed happy to walk out and grab wood, but the bones don't seem to be working. if it helps, it is a reclaimed fortress (tantrum spiral literally an hour into the game before so reclaimed)

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 11:59:32 am »

skeleton wasn't processed? macabre mood?

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 12:00:51 pm »

How do i process skeletons?

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 12:05:01 pm »

I don't think you can do that with skeletons, you need actual bone items.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:08:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure that skeletons DO work. They decompose right now but don't actually end up as a pile of bones, which is why it's rare to have goblin bone bolts these days if you don't edit your entity ethics to allow sapient butchering.

Anyway.

I'm pretty sure the issue wasn't with the bones but he was missing some other material.
Maybe he wanted some specific raw gem, or you didn't have enough of 'em, or he wanted some other item that you missed.

But yes, being a dwarf is suffering.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 12:15:25 pm »

How do i process skeletons?
should happen automatically, if you have a butcher shop, and the relevant labour active. (might need to designate a stockpile for dead stuff nearby as well.)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 12:16:45 pm »

I don't know if this will help any but I will note on moods with bones dwarves will use entire stacks of bones to fullfill one requirement, so a dwarf that wants 3 bones might end up taking like 3 stacks of 20.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 12:25:19 pm »

A skeleton is not "bones". You want something like "yak bones[5]". Find some tame animal that's standing around your dining hall being useless and slaughter it, and the butcher will give you a stack of bones.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 12:27:48 pm »

Ok, thanks. will genocide the useless bull outside, hope it will work. So I get a bone/s from it, no need to craft them into something for it to use right?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 12:31:49 pm »

No. Unless you want to turn them into trader fodder/bolts/bone armor, for that you'll need a craftsdwarf worshop.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 12:33:00 pm »

Ok, thanks. will genocide the useless bull outside, hope it will work. So I get a bone/s from it, no need to craft them into something for it to use right?
Your dwarf who is asking for them will do the crafting. You might say hes in the mood for it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: [1] 2