Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: My newest graveyard design:  (Read 8125 times)

WishMyNameWasFunny

• Bay Watcher
  • Surely the taste of cat roasts is getting boring.
    • View Profile
Re: My newest graveyard design:
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 11:58:38 am »

Yup I jus fill the empty veins with coffins and leave them to it
Signature filter has detected a boring generic signature and has disabled this option for you.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 12:17:55 pm »

I generally have two or three different crypt designs, based on who goes where.

1 - Founder's Hall - A long wide hall with 7 chambers for each of my founding dwarves. Statues, carvings, and so forth everywhere. My founders go out in style. Last one I built, I even had a waterfall and pond in there, in the center of the hall.

2 - Military Halls - Regular military's graves. Champions get 3x3 chambers, engraved floors and walls, weapon and armor racks and statues in the corners. Rest go into Squad chambers, with all coffins dedicated to specific squad members that are non champions.

3 - Civilian/Nobles graves - A large chamber with several walls in the middle, with notches for coffins.

Those who make artifacts or otherwise are notable get 3x3 chambers, engraved but empty, in a smaller series of halls.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 12:18:36 pm »

I like it! What's so bad about empty space anyway? They're dwarves, they need to compensate for their small stature with big rooms.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 12:36:26 pm »

I generally do a narrowing arrow shaped room with rows of civilian coffins in the middle, notches in the walls for mildly important people, and something elaborate at the end that varies from fortress to fortress. My current fortress has a trapped platinum tomb at the end for the monarch if/when it becomes a mountainhome with a line of golden champion statues leading to it. Needless to say those champions are buried right beside their statues, protecting the path to the monarch. Other important people that really catch my attention get tombs far to the side of the path, with gem windows looking into the monarch's tomb.

It just seems boring to have a completely pre-set pattern. Sometimes I use catacombs, sometimes massive multi z-level halls, sometimes a corpse pile in the caverns with engrave slabs slapped around wherever they worked in life. Seems a good balance of cruelty and sentimentality
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 01:40:33 pm »

I always embark on a location with magnetite. Once I've excavated a magnetite cluster I smooth it and place a coffin on every tile next to a wall. Once my engraves are legendary I add one engraving behind each coffin. Nobles tomes are place in the middle of the cluster with engravings along there borders.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 01:56:48 pm »

Toady has confirmed that necromancers will be capable of raising any corpse they have a line of sight to, including corpses in coffins.  For this reason, I'm debating the use of "tomb blocks" to stuff 5-10 bodies into and then wall off, probably via cave-in door closure for finality's sake. 

Pfff, just put a ten-disc weapon trap at the exit. If those zombies want to do anything it'll be in the shape of giblets.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 02:14:01 pm »

I usually cremate my dead dwarves, and instead my massive entrance hallway is lined with slabs memorializing every dwarf who has passed. Kind of a "Hall of Honor".

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 02:33:10 pm »

I usually cremate my dead dwarves, and instead my massive entrance hallway is lined with slabs memorializing every dwarf who has passed. Kind of a "Hall of Honor".

That isn't a bad idea for anti-necromancering, actually. Do you use fire, or just dump the corpses into magma?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 03:11:41 pm »

I generally make a massive 41X41 or 61X61 room, with my 3X3 staircase going down the middle.  I then channel out 3 rows of tiles around the stairway (with one row in between the gap and the stairway, to place raising bridges) and then I place the coffins every other space, with the exception of 3 wide "roads" going out in the cardinal directions, and the coffin spaces adjacent to it have statues instead.

For noble and soldiers/legendary dwarves useless people that demand tombs or important dwarves, they get large room off of the main room.

That Guy Over There

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 03:31:22 pm »

I've been thinking of burying my dwarves 1-z level below the actual catacombs themselves with their coffins being covered by hatches

So something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This way if they are brought back as zombies or skeletons they can't escape because of the hatch.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 03:40:38 pm »

Considering I slab and cremate most of my dwarves, the zombie thing will be fairly irrelevant to me.

However, I may now start making slabs and mass graves (Dumping Pit with a bridge), for when necromancers show up.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 04:26:47 pm »

I've been thinking of burying my dwarves 1-z level below the actual catacombs themselves with their coffins being covered by hatches

So something like this:

This way if they are brought back as zombies or skeletons they can't escape because of the hatch.

That's actually what i was thinking for my next fort, except i plan to permanently close it off with a floor piece, maybe put a statue or slab next to it(since i don't think i can build them directly on it).

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 05:07:21 pm »

What I do is dig a 1x REAAAAALLY long hallway.  Dwarves won't be taking this walk often (I hope) so it's unnecessary to make it pathing efficient.  On either side of the hallway, I dig 1x1 rooms (1x2 if you count the space for the door).  Coffin goes on that square, door separates it from the hall.  All dwarves are assigned a coffin from birth/migration if possible.  If necessary, I dig another paralell hallway with space for its associated tombs, and another, and another -- enough so I have as many graves as I have commoners, plus space to bury pets if someone gets upset about it (or the miasma), and room for population growth to get assigned tombs IMMEDIATELY.  The crypts basically take up an entire z-level for advanced forts, with bigger tombs for dwarves of some distinction and the eternal cage prisons of goblin snatchers, walled up in living stone there to remain for all eternity (or, it used to have that until I learned you can pretty much safely mass-pit snatchers like everything else).  The entire thing is also the first part of the fort to get smoothed and engraved, since it's huge, nice to smooth/engrave, and non-vital: perfect for training the engravers. 

With necromancers upcoming I can just lock the doors of any filled tombs, sealing the dead in their eternal rest... unless necromancers can open locked doors, at which point harsher methods may be required.  I started caring powerfully for the fate of the dead when I lost a fortress to delayed-action tantrum spiral.  They came out of the losses from the ambush sad but sane and non-tantruming, but when their friends started ROTTING in the above-ground corpse stockpile, things got real ugly real fast.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 05:26:27 pm »

I build many more slabs than coffins because most of my recent dwarven deaths have been due to
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 05:36:34 pm »

Most of my graveyards are above ground n=slab +=floor O=coffin
      n
Z-1 +
Z-2 O
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4