Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast appered pre-roughed up?  (Read 936 times)

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
Forgotten Beast appered pre-roughed up?
« on: October 12, 2011, 07:25:56 pm »

So it appeared and it seems to have almost every bone broken or dented and everything seemingly has scars? What the hell happened?! Only thing I can think is there was a forgotten beast in the same cavern that was made of flames, but flames don't break bones o.o
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast appered pre-roughed up?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 07:28:03 pm »

idk proboly was another FB or it fought some of the local wildlife before it appered on the visble map.
eather way it should be easy to kill now.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 07:36:08 pm »

Probably happened during world gen.  I read that megabeasts can be injured during world gen but can only be killed by other megabeasts.  Once they spawn on your map then the injuries take effect.

It probably got roughed up by some dwarves and such in world gen, but was never killed by any other megabeast.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 07:38:55 pm »

I can understand a FB showing up with scars, since the game actually creates the FBs during worldgen and creates a history of them getting into various fights, so having scars from hundreds of years of combat makes sense. But I'm surprised that it would still have fresh wounds when it shows up. You might want to check in Legends mode and see when the last time this particular FB fought something before your fort was founded. Maybe it had just fought something and hadn't had time to heal up.

ninja'd by Telgin
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 07:54:34 pm »

It happened more in older versions, where the special creatures couldn't be killed, or something, but would fight.  You'd have 2 titans in worldgen fight to the death, but not die because the injuries didn't count.  Then they'd step onto a fortress map and suddenly collapse in a shower of blood.

This has been all-but solved in newer versions, I've never seen an injured creature arrive on the map.  But then, FB will fight animal-people in the caverns, and that's perfectly legit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:57:40 pm »

Probably happened during world gen.  I read that megabeasts can be injured during world gen but can only be killed by other megabeasts.  Once they spawn on your map then the injuries take effect.

It probably got roughed up by some dwarves and such in world gen, but was never killed by any other megabeast.

Non-megabeasts can kill megabeasts during worldgen.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 08:06:50 pm »

I looked againa nd the beast isn't in the same cavern as the other one - so it can't have fought that one! I think the wounds are all old to be honest.

everything has scars on, there's no bleeding or anything like that, but there are a lot of dented/fractured as well as a few broken bones, so it looks like all the surface stuff has healed.

I didn't know they could show up like this though, learn something new everyday :D

Also I had another F'Beast show up that had secretions and it just sat in a bit of water festering (so its secretions are all over that little bit), i managed to kill it with marksdwarves from above, but will that stuff ever go away? I would have tried DFclean, but my anti-virus wouldn't let me keep it, everytime i told it to leave it it deleted it :'( wah

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 08:20:51 pm »

I had two show up like that, and then the third showed up unhurt with my "Deceased list showing an entire tribe of Snakepeople =D
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 10:03:05 pm »

ive just embarked on a new volcano site that has a night creature lair...the critter is already messed up, everything except its upper body is yellow, its head is brown and there's some reds thrown in there. however its z-screen shows no actually injuries...wierd.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 10:19:20 pm »

Result of falling damage or perhaps nearby cave-in fall-out upon map creation?
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 10:28:08 pm »

Old wounds heal and don't show as injuries anymore.  Check the description for scars, if any.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 09:38:06 am »

Also I had another F'Beast show up that had secretions and it just sat in a bit of water festering (so its secretions are all over that little bit), i managed to kill it with marksdwarves from above, but will that stuff ever go away? I would have tried DFclean, but my anti-virus wouldn't let me keep it, everytime i told it to leave it it deleted it :'( wah
Never tried it, but perhaps you could drop a wall of natural rock into the tainted areas. The water will teleport up until it finds an empty tile to reappear in, but I think the contaminant will stay where it is.

What AV are you using?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 10:51:14 am »

I had a Titan show up missing an eye, but it had three other eyes...so it seemed ok.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 04:10:24 pm »

I'm using kaspersky - it seems to have deleted them out of existence, which is SO totally cool. I had a bit of a look on google but i couldn't really find anything useful, probs wasn't searching for the right thing though