Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Last Stand - Union City  (Read 1818 times)

megaloptus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Last Stand - Union City
« on: October 12, 2011, 02:25:57 am »

I'm pretty sure at least half of you have come across this amazing, complex flash game. In my opinion, this is one of the best flash games I have ever played. To me, it felt like 2D Fallout 3, with zombies. The ability to have companions, many types of clothing, varied weapons, and the need for food and sleep makes me sad and itching for the same experience at a larger scale.

The only thing missing is the option for multiple starting points. When picking the police officer background, I expect to start out with my partner as a companion with a pistol and cop uniform. Picking the military as a background, you should start with the standard issue BDU with an assault rifle, with the option to start as a soldier who was separated and forced to fend for himself, or part of a rifle squad defending a barricade. Anyways, you get the point, I'm just rambling on with my fantasies by now. Enjoy!

http://armorgames.com/play/12009/the-last-stand-union-city

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Stand - Union City
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:03:58 am »

ohh nice, ive played the earlier last stands and they are rather nifty. for those who would be interested rebuild 2 is out now as well (turn based rebuild city/society after the zombie outbreak, flash, simple and fun)
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:09:07 am »

I remember this, we barely made it because I wanted to have some fun with the zombies.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:37:33 pm »

Pretty fun game!

I ran into some lag spikes, though, sort of drained fun at points.

I pretty much concur with your points-there's alot of places they could go with this.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 01:04:40 pm »

This is a decent flash game.

My only complaint is the running enemies that immediately attack you when you enter a room. It wouldn't be so bad if they waited until the screen stopped fading in.

Other than that, it still scares the heck out of me whenever...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I lost one of my companions to that. I miss my damage sponge...
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 03:16:14 pm »

Played this on Kongregate- decent, but I was kind of disappointed, especially by how easy it was (on Survival mode, yet, and having pretty much totally fucked my starting stats (mistakenly dumping several of my starting skill and attribute points in stuff that ended up being worthless, making STR my dump stat, etc))  :-\

Spoiler: rant (click to show/hide)

I'd be willing to try the game again if it's been updated (and I don't mean new weapons and areas, i mean fixing things), but I can't help but feel that it was rushed.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:29:32 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 01:26:32 am »

I tended to sleep more in the game, mostly to get the time out of night which I found way too dark to work with without jacking the contrast on my monitor sky-high. Melee being far better then ranged at all points was my big problem with the game as well. Even against the few ranged opponents, it was easy to get into their face and melee them down.

On the companions, I think the maker admitted that they didn't turn out the way he wanted, which is why there were only two basic ones available. Basically, an incomplete feature that lingered in the game.