Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FB blood/vapour/breath/etc too bad...  (Read 854 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FB blood/vapour/breath/etc too bad...
« on: October 13, 2011, 03:20:00 am »

So I've scumsaved the same fort 5 times now, each time after an almost identical FB (well, wildly different description, but exactly the same poisonous something) appears, and after my squads kill it, half the fort dies of rot/paralysation/suffocation/etc.

And to cap it off, they are coming from a part of the caverns that I've tried blocking off completely and I can't see any ways through, but they still appear in the main caverns easily.

Sigh.  I like the idea of FBs, but each one being easy to kill, and then wiping out my fort with its blood, etc is getting very annoying.  Very, very annoying...

Any way to cope with this, other than flooding the caverns with magma.  It would be fun, but destroy my frame rate.  Actually, I might try that...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

sobriquet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FB blood/vapour/breath/etc too bad...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 03:59:41 am »

sounds like you've solved the problem all on your ownesome, with one post :)

oh, but really, magma.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 04:40:41 am »

Make a large "quarantine disposal zone" somewhere. Make it sealable with raisebridges(those can't be destroyed once up) at both the military entry and the spot it opens to the caverns. Get your soldiers inside, raise the outer bridge. Once FB starts it's charge towards your inner rooms, seal off the room. It'll still path to the raised bridge but the soldiers will get it's attention long before it gets there.

You can SORT OF safely observe the effects of the deadly blood/dust then. Hopefully you won't do the same mistake and I and let all your soldiers make friends and when they all suffocate due to deadly dust they won't send you into a tantrum spiral that leaves the whole fort underwater after some wise guy smashes a floodgate.

Anyway.

For extra security, make the room flushable with magma. It'll get rid of the blood spatter, ALTHOUGH I'm not 100% sure if it'll affect dust-covered items. Maybe it'll boil it away, not sure if item covered materials interact with the outerworld in any other way than getting on people's skin and fucking 'em up. If not, just keep all the crap that's contaminated forbidden.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 04:42:04 am »

DFcleanmap cleans away splatter. Though doesnt remove coatings on objects and dorfs.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 04:56:19 am »

Have a place where you can kill the FB with spikes. I have a 1 tile wide entry to the caverns. a couple doors 3 tiles apart and spike traps in between. They will try to destroy your doors and stand 2 tiles away from them.
I kill them with my military if they dont seem too bad, but some will just have to die by the spikes.
If they survive them...well, then they really deserve to destroy my fortress. :P

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:04:24 am »

Decontamination room. (Not ABSOLUTELY sure this works but I think it does...)

Anyway, mist. One month exposure.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 10:16:12 am »

DFcleanmap cleans away splatter. Though doesnt remove coatings on objects and dorfs.
I've written plugins for DFHack which take care of both of those - cleanitems will only work on Windows because peterix hasn't yet updated the item base class to include the pointer to the contaminants vector, but cleanunits ought to work fine on Linux/Mac.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:23:23 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 10:19:29 am »

I've written plugins for DFHack which take care of both of those, but I haven't yet released them - cleaning items only works on Windows because peterix hasn't yet updated the item base class to include the pointer to the contaminants vector, and cleaning units currently relies on an "unknown" field in df_creature (specifically, "unk_498") and I'd prefer to wait until it's been given a proper name.

...Well. Fantastic. :D
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 04:00:45 pm »

I've written plugins for DFHack which take care of both of those - cleanitems will only work on Windows because peterix hasn't yet updated the item base class to include the pointer to the contaminants vector, but cleanunits ought to work fine on Linux/Mac.

Quietust, is there documentation somewhere on how to write DFHack plugins? I'd like to modify vdig to designate ramps or channels instead of digs, and I think my programming expertise is quite a bit lower than yours.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 04:19:08 pm »

The DFHack thread over in the Modding forum should have a decent amount of information. Additionally, peterix recently added a "skeleton" plugin template for people who want to make their own plugins from scratch, though you wouldn't need that - for what you want to do, it'd be as simple as editing vdig.cpp and changing the "des.bits.dig = DFHack::designation_default;" at the very bottom to "des.bits.dig = DFHack::designation_ramp;" or "des.bits.dig = DFHack::designation_channel;", then recompiling it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 04:28:19 pm »

Thanks. I'll pore over that thread.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.