Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Largest number of Fortresses in one world?  (Read 5237 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Largest number of Fortresses in one world?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 03:41:27 pm »

You might want to check my new math. It's now possible to do, but with time for basic necessities added in you would probably be close to pushing the current human lifespan.
Life has new meaning.

I vote for a bill to be passed that everyone must do this for the increased of wisdom and computer knowledge of the youth. All in favor say "Aye"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 03:44:32 pm »

Aye!

It's like military service, only with more clicking and eye/muscle strain! :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 03:44:48 pm »

Aye!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 03:50:46 pm »

Wonder how hard it would be to design a macro program that would cycle through embark locations...  Theoretically not hard, since you're just passing keystroke numbers.  The hard part would be making a counter to systematically run through every tile in sequence.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 03:59:34 pm »

I'm not sure you got your math right there.  A pocket world is 17x17, and each of those world tiles contains 16x16 embark tiles.  A massive world should be 257x257 and then 16x16, you added another 16x16 in there that didn't belong.

Fun fact: An embark tile is 48x48.  A world tile is 16x16 embark tiles.  A maximum size world is 257x257 world tiles.  That's 2,304 unit tiles per embark tiles.  589,824 unit tiles per world tiles.  38,957,285,376 unit tiles in a maximum size world.  The longest straight path would be 197,376 tiles long.  At average speed of 9.5 ticks per tiles, for your average dwarf, it would take 1,875,072 ticks to cross the distance.  In fortress mode, a day is 1,200 ticks, so it would take 4.3-ish years of non-stop walking to cross the world.  I can't find the exact length of a day in adventure mode right now, but I know that it's over 10x longer than a fort mode day.

To take this further, the circumference of the Earth is approximately 40030.2 km.  If we take the average DF unit tile to be a cube 3m on a side, this means that it would take 13343400 unit tiles to stretch around the equator.  At the aforementioned speed of 9.5 ticks/tile, a fortress dwarf could walk the equator (without stopping, ever) in 126,762,300 ticks, or almost 290 years.  A human with a walking speed of 5km/hr could walk the same distance (again, without ever stopping) in about 22 years.

The surface area of all the land on Earth totals around 148,940,000 km2.  Again, assuming that a DF tile is 9 m2, it would take 1,654,900,000,000 DF tiles to cover all of Earth's land.  If 40% of this is hospitable, then that leaves a total of 661,960,000,000 DF unit tiles that can sustain a fortress.  This means that, at maximum, there could be 718,267,747 2x2 fortresses on Earth.  Dividing the current human population of Earth between all these fortresses would leave each fortress with fewer than ten people.

Going the other way yields even more interesting results.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:25:00 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 04:23:05 pm »

New York City has an area of around 1,214,400,000 sq. meters, or 134,933,333 unit tiles.  The equivalent embark size would then be 242x242.  The population of New York City is around 8.2 million.  That means that, if NYC were a fortress, each person would have about 16.5 tiles to him/herself (not counting vertical space).  In an ordinary 4x4 embark with 200 dwarves, each dwarf has around 184 tiles (again, not counting vertical space).
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 04:49:34 pm »

Each dwarf has 1 tile to themselves.  Part time.  The communal bed that they share in the dorms.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 05:18:17 pm »

Don't be silly. you haven't accounted for married couples OR mothers and their infant(s). That makes the number of dwarves who get the bed to themselves even lower.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 05:21:02 pm »

Don't be silly. you haven't accounted for married couples OR mothers and their infant(s). That makes the number of dwarves who get the bed to themselves even lower.
Better yet, why have beds? Have them all sleep in a 1x1 pit!

Space efficient, and dorfy!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 05:23:22 pm »

Wouldn't that just cause more births? I mean if they reproduce by spores and we have a pit of orgying dorfs. The womenfolk will all get pregnant to multiple men! like cats! and the men would come out covered in manspores..
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 05:24:36 pm »

Wouldn't that just cause more births? I mean if they reproduce by spores and we have a pit of orgying dorfs. The womenfolk will all get pregnant to multiple men! like cats! and the men would come out covered in manspores..
Ah, but it be even MORE space efficient the more dorfs there are!

MAXIMUM BEARD DENSITY

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 05:35:09 pm »

Quantum Beard Singularity: The point at which your population is so dense and so inbred that your population growth reaches infinite and the world is -instantly- covered in baby dwarves.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 05:37:28 pm »

Quantum Beard Singularity: The point at which your population is so dense and so inbred that your population growth reaches infinite and the world is -instantly- covered in baby dwarves.

And they all look like this.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 05:37:43 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgBZ_SnAuk4

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 06:07:52 pm »

That was actually a pretty funny story.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3