Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: The final frontier...  (Read 11333 times)

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The final frontier...
« on: October 12, 2011, 09:25:46 am »

I was recently watching James May's documentary "James May on the Moon", and also watching some old Apollo 11 launch footage (both on youtube), and it made me quite sad that the space program is now just limited to the ISS...

When are we going back to the moon?
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The final frontier...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:31:17 am »

Probably when someone finds something profitable on it.  Like super duper moon metaladamantine or something.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:45:54 am »

Or when we have the technology (and money) to colonize it.
Then again, it will be quite dificult for anyone to claim rights to it..
..Maybe if every nation (or combined nations such as Europe) each had an equal share of it?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:49:14 am by Ultimuh »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:04:00 am »

How would that work? Countries like Liechtenstein and Moldova would have an equal share to the United States? The latter two don't even have politicians that dream of a space agency...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:05:45 am »

Or when we have the technology (and money) to colonize it.
Then again, it will be quite dificult for anyone to claim rights to it..
..Maybe if every nation (or combined nations such as Europe) each had an equal share of it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty
As per current international law, no one may lay claim to space, with the exception being structures/bases/devices operated/constructed by a nation or its citizens. So you can build a moon base and no one else can deny you that right, but you also can not lay claim to any minerals/land and by extension deny other nations of it. Taking some resources for survival/construction in space would probably not be too bad if it was relatively minor, but any real economic boon from it would have to go through a shitstorm before it would be approved; assuming it would be approved at all.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:06:49 am »

How would that work? Countries like Liechtenstein and Moldova would have an equal share to the United States? The latter two don't even have politicians that dream of a space agency...

Major nation (or combined nations) then?

fake edit: And I noticed I got Ninja'd..

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:15:36 am »

There are some very promising proposals for asteroid capture.  I think that potentially this could make space exploration fantastically profitable.

1 asteroid (small) + 1 comet (v. small) + money = 1 O'Neil Cylinder
1 O'Neil Cylinder + time = but loads of money and more O'Neil Cylinders
Lots of O'Neil Cylinders + more time = technological singularity
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 11:31:02 am »

We have much bigger problems right now. I am very much pro space exploration. But we have to do something about our economy and social problems first.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 11:39:27 am »

Please tell me that was intentional, because it made me laugh so hard I nearly fell off of my chair.

On the topic of space travel: Yeah, not until there is profit in it. And by the time we really need to expand into space, we'll be out of the resources we need to do it, barring sudden discovery of unobtainium that can be used as a strong hull material, in electronic components, and as fuel.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 12:20:46 pm »

the space program is now just limited to the ISS...
You mean of course the US space program, right? Because the Chinese have just launched the first part of their future space station and have plans for both Moon and Mars exploration.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 12:35:55 pm »

We have much bigger problems right now. I am very much pro space exploration. But we have to do something about our economy and social problems first.
If we'd always have focused on fixing our immediate problems instead of looking ahead, we wouldn't have computers now.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 12:38:17 pm »

the space program is now just limited to the ISS...
You mean of course the US space program, right? Because the Chinese have just launched the first part of their future space station and have plans for both Moon and Mars exploration.

Joke's on them.  We already went there, and you know what we found?  Nothing.  Lung-destroying dust, evil space crabs, and a whole shitload of nothing.  China can have it as far as I'm concerned.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 01:01:40 pm »

Oh, come on Aqizzar. We all know that the US of A never went to the Moon! Haven't you seen the plethora of conclusive analyses disproving the so called "evidence", done by people with no working knowledge of physics, technology and logistics involved? It makes so much more sense than any feeble attempts of various government-sponsored people with fancy degrees at maintaining the hoax. Really, I never took you for such a sheeple.
Besides, if there were really only rocks and dust on the Moon, then why would the Chinese want to spend millions to go there?
I bet they'll find some oil.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 01:03:42 pm »

I wouldn't rule out a chinese landing on the moon, but I severely doubt that they'd actually go to mars before the political will disappears.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 01:13:34 pm »

Bah, time to learn Chinese.  I'd happily work for a space program, if they'd take me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11