Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Lastrags - A Succession Game  (Read 10767 times)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
Re: Lastrags - A Succession Game
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2011, 04:47:21 pm »

More migrants arrived some days later, and a special event was let known.

Athra stood in front of the crowd.

“I cannot stand to see our brethren die as they have this day. And the reason for such a tragedy lies solely on me. I lost a friend. I plan on avenging that friend. We must move, full force, in the completion of the slaughter theater. There, I will have my revenge. There I will be tested by the Gods. If I survive, I will run out the rest of my year. If not. . . . . .” Athra could not bear to think about what it would mean if he lost this fight.

“If I were to fail, a replacement has been chosen already. He will make himself known then. Zaneg, will you do the honors of pulling the leavers?” Only silence answered him. They held a short search, but Zaneg was nowhere to be found. Instead of allowing that to be a setback, Athra continued on with his speech.

“I will carry in the object that gave me this plan. Our newest artifact,” He held out a long pause as one of Zaneg’s soldiers brought him the item.

“Cherishquiet, the yak and polar bear bone buckler. I will also be wearing a full set of armor and a spear from one of the goblins that killed our brethren.” With that, he took his leave once more. Silence fell over the crowd as they departed. They knew what had happened. The poor lad had gone insane.

Athra prepared every day for the fight. That was, until the 8th of Sandstone. There was a rushing sound, and then a scream. Athra ran out of his private training room to see what all the commotion was about and was greeted by Vulo. It looked like the picture he had found on his bed so many years ago. A giant feathered crab and winged crab. The only difference was that the picture showed it to be fat and grotesquely blotted, while this one had not an inch of fat on it. Though Aban and Goden were attacking it, it seemed to focus on Solon, their clothier.

“Stop you foal beast!” He screamed in the most heroic voice he could muster. He jabbed at its leg twice from behind and cut through only once. The second time it glanced of its shiny shell. It screamed and blew out a large puff of fire as it turned, all the kicking the Clothier in the head. There was a sickening crack with each blow it gave, but Athra and the others attacked undeterred. The creature turned again, only to have its wing meet a steel axe. The beast roared at its welder and covered the Militia Captain in a stream of heat and flame. One of the other axedwarves bellowed back his own roar of anger as he showered the offender with chop after unending chop, each hitting a soft spot and tearing away at its meat. All Athra could do was stare in amazement as the three continued in their furry. One of Vulo’s pincers suddenly went slack after a scratch from an axe left caused it armor to pop inwards.

‘No, this was not how it should be.’ Athra thought as he shook his head. He ran in and stabbed it in the leg, leaving a large hole in its wake. Before Vulo could react, he rolled under it and stabbed at another. Then again. Then a roll. Then three more stabs. Then it kicked at him, but he was ready and blocked it with the poll of his spear. It stumbled back and left its self wide open. Athra and the others attacked at once, but it stumbled too far for the Overseers jab.

The battle went on for another thirty minutes until Athra managed to climb on top of its shell and, in an effort to keep from falling off, bit into its eye stalk. It shook and shook as the others cut into its wings and legs. Without warning, the grip of his teeth waned, causing him to let go. He flew into some stalked furniture. Vulo ran after him, furious of such a wound and jammed his foot into Athra’s nose. As it opened its mouth, he could see the light of the flame rise from the back of its throat. All Athra could do was close his eyes and hope that his spear would strike true.

Time slowed as an eternity ticked by. The heat of its breath felt more like warm liquid. Athra hesitantly opened his eyes to see Vulo shish kabobed on his spear and fainted.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2011, 06:39:30 pm »

He woke up two days later, feeling better than he ever had before. But time was closing in and he had to train hard, or he would be made a fool of for the last time in his life. He left out of his bed to be greeted by many new faces.
“Word spreads fast of your amazing skill. We hope the Gods will be with you on your day of trial.”
“Thank. . . . you?” he replied with a bit of confusion. They all dispersed and revealed Zaneg holding a leather, bone, and steel buckler.
“For you.” He said as he handed him the item and walked off with the crowd. Still confused, he went off to train.

“Late Autumn at last.” said Athra as he got up from his bed. The arena was ready since the day before, and decided to take the time to get to know his enemy. Though it was only filth, it too had a life. At least Its name deserved to be know.

Who are you? He asked form what little kindness he could form for the vile thing.

“Utes,” It spat out.

“I have killed many of you, and I will gladly ad you to the list of dead before I meet my own.”

Athra gave it no more time to speak.

“Spear!” He cried out. He was done with threats. He was done with kindness. From now on, he wanted this things name on a slab in his death chamber. Within seconds, his spear was brought to him, and word that a caravan from the mountain home was here.
“You won’t get off with your idle threats Utes.” Echoed Athra’s voice as he went up the stairwell.
‘Tomorrow.’ He thought.

The next day came and fanfare was played. A slab stood ready for the loser, and three dwarves manned the levers. Every Dwarf packed into the Slaughter Theater waiting for it to see first blood. Athra was standing right in front of the cage. Silent.
And then the ambush horn was sounded.

Every military Dwarf ran out. It was over quickly. The goblins were routed, but the body of Athra was found not too far from the entrance. It was a pin cushion of unrecognizable gibbs, flesh, and blood.

The dwarves gathered some of his things from his room. Stone tablets. A strange rock covered in crystals. A map of what the fortress looked like. Under his bed, there was a note.

To the next Overseer
I will not live tomorrow to keep my promise, that I already know. The Gods forsook me the moment I stopped calling for their aid. The moment I started using that rock, my fate was sealed. Cast it away from this place so that no other may error as I have. If you do not do so, and choose to use it yourself, know that, when it shows you your future instead of your past, it will show you dead.
Along with that note was a diagram of how the three levers near the Theater worked. The farthest one to the left controls the doors, the middle if for the goblins and is to be hooked up to only one at a time, and the last one was a safety measure in case he would have failed.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

dwarf -lover-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2011, 01:43:45 am »

The current playlist reads:

Year 1 : Shark
Year 2 : dwarf -lover-
Year 3 :LoneTophat (Me) Skipped
Year 3 : cappstv Skipped
Year 3 : Paulus Fahlstrom
Year 4 : zomara0292
Year 5 : kytuzian
Year 6 : Ezk1
Year 7 : Shiio
Year 8 : Hannibal Barcalounger
Year 9 : Empty
Year 10 : Vahir

Currently it is kytuzian's turn, and I look forward to seeing his journal.

Here is the save in case anyone wanted to take a look at the fort.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5146

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2011, 05:40:40 am »

I'm going to be traveling from Tuesday night to Sunday night, so if my turn doesn't come up in the next 12 hours or so, I think the timing will be bad. If I'm gone and you want to bump someone else into my slot, that's fine with me.
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2011, 07:30:29 am »

Fool, that Athra, thought Oli'c Sd'fa. Though indeed, he has left me in charge!

Just a day before, Athra had died, and it was a sad day for most of the fort. Except Oli'c, who had been more than happy to take over.

After quickly looking through the notes left for him, and then the map, Oli'c would need a plan. Unfortenately, the wall passed right over sections of the fort, so a channelled moat was out of the question. For now. Instead,
he would filled up all the space in the gate with traps, and then lock inside the entire fortress, opening only for migrants and traders.

Just then, Oli'c noticed the traders at the depot. "Bring in all the prepared food!" he commanded. "Not those you bumbling idiots, elves don't take wood!"

"Let's see whatever other useless crap we have in here..."

Why in Armok's name do we have five anvils? And those gems..., thought Oli'c. So little is there here, we don't even have enough useless goods.

"I said no outside jobs! I forbid you to get anything that is outside. These walls are our life now!" yelled Oli'c in expasperation. "Now to the workers."

He let out a loud sigh, seeing the workers were in disarray and unplanned.

Later, a dwarf, who Oli'c cared not to learn his name, told him that Inod Orammafol had begun his project.

"Guess what?"

"What?"

"I don't care, get out!"

Why is everyone a mason, wondered Oli'c. We are walled up, and nothing can get to us. Our people don't need any of this!

"You! Move that leather stockpile away from the kennel, and move it to the tanner, or leatherworks if this forsaken place even has one! Put an animal stockpile there!"
"Miner, you are now a dedicated miner, and shall do nothing but. Begin the creation of a new city, farther underground, so I can redo this place."
"Get the damn stone stockpile out from underground! We can't efficiently use it there."

"Bloody hell, why do I care if Inod make a damn Acacia ring?"

"Trade for all their food, alcohol, and steel! What do you think we need?"

Early Winter:

"Move the refuse pile to the butchers! I don't think that the craftsdwarves appreciate the miasma," he yelled loudly. "And put the stone stockpile there, I want as many rock pots as we can get, because we are soon to seal
off the outside even more, and we shalln't be able to collect any food. Get me another miner, I want a channel dug to expand our fortress."

Needless to say, few were enjoying his rule, but they would soon see. All this helped the defenses, and the fort, and the nation!

Mid-Winter:

"I want a wall erected by the end of spring next year. If its not, someone going to die!"

dwarf -lover-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2011, 04:02:20 pm »

I'm going to be traveling from Tuesday night to Sunday night, so if my turn doesn't come up in the next 12 hours or so, I think the timing will be bad. If I'm gone and you want to bump someone else into my slot, that's fine with me.

I think you should be fine timewhise, for some reason I doubt we can move through 3 player slots in a week, but you never know. Good luck on your travels.

Vahir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2011, 06:28:46 pm »

Hello? Is anyone there?
Quote from: Girlinhat
Yeah, used to be like you.  "Don't draft the mothers" and "Make sure that mood gets fulfilled!" and "He's tantruming, better make him happier and not order him killed" or "Leave the gate open!  The woodcutter is still running away from the ambush!" Then I started throwing children to their deaths in an ornate glass display case in the middle of the dining hall

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2011, 11:38:26 am »

Yes, but waiting for kytuzian to post more. HEY.... WAKE UP!!! *poke, poke*
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2011, 03:11:24 pm »

it's been four days. We skipping?
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

dwarf -lover-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2011, 07:32:55 pm »

Well he has been kind of lacking in the post department, and he hasn't PMed me for more time or anything so... Yeah, Ezk1 your up, save is right here.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5146

Mr. Doc

• Bay Watcher
  • Semi-Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2011, 07:38:40 pm »

Nameless new guy here requesting dorfing as "Doc." No hard preferences on profession but I'd prefer a medical dwarf.

Vahir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2011, 08:50:07 pm »

The list on the front page is outdated, someone might want to refresh it.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Yeah, used to be like you.  "Don't draft the mothers" and "Make sure that mood gets fulfilled!" and "He's tantruming, better make him happier and not order him killed" or "Leave the gate open!  The woodcutter is still running away from the ambush!" Then I started throwing children to their deaths in an ornate glass display case in the middle of the dining hall

ztyler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2011, 10:32:19 pm »

Id like to be dwarfed as one of the militia members. Anybody will do. Call him STABBYSTABBYDIE please.
He's going the distance.

dwarf -lover-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2011, 01:15:36 pm »

The list on the front page is outdated, someone might want to refresh it.

We can't refresh it because we aren't LoneTopHat, that is why I post a refreshed list on every page. I haven't crossed out kytuzian yet because, as the rules state, as long as he posts before Ezk1 his turn is still valid. I'm still hoping Ezk1 posts, he seemed pretty active. :\

Mr. Doc

• Bay Watcher
  • Semi-Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2011, 02:26:55 pm »

I'm also going to tentatively claim year 9. More then likely I'll have a couple afternoons where I can burn through a year really quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11