Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ashen Empires  (Read 1557 times)

Tellah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Ashen Empires
« on: October 12, 2011, 02:14:32 pm »

I searched for a while to find a MMORPG that would meet my picky gaming needs, but I've found it. It kind of looks like UO but without the horrible 45° iso view. This game is very in depth with a huge world. It has a PVE and a Restricted PVP server. The community is also friendly and helpful.

Edit: Don't forget to turn on the music. The great music is off by default for some reason. Press Esc to get to settings.

http://www.ashenempires.com/Screenshots.aspx
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:19:32 pm by Tellah »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Ashen Empires
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 02:20:53 pm »

Escaped Lunatic posting a game thread.

inb4 "LOLURSPAMBOT" rage  :P

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 02:36:39 pm »

I played this for awhile years ago. Surprised it still exists, looks like it's gone through quite a few changes. It was fun but didn't really jive for me, I never really got into the whole ultima thing and it was a tad grindy for my taste.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:26:14 pm »

I searched for a while to find a MMORPG that would meet my picky gaming needs, but I've found it. It kind of looks like UO but without the horrible 45° iso view. This game is very in depth with a huge world. It has a PVE and a Restricted PVP server. The community is also friendly and helpful.

Edit: Don't forget to turn on the music. The great music is off by default for some reason. Press Esc to get to settings.

http://www.ashenempires.com/Screenshots.aspx

What is the game like? How is this game different from the million other MMOs out there? Beyond a better viewing angle than UO and great music, what makes it fun for you and why do you think other people on the forum would enjoy it?

At this point all I know is that you namedropped UO, but Ashen Empires does not have UO's main selling point that endeared it to the playerbase: Unrestricted PVP.

(Also, I'm not flaming you. I am legitimately curious about the game, but don't know anything about its gameplay. I was unimpressed by a quick once over of their website, but I know better than to dismiss a game based on a website that potentially hasn't been updated in years.)
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 07:52:08 pm »

Ah yeah, I played this game back when it was under a different name (dransik maybe?).

It was a good game, and some servers did have unrestricted pvp so it was cool in that regard, just had to be careful of town guards

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 12:14:42 am »

Escaped Lunatic posting a game thread.

inb4 "LOLURSPAMBOT" rage  :P
Sleeper cell spambots who post about other games! They're getting so complex!  :P

Anyway; this looks like a more Roguelike-ish Diablo, in that while you're able to kill things, get loot and choose your own stats, there's a bit more depth to it in general. Also seems to have some MMORPG influence (looking at the screenshot of the raid group) so I'm assuming its been around long enough to have a little bit for everyone.

May have to look into this, if I get the time.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 02:42:33 am »

Ah yeah, I played this game back when it was under a different name (dransik maybe?).

It was a good game, and some servers did have unrestricted pvp so it was cool in that regard, just had to be careful of town guards
Me too, it was pretty fun for a while but became pretty grindy later. Like most other mmo's I guess.  :P
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 02:57:15 am »

Me too, it was pretty fun for a while but became pretty grindy later. Like most other mmo's I guess.  :P
I wish MMOs didn't end up feeling like ridiculous time sinks. Loot treadmills are a big reason why I never play typical MMOs unless my wife demands it, but she hasn't in months (thank you, dear).

Many of them do start out pretty fun, though. Then the grind really gets in your face and ruins it (unless you like grinds).

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 03:19:51 am »

I wish MMOs didn't end up feeling like ridiculous time sinks. Loot treadmills are a big reason why I never play typical MMOs unless my wife demands it, but she hasn't in months (thank you, dear).

Many of them do start out pretty fun, though. Then the grind really gets in your face and ruins it (unless you like grinds).
True that, probably the reason why I haven't played any in quite some time now. That and the fact that my internet connection have been acting more funky than usual. . .
Still, I wonder how hard it would be to make a MMO with much less grindy stuff than usual. Maybe it just wouldn't work (maybe the effort isn't worth it)? At least it keeps people busy.  ;D
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 08:44:52 pm »

Well, the point in a grind is to keep people busy long enough to roll out new content. Check Blizzard; they're not able to keep up with how quickly people mow through it, so they added arbitrary difficulty level hardmodes to their raids. It's just a matter of keeping people in the cycle long enough to get new stuff out. Removing one aspect of a grind means they have to rebalance it somewhere else.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 01:00:13 am »

Well, the point in a grind is to keep people busy long enough to roll out new content. Check Blizzard; they're not able to keep up with how quickly people mow through it, so they added arbitrary difficulty level hardmodes to their raids. It's just a matter of keeping people in the cycle long enough to get new stuff out. Removing one aspect of a grind means they have to rebalance it somewhere else.

I think thats what the devs nowadays use the strategy of adding grind to the games, but thats not how it started out from my perspective, back in the days of yore, the muds of old and the early days of asherons call, everquest and other games of that ilk.

Theres lots of reasons to have the game be grindy, but the main reason from my perspective is that some people will grind and grind so much as to hit max quickly. If this process is too short, then anyone can e it fast and you wont have an elite set of players who are more powerful than the newbies. This dynamic is key to players feeling like their work is worth something, if anyone can get it without much effort, then what is it really worth?

The only way I have ever seen an MMORPG have no real grind is on Roleplay type game worlds where killing mosters doesnt even gain you xp, or perhaps limited gain, and level caps are so low that all players are sort of equal to some degree. This is what we see on some of the best persistent worlds in Neverwinter Nights. You actually experience the world instead of fly through the quests as fast as you can to get at the carrot on the stick. Thing is, these persistent worls usually have about 30 players on at once, not hundreds or thousands. There are also usually DMs or GMs around who are crafting quests and possesing the NPCs to help the world breathe a bit.

For me, that what the dream of playing an MMORPG was for me when i first started way back when. I was never that, it was the grind. But I always wished the world felt alive and my actions mattered. Can that work on a large scale? I dont see why not, but nobody has done it. WoW rakes in millions, other games also do well. Surely, some of that money could go toward hiring talented story tellers to breathe life into the world. Imagine having the job of animating NPCs and throwing interesting twists and encounters at the players, weaving plots that the outcomes actually changed the shape of the world. Would be a fun job. I myself would pay more than the going $15/month for a well done version of that game.

I got nothing