Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Dwarven Caring Thread  (Read 4643 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
The Dwarven Caring Thread
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:45:52 pm »

So here at Bay 12, and DFers in general, like to kill things. Lots of things. Lots of ways.

But occasionally DF plays it's trump card; something small, something vulnerable. Something that you would normally kill and probably eat, catches your heartstrings and never lets go. You fall in love with a tiny, lowercase letter, and you actively work to save it's little life and if possible, integrate it into your fort.

We all know they happen. Cacame is one case, and looked how he turned out. We have hundreds of threads about dwarves slaughtering thing, we can stand one thread about the nice things.

So, forum, what've you saved lately?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Caring Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:55:30 pm »

I saved a bunch of my dorfs. There was a Forgotten Beast that breathed fire, so I hovered over it with DF Liquids and spammed water commands every couple of seconds.

I don't care if it's cheating, we weren't ready for that much !!fun!! yet!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:59:55 pm »

Kobolds...  And I wouldn't be doing it right if I just left the foxes out.  I try to cage them and put them in a free-range zoo, if I can afford the enclosure.  Pet foxes are often given away.

I also, generally, actively try to save dwarves.  If they're trying.  My mason walls himself into a well, let him die.  Urist McChildPants goes outside to retrieve an iron pike to bring inside, I send the army to protect him from an ambush.  McChildPants is doing a good job of being a dwarf.  We like to melt iron pikes!  Let the useless die, encourage good behavior!

...they never learn.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:03:30 pm »

I have a mayor who decided to ban the export of figurines (after I had already sold them to the caravan), and I DIDN'T kill him!

On a more serious note, I have actually been trying to keep my current fortress alive and happy, rather than my usual "meh, they're just dwarves, who cares if they die" or "this fortress will die in a fiery cataclysm, by thunder!" attitudes.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 09:03:37 pm »

As elvishly rotten as it is, I have a soft spot for my dwarves...
I always try to keep them from dying.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:09:06 pm »

I once captured a fluffy wambler in a animal trap - threw it in a masterwork silver cage and threw it in my dining hall.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:27:57 pm »

Kobolds...  And I wouldn't be doing it right if I just left the foxes out.  I try to cage them and put them in a free-range zoo, if I can afford the enclosure.  Pet foxes are often given away.

I can never get my dwarves to adopt my foxes as pets. I've only ever seen one dwarf adopt wolves (although, she did adopted about 25 of them.) I wish they didn't need a dungeon master, especially since he never shows up and I have to mod the raws to tame them. It's also a shame their pet value is surpassed by even dogs.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:30:46 pm »

Nothing spectacular Lately. I do remember a dwarf saving her dog from a goblin snatcher once, though.

If I'm remembering correctly, a goblin snatcher had just been spotted by my armorer, who swiftly received an iron blade to the gut by said goblin as it was making its escape.
It crossed paths with a war dog, who proceeded to bite, claw, and generally put up a good fight. Once it reached the grassy area above my fortress entrance, it had apparently had enough, and slashed the dog in two of its legs.

The dog refused to give up, and kept attacking. I sit there thinking "well shit, I'm gonna lose this awesome little guy to the snatcher" when OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE, a bolt comes flying through the air, and hits the goblin right in the hand. It drops its dagger and bag, and begins to run off, leaving a trail of blood. The hunter(who is actually the one that trained the dog, if I recall) appears, fires another bolt, and kills the goblin.
This hunter and her dog became an amazing pair, after a few more times of seeing them help each other out, I finally assigned the dog to her. They stuck together til the end of the fortress.

An amazing tale those two had, I will have to look them up in legends sometime...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:41:57 pm by King DZA »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 09:38:41 pm »

I love those moments.  "He shot the goblin in the hand and the snatcher dropped the knife" just seems so amazing.

But, this thread is more about what YOU do to be nice, not what the creatures do.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 09:44:39 pm »

Anyone else can die, but I won't let any real harm come to the Legendary Speardwarf in my fortress.  He's just too damn badass to lose.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 09:46:09 pm »

I care about my dwarves. I may build excessively cruel traps for everybody else, but if one of the little boozebeards gets himself into danger, I do everything I can to save him, no matter if it's a child, Urist McFishcleaner or a legendary armorsmith. Nobles with completely impossible mandates (slade items and such) are the single notable exception.

Pets on the other hand... if they walk into a repeater-powered spike trap or the obsidianizing chamber without a very good reason, there's no reason they should live. Let its owner go mad with grief - it's his own fault, he got that dumb peacock and then didn't look after it properly. All other animals are butchered as soon as possible. What else can you do with a dozen puppies anyway?

I do have a little weak spot for really cool forgotten beasts and titans. When I'm really impressed by the description, I try to capture it and let it live in a shut-off cave.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 09:49:12 pm »

Well i once removed all my mayors room items and replaced them with steel copys to make him happy.

I sometimes find mothers caring for their babies and get them out of the military for a while.

I also have like a Fortress drawing day, everyone gets to draw what's on their mind and great times they remember.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 09:51:21 pm »

I do care for minotaurs...  I take care to capture and cultivate them.

FYI, I usually pasture pets, and then pick one every year to throw off a cliff.  Gets rid of the blighters and doesn't hurt mood too much at any given time.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:07 pm »

I love those moments.  "He shot the goblin in the hand and the snatcher dropped the knife" just seems so amazing.

But, this thread is more about what YOU do to be nice, not what the creatures do.

No worries, i'm well aware. It's why i mention that i personally have done nothing particularly special. I just thought it was a nice moment that fit with the caring theme of this thread.
My main problem is, i don't have any stories of me being especially nice, because i'm almost always nice, so nothing really ever stands out.

Perhaps you should take a look at my policy:
In DF, i usually follow a policy of "only murder things that impede progress/piss me off".

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:59:01 pm by King DZA »

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 10:07:29 pm »

I basically try to catch everything that shows up at my fortress, but when I hug them their widdle heads tend to pop...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.
Pages: [1] 2 3