Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My newest graveyard design:  (Read 8131 times)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
My newest graveyard design:
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:16:24 pm »

Hi. I decided to change it up again, as this is the first time in a while that I'm really serious about keeping a fort alive. Ironic, then, that I should have spent the most time so far on the place where they go at the end of it all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The basic design is pretty much the same, except I moved the main units around a bit to make room for some noble tombs.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: My newest graveyard design:
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:30:45 pm »

So basically, a statue in front of each coffin?  Looks nice, but doesn't hold many bodies.  And let's face it, your fort is going to have body piles and mass graves will become essential.  Just be honest here, that's not even going to satisfy "the ones I care about" for long.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:45:57 pm »

No, but it's pretty neat looking. Also, I doubt my fort will live long enough for me to cover an entire z-level with this. Realistically, I may breach the fun stuff within a week.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:02:46 pm »

It doesn't look compact enough.  There's lots of empty space.  Or rather, solid walls.  Empty spaces could add atmosphere, but the large chunks of solid wall are icky.  I usually try a mass graveyard with simple coffins lining the floor, or make rows some 10 long, with holes punched in the walls to put a coffin behind a door.  I usually give my recruit squads their own section, because they're all going to die together and be buried together in the first ambush.  If any manage to survive, then they get promoted and moved to individual tombs.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:05:15 pm »

Eh. I saved and stopped playing once I designated it out, so I can still change it to however I want. Especially if I get bored or something, gives me a bit to do.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:08:08 pm »

I also tend to make grave tombs like these. (But with statues BEHIND the coffins.)
I tend to have small forts to begin with and heighten the limit as the fort progress.
Also, Mass graves won't be much nessecary as I tend to drop my enemies off bridges.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:13:21 pm »

Toady has confirmed that necromancers will be capable of raising any corpse they have a line of sight to, including corpses in coffins.  For this reason, I'm debating the use of "tomb blocks" to stuff 5-10 bodies into and then wall off, probably via cave-in door closure for finality's sake.  Or just a door tied to a lever, so that I can selectively open tombs and allow raising!  Rise my dwarves, your fortress has need of you once more!

I plan to impale enemies on spikes outside, and see if a raised impaled skeleton will remain stuck and wiggling on the spike.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:16:06 pm »

Toady has confirmed that necromancers will be capable of raising any corpse they have a line of sight to, including corpses in coffins.  For this reason, I'm debating the use of "tomb blocks" to stuff 5-10 bodies into and then wall off, probably via cave-in door closure for finality's sake.  Or just a door tied to a lever, so that I can selectively open tombs and allow raising!  Rise my dwarves, your fortress has need of you once more!

I plan to impale enemies on spikes outside, and see if a raised impaled skeleton will remain stuck and wiggling on the spike.

Necromancer collides with nicely smoothed floor.. at least 20+ zlevels below.
Bones everywhere, Necromancer is no more.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 10:16:33 pm »

I have a fractal graveyard template, it looks like this and can be joined seamlessly.

For sake of clarity, I have included a legend.

X = Coffin
S = Statue
O = Well
F = Food and drink stockpiles for mourner's "Snack Breaks"
A = Armor rack
W = Weapon rack

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 10:20:09 pm »

Personally I prefer making 3*3 cells made of metal or masterfully engraved rock, with the coffin in the centre and four statues of the same material as the walls. The material indicates the usefulness of the entombed dwarf to my fort, with gold/platinum, depending on whats available for the legendaries, steel for soldiers (if I have enough steel, if not then iron), copper for mundane utility dwarves, clay for the useless meat sacks and adamantium for those that did something incredible, like singlehandedly killing a siege or megabeast.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 10:27:24 pm »

^ Nice, but not an actual design.

I use morgue style crypts
Code: [Select]
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓C▓C▓C▓C▓C▓C▓C▓
+++++++++++++▓▓
+++++++++++++C▓
▓C▓C▓C▓C▓C▓++▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓C++C▓
▓C▓C▓C▓C▓C▓++▓▓
+++++++++++++C▓
+++++++++++++▓▓
▓C▓C▓C▓C▓C▓C▓C▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
This just being something I could whip up, it would normally be 5 halls wide, and 3 shifts long. But with that whole necromancer thing I might have to switch to less hall, more room styles... and this is just when I bother to make a crypt, I usually do just have a corpse stockpile and a handfull of coffins ready to be placed in case of FUN!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 10:33:52 pm »

I like it, i can imagine walking through the twisting halls, filled with the corpses of dwarves long past. Each with a story that will never be known. Neato

My burial chamber for Gorerape is just a massive dug out square that i can put sarcophagi in, each with their own statue to work as a fancy headstone. It will have small spaces in the walls to fit memorial slabs into, and has several long corridors coming off of it that lead to the tombs of particularly great dwarves.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 10:38:49 pm »

Sometimes I do make elaborate tombs for good dwarves.  Legendary armorsmiths, the militia captain who chopped off a goblin law giver's head, the baron who liked battle axes and copper...  I usually go egyptian, and make them a nice tomb somewhere special, put several expensive items inside like crowns and scepters and cloaks, maybe a few animals like war bears, and then seal the door with masonry once they're interred to the ground.

At least until we get proper viking burials.  I think that a dwarf would love to burn.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »

At least until we get proper viking burials.  I think that a dwarf would love to burn.

Hmm.. Goblins should have.. Pyramid-like tombs for their leaders/lawgivers.. Such as those Egyptian ones you mentioned..
Then as an adventurer you could raid one of those tombs (if it hasnt been that already) and risk getting some kind of curse..

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 10:44:00 pm »

Toady is already going to implement vanilla tombs, mummies, and curses in the next update.  It'll just be up to the player to make specific ones in fort mode.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4