Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: !!Blizzard Man!!  (Read 4246 times)

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!Blizzard Man!!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 09:45:44 am »

On a mac, go to the edit menu and choose Special Characters... (or hit option-command-t).  You get a palette of all the unicode, so you can look for the symbols. ‼☼₤♔♕♖♗♘♙  You can also save things to favorites, and search by name ("double ex" brings up ‼ for instance).
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 01:52:15 pm »

I always imagined Blizzard men to look like Storm Atronachs but instead of rocks and lightning they had snow and frozen weapons and bones.

I guess I was wrong.

Although it does lead to the awesome picture of a Storm Atronach on fire.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 02:52:15 pm »

Also: Alt+19 for ‼Double Exclamations‼
Thank ‼you‼
And alt+15 is ☼

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 02:56:41 pm »

Excellent, much obliged.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 03:59:57 pm »

How do you do double exclamations on a Mac? Anyone?
It's a little harder dwarfier on Mac, and requires a little set-up.

Go into system preferences->international->input menu, find "unicode hex input" in the list and check it.

Also make sure that "show input menu in menu bar" is selected.

You'll now see, to the left of the clock and the battery, a flag indicating what language keyboard you have selected. Click that flag, and select the "U+" flag to turn on unicode input.

You'll be able to type using a US English keyboard layout, and you'll be able to enter Unicode characters by holding down the option key and typing the unicode number in Hex.

The useful DF codes that I know are:
‼ : option + 203C
☼ : option + 263C

They're both 2_3C, which makes it a little easier to remember.

In general, if you need to find the code for a character that you can cut and paste from the internet, you can convert the character to its unicode (this is the best converter I've found, only annoying factor is that it calls text "ASCII", which is only a valid description of the first 127 Unicode characters, but it works for everything I've tried), and then remember the unicode when you want to enter it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:32:08 pm by Grumbledwarfskin »

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 06:19:53 pm »

I actually noticed this before in the testing arena. Dropping a Blizzard man into lava will cause it to melt, but never die. Every single bit of fat was gone from his body, but he refused to die, or get even hurt. So ironically, they're immune to heat.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 08:08:18 pm »

They'll die in lava pools, but because they drown rather than because they melted. Even that only seems to happen if you take control of the blizzard man and move through the lava.

Blizzardmen do take damage from heat by the way; dragonfire and lava will burn out their eyes and render them unable to see beyond the squares immediately around them. It's just that they never take enough damage from heat for it to actually kill them. Nor will they bleed out. I took control of a Blizzard Man in the arena and let a dragon chase me around the screen; it burned out my eyes and I bled constantly while running around the screen, but didn't die until the dragon sliced me in half.

I will say that a semi-melted Blizzard Man seems to be a lot more susceptible to having limbs and heads punched/clawed/bitten off than an intact one. So the game seems to recognize that a half-melted Blizzard Man is fragile even if it doesn't realize that said injuries are enough to kill it.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 12:08:34 am »

And the fact that Blizzardmen are so hard to kill makes them excellent targets in the archery range. A single Blizzardman can last YEARS before that lucky decapitation.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 12:17:15 am »

≡Alt+240≡
☺Alt+1☺
Code: [Select]
╔═╗
║Θ║
╚┼╝
Bedroom
Every character in DF can be typed.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Character_table

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 09:55:44 am »

≡Alt+240≡

So how exactly does that work? When I press 4 on the numpad with Alt down, it simply takes me back to the previous page...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 10:20:47 am »

Switch numlock on.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 10:52:28 am »

press and hold Alt while you type the whole number. Funilly the 240 symbol doesnt work for me, most of the others do though :( . Seems some i can only get by cut&pasting (≡)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 11:23:06 am »

­So THAT's why there's a numlock-key even when you have a numpad! :o

Even so, it still doesn't work.­­

Others seem to work fine though. ‼☼☺☼‼

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 [2]