Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: !!Blizzard Man!!  (Read 4247 times)

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!Blizzard Man!!
« on: October 12, 2011, 10:15:58 pm »

So, I did another glacial fortress in an evil biome. Spawned with a Blizzard Man, no biggie, I'll just use the stone I brought to wall in.

Well, he got in before I could wall up, but thanks to a pet that has a paralysis attack, no loss.

A month passes of dwarves wrestling the thing... I get bored and set their speed to 0 to, well, speed it up.

Another month passes, the usual everything is broken, bruised, scarred, ect. Not even the faint slight of death, so I did what any sensible person would with minor knowledges of the RAW's would do, [DRAGONFIREBREATH]...

It catches flames, and I order everyone away from it, hoping it will burn to death in a short while...

Yet another month passes, it's still sitting in the entrance of my approx. 12 tile deep fortress, burning, not dieing, preventing any sensible progress...

Now I'm all, wtf mate, it's a burning man, hairier than a wookie, and fatter than a hutta, two factors that should lead to a quick death of flames, even in an arctic situation. Is my logic flawed, or is there something wrong with this situation?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: !!Blizzard Man!!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 10:26:39 pm »

Now I'm all, wtf mate, it's a burning man, hairier than a wookie, and fatter than a hutta, two factors that should lead to a quick death of flames, even in an arctic situation. Is my logic flawed, or is there something wrong with this situation?
I think blizzard men are in the !!special!! set of creatures which can only be killed through dismemberment.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:27:07 pm »

It's been recognized.  They don't have a proper material definition, much like plump helmet men, and thus will burn forever without damage.  Weaponize this as you will.

Also: Alt+19 for ‼Double Exclamations‼ and your avatar appears to be volcanic lightning.  Often during an eruption, the changes in air pressure and density and all the exotic particles in the air causes thunder and lightning.  It's fascinating, really.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:30:01 pm »

your avatar appears to be volcanic lightning.  Often during an eruption, the changes in air pressure and density and all the exotic particles in the air causes thunder and lightning.  It's fascinating, really.
Oh, so that's what it is..... shame, I was hoping for it to remain under the assumption of photoshopped...

And I knew it would be DF that was messed up...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:31:42 pm »

It may be a shoop meant to replicate volcanic lightning, certainly.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 11:33:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 11:40:52 pm »

We need to add the tameable tag to blizzard men, set them alight and send them toward the enemy. I can just imagine entire droves of goblin and troll walking into battle before stumbling out on fire.

It will be glorious.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 11:44:03 pm »

How do you do double exclamations on a Mac? Anyone?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:04:36 am »

Google "unicode" for comparisons.  If you know the windows code them the mac/linux should be easy to find.  Copy-paste and google are your friend.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 12:41:02 am »

When ‼Blizzard Men‼ are finally killed (usually via decapitation or bisection) the XXcorpseXX finally burns away into nothing in moments. The fact that they are alive prevents them from burning away completely, and they won't melt or bleed to death even if they swim in magma.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 12:48:23 am »

It isn't a shop.  I've seen that particular image before and, iirc, it is from an Icelandic eruption in the last few years.  I don't remember for sure if it was last year or earlier.  Based on a big of Googling it is indeed an Icelandic volcano.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 01:36:18 am »

I've always been under the impression that blizzard men were made of ice.  Kind of like bronze colossi, but much smaller and made of ice.  And it's a special kind of ice that has a set temperature like nether caps, so you can't melt them.

Or you know....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 02:28:50 am »

How do you do double exclamations on a Mac? Anyone?
Shift 1+Shift 1? Lol. Anyways I don't think there is a default shortcut for it. I can't even manage to find the symbol in my computer's symbol database. Of course there are like 50,000 oriental/middle-eastern characters in there, so I might have missed it, upside down exclamations yes, double exclamations no.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 05:00:16 am »

Also: Alt+19 for ‼Double Exclamations‼
Thank ‼you‼
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 05:38:41 am »

and your avatar appears to be volcanic lightning.  Often during an eruption, the changes in air pressure and density and all the exotic particles in the air causes thunder and lightning.  It's fascinating, really.

Damn you woman for being so damn brainy! I see the first post in the thread, have nothing to say, see his avatar, see the text accompanying it, start googling "pyroclastic flow" and other related things, find something promising, scroll down the thread and see you've already said what it is! >:U

shame, I was hoping for it to remain under the assumption of photoshopped...

What do you mean, shame? If it was a photoshop it wouldn't have nearly been as gol' dang impressive!
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Pages: [1] 2