Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most anticlimactic battle.  (Read 3186 times)

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most anticlimactic battle.
« on: October 11, 2011, 02:47:49 pm »

So I finish training my adventurer in thrower and ambusher, and stumble across a shrine. I sneak in and am confronted by a hill titan (A gigantic eyeless cavy. It has a stubby tail and it moves about carelessly. Its dark chestnut hair is unkempt. Beware its fire!). The hill titan make no move to attack me, and I pelt him to death with the prepared fat of a nearby defeated dwarf.

What initially formidable creature have you beat handily?

....On a sidenote, 'You strike The Hill Titan in the head with you Enina Hairysprays's hill titan blood bruising the fat!' I meleed him with his own blood.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:55:28 pm by JDF117 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Most anticlimactic battle.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:53:48 pm »

I killed a Dinosaur type Earth Titan (Which I think means it's even bigger then the normal dinosaur) with a single good blow from my Rapier. Then again, that particular Rapier seems weirdly destructive, slipping easily through more powerful armor and deftly leaving tiny holes in the foreheads of unsuspecting bandits.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:45:27 pm »

A night creature. I bisected it in seconds

"I am blablabla the wife of the random yet annoying night creature!"

"Oh my god! It's going to kill me!"

*slash*

"FOOL! DO YOU KNOW WHAT I AM? *blade connects with her lower body* X_X"

"Well, that was anticlimactic."
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:16:01 pm »

I once struggled hard fighting some über night-creature or other, being beaten within an inch of my life when my peasant companions catch up. I only ever used them as distractions during bandit fights and such, and tended to rotate through dozens of the buggers after every battle.

And then this one guy runs in with a copper boning knife, stabs the nightmother (or whatever) in the head, killing it instantly. I like to imagine he looked down at me, beaten bloody on the ground, and just gave me a look like "Seriously?".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:43:46 pm »

Had an elf, trained to be a legendary bow/swordself. I lived as a hero, defeated tons of bandits and night monsters and then I got the quest to kill the hill titan. The only hill titan that survived ~200 years out of 3 powers.

Well, I arrived at the shrine and saw it, decided to fire a crippling shot and then finish it off with my blade bow.

The flying spellwood singing arrow hits the -hill titan- in the head and it sails off in an arc!

It had about 38 kills. Made of ash...

~~~
And on the good side, I discovered certain other colors like sky blue and light blue and such.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:46:29 pm »

Probably not *as* anticlimactic as most... but:

That was hilarious. Oneshotted a guy with a corpse, was only Dabbling at Misc. Objects at the time. :D
Desi VI went on to become a renowned hero until her lower legs were crippled by a goblin ambush. D:

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:45:34 pm »

I recently cut a midnight man (night creature) in two by throwing a copper boning knife...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:48:02 pm by JDF117 »

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:51:24 pm »

Man were is that guy who killed a BC with a fluffy whambler >_>
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:49:55 am »

Considering that the wambler incident wasn't the entire fight, as well as the fact that the killing blow was more interesting than the vast majority of other possible outcomes, I'd say it wasn't anticlimactic in the least.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 08:57:49 pm »

More like fluffy WHAMbler, amirite?  Oh, wait...
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 02:20:16 am »

Well it was in fortress mode, but my OP hammer dwarf spent several minutes standing still dodging bolts from about 10-15 goblins, then somehow got stabbed in the head the moment she engaged a single  goblin in melee. This is despite her taking out things single handed easily prior  to this. Oh random combat fatalities, how I loathe you.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 05:24:43 am »

A night creature. I bisected it in seconds

"I am blablabla the wife of the random yet annoying night creature!"

"Oh my god! It's going to kill me!"

*slash*

"FOOL! DO YOU KNOW WHAT I AM? *blade connects with her lower body* X_X"

"Well, that was anticlimactic."

too bad that WAS 90% of my night creature encounters, i grab them by the upper body with my lft hand and swing my steel longsword at them and they fly apart like some small harmless animal.

now i grab them by the upper body and swing at the head and decap them almost every time.
its nice for my head collection.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:31:03 am by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 06:59:17 am »

You charge at the Giant Bat!
You rush past the Giant Bat!
The Giant Bat counterstrikes!
The Giant Bat misses you!
The Giant Bat has died of old age.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 03:40:17 pm »

huh.

I didn't know that animals could die of old age. :o

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 10:07:32 pm »

Anything that doesn't have a [MAXAGE:x:y] tag does, and most creatures have an age limit set. Elves and Goblins are notable exceptions.

My worst was still getting eaten by that gopher. I mean come on, biting my groin for instant KO and spending 5 hours slowly eating me while I lay unconscious? Took like 10 minutes of just sitting there waiting for her to finally die.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: [1] 2