Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 135

Author Topic: kingdoms: web-based RPG  (Read 130556 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: kingdoms: web-based RPG
« Reply #1905 on: January 24, 2015, 06:00:08 pm »

Waspenesse is just a bit north of where our kingdom will be founded I reckon, so you don't have to go far.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #1906 on: January 24, 2015, 07:57:37 pm »

Okay, got a quest to find an artifact in a dungeon, in the dungeon, can't find the gewgaw after combing the place pretty thoroughly.

Is there a secret to finding secret doors, or should I just be searching in every room until something shows up?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: January 24, 2015, 08:18:08 pm »

Jumping on a teleporter can help. Searching seems to find things in neighboring tiles too, so you only have to search every third tile along a wall, this works at least along a wall, don't know if it would work if you stand in the middle of a 3x3 room to find secret doors in the other tiles. If it does then that would improve search strategies.

You can also consider the size of the quest reward vs how many turns needed to find it. It might be more cost-effective to go find another dungeon, or to portal out, and come back to do the search when the dungeon refills with monsters. Also, doors randomly reveal or get hidden on subsequent visits, so you might come back and see an unopened door on the map you can't see now, for free with no searching (leveling up awareness on a priest helps reveal more doors on entering a dungeon). You can even get multiple quests for the same dungeon later, killing two birds with one stone.

BTW on subsequent visits sometimes you know a door is there but it's not showing up, and/or your allowed-moves indicator says you can't move through the wall. Ignore this and click on the other side of the wall, tile-pathing is caculated when you move, independent of visibile or locked doors, so sometimes you can move to places the game tells you you can't.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 08:29:07 pm by Reelya »

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: January 24, 2015, 08:53:27 pm »

I've had to give up on a dungeon quest a couple of times because of that -- I scoured the dungeon and found nothing.  The quest reward is pretty small compared to all the gold, loot, and xp you get searching the dungeon, so it's not a big deal.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: January 24, 2015, 09:42:41 pm »

I get about $50K from raiding a level 4 dungeon, so any quest rewards are just a little extra. If I can't find the chest I basically give it up once the dungeon is empty of victims monsters.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: January 25, 2015, 12:10:56 am »

One time the item I was looking for was in a chest... in a room I walked through multiple times. rip

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #1911 on: January 25, 2015, 12:19:43 am »

I sorta wonder how the game decides where to put the objective item, I wonder if it's not just a random chance when a chest opens to get it, and sometimes you have to leave and come back when the chests refill?

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: January 25, 2015, 12:26:00 am »

How do I find a dungeon?  I click to pay a sage 300 gp to find a level 1 dungeon and nothing happens.  No money paid, and if I check my landmarks no dungeons listed.  Do I have to be a minimum level for the sage to give me a dungeon location?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: January 25, 2015, 12:29:30 am »

How do I find a dungeon?  I click to pay a sage 300 gp to find a level 1 dungeon and nothing happens.  No money paid, and if I check my landmarks no dungeons listed.  Do I have to be a minimum level for the sage to give me a dungeon location?
Sages are broken on especially chrome.  But just take quests for 'retrieve item from dungeon'.  If you can't accept the quest, keep leveling up.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1914 on: January 25, 2015, 12:34:22 am »

Or use the map in Reelya's signature. Just PM him for the password.

Edit: Ashford has a blacksmith! Oh glorious day!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:13:36 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #1915 on: January 26, 2015, 07:13:16 pm »

Considering setting up a garrison near aldercradle at 60,60.

So the tide of questions continues!

Should I have a party in the garison at all times? Is a level 1 party with a high level mage or something too risky for the purpose of garrisoning? Can I make a garrison and not put anyone into it?

While I'm here, how much would killing enemy parties in garisons help the effort?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:27:21 pm by Seriyu »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: January 26, 2015, 07:31:28 pm »

It costs 15 turns to place a new garrison, but remember you'd end up spending more turns moving back to that base from wherever you happen to be. And when your party are in the garrison, what to do with the guys who were there? Now, they're missing out on XP instead of your main guys.

It's more effective to just garrison 6-7 of your party wherever you happen to be, and leave 1-2 characters in your party (leaving the party on top of the garrison seems pretty safe so far for me, but a city is safer), then you don't need to spend turns moving to your garrison location and can camp wherever you happen to be and still level up. Just scrap the garrison when you're party is ready to move.

With extra teams of guys you end up wasting turns shifting them back and forth due to the 8 character limits. Only worry about this once you want to make a permanent garrison which is training up for it's own sake, and you want to do that near a free city you plan to conquer (at party level 15). All the stuff near Aldercradle is already conquered so just pop down a temporary camp wherever you happen to be adventuring.

Since my castles have full-time garrisons training up, I just camp my main party out in the wilderness for XP instead of juggling them with guys in the castles, because someone always misses out on XP if I do that.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:36:50 pm by Reelya »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #1917 on: January 26, 2015, 07:42:47 pm »

Good to know, thanks!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: January 26, 2015, 08:11:53 pm »

Wow, two level 1 dungeons next to each other @ 59,60 and 59,61. Handy for you new guys.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: January 27, 2015, 02:34:23 am »

Update: we have a slight issue, in that Skr (Green player) went and grabbed an empty castle right in the middle of our area. This castle was mentioned a while ago, and marked on the map but none of us went and grabbed it, which is a slight facepalm moment. The real risk is that Green decides to extend his region to the South by taking over cities here, so please go for a city as soon as you hit level 15. Ask here for help from higher-level players and we'll help by exterminating guards for you, to soften up the defences. That way elite guards will be no problem.

People should speed up making fortified garrisons if you can. Even if you're not level 15 and can't take a city yet, you could help out by getting some recruits together and start working on building fortified garrisons. Definitely level up for a city, but you can work on fortifying the countryside somewhat before that, it's all helpful.

To speed things up, I'd like to try a collaborative experiment. I want to try dropping a castle on top of an existing garrison that belongs to someone else. (78,78) would be the most convenient location. If that works then it would streamline things a lot in securing those blue positions I marked on the map, and I'd be happy to pay for the building materials, if others can manage getting some recruits to guard the castle.

If it's not possible to build on top of someone else's garrison, we'd have to coordinate to be online at the same time, I go build the castle, then you seize it right away and stick some guards in. The minimum level for seizing a castle is probably the same as building one, level 10.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:37:04 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 135