Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shadowrun Online  (Read 2600 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shadowrun Online
« on: October 13, 2011, 07:49:25 am »

The same people that are making Jagged Alliance Online are making my much beloved Shadowrun into a browser based online game. Kill me now. Ok, maybe it won't be so bad, but it waters down the IP, making it that much harder to get a full fledged AAA titlehttp://www.cliffhanger-productions.com/content/list/details/id/65
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Online
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:58:58 am »

Oh geez, this can't end well.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 10:31:17 am »

cant be worst than MS shadowrun...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:45:37 pm »

I dunno, these guys seem to 'get' Jagged Alliance more than any other modern studio, I think they could do well with this. We'll have to see I guess.

echonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 03:22:14 pm »

It's just so hard to pull off something like Shadowrun properly...

Every time I see someone make an attempt I just cringe.  The SNES and Genesis games were the best digital representations I've seen and really they were extremely limited.

It's such an awesome setting with soooo much potential for awesome...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 04:38:26 pm »

I'll just leave this here.

http://awakenedmmo.org/
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 04:49:53 pm »

The fact they made JA2 actually gives me a modicum of hope they know what they're doing with the IP and setting. Still, no one since Nintendo/Sega has given the IP any real respect and I don't want to hope otherwise and be disappointed. Who knows though, maybe they're serious about the IP. The SS to me at least shows they get part of it. Browser-based may mean it's cut down from a AAA....but a wildly successful browser game is proof of concept that publishers like seeing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 05:02:33 pm »

OK i just have to LOL at this, they are showing off these stone arches in the art assets: http://awakenedmmo.org/gallery/view.php?img=148

like what? they are not even good, AT ALL. Why are they showing this off anyway? They dont even look like stone arches, they are just curved shapes with some really bad textures applied. They have no suggestion of stoney-ness or lumpyness, etc.

dont get me wrong, theres some OK stuff in the gallery like this: http://awakenedmmo.org/gallery/view.php?img=85

I dont have much faith in this one, but I guess I'm just an old, grumpy cynic at this point. Besides, MMO is probably the LAST format I would want to see my beloved Shadowrun portrayed in. Would rather see it in something like Neverwinter Nights format with some nice GM/world-building tools and the ability to run small community persistent worlds. Why wont somebody make that, dammit!
I got nothing

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 05:12:29 pm »

OK i just have to LOL at this, they are showing off these stone arches in the art assets: http://awakenedmmo.org/gallery/view.php?img=148

like what? they are not even good, AT ALL. Why are they showing this off anyway? They dont even look like stone arches, they are just curved shapes with some really bad textures applied. They have no suggestion of stoney-ness or lumpyness, etc.

dont get me wrong, theres some OK stuff in the gallery like this: http://awakenedmmo.org/gallery/view.php?img=85

I dont have much faith in this one, but I guess I'm just an old, grumpy cynic at this point. Besides, MMO is probably the LAST format I would want to see my beloved Shadowrun portrayed in. Would rather see it in something like Neverwinter Nights format with some nice GM/world-building tools and the ability to run small community persistent worlds. Why wont somebody make that, dammit!
Because everyone is an utter dipshit out to get you and bring us down, man!
/fellowparanoiatease

Anyways, yes. That would be a great overall game, not just for Shadowrunners. There would be a lot of money due to it being a damn monopoly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 05:30:59 pm »

Here's a tidbit from the a Gamespy article on this:

Cliffhanger is working with current and former Shadowrun writers, editors, and artists on this one, so after the trainwreck that was Shadowrun on Xbox 360 and PC in 2007, this game should be true to the franchise's roots. As a browser-based game it won't be too pretty, but it should give fans the cyberpunk-meets-magic goodness they love.

Former editors, writers and artists = good things IMO. At the very least we're not going to see the soul-crushing stupidity of the visuals from the MS Shadowrun game.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 06:17:38 pm »

Anything that is funded by microtransactions usually is a big red mark for me.  It encourages the developers to make things less fun or less fair unless you pay them more.   I don't think I've enjoyed a game yet with them.   :-\
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 08:03:00 pm »

If they load it up with dirty, tattooed punks (the way it should be) I may be inclined to play it a bit.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 08:58:14 pm »

Anything that is funded by microtransactions usually is a big red mark for me.  It encourages the developers to make things less fun or less fair unless you pay them more.   I don't think I've enjoyed a game yet with them.   :-\

Eh, League of Legends was just fine, but they run the store for mainly cosmetic items, nothing that gives people an absolute advantage in game. MMO developers need to decide whether they want to walk that fine line or not, but it generally goes downhill from there.

As for the art... reminds me of my first forays into the graphics creation/design classes for gaming. Arches, woo! No royalty textures, yeah!

Not to say that it means much for the final product, but if this is what the game is "showing off" as the start of its work, I'm not entirely impressed. Especially considering how often people tend to run good IP into the ground these days.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 09:00:24 pm »

Generally any team that starts trying to drum up interest by showing off their alpha production stuff is already way off the mark to me. I mean really, who exactly is going to get excited by a rough outline of something in Maya or 3dMax?

I usually take it a sign the project will be dead in a year because all the excitement is up front, where it's least important.
Pages: [1] 2