Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Lastrags - A Succession Game  (Read 10786 times)

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lastrags - A Succession Game
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 05:28:02 pm »

Actually move me up to year four.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 05:35:24 pm »

Alright, the ball is rolling again.

dwarf -lover-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 05:57:01 pm »

Can't wait for the first journal entry.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 05:58:12 pm »

If someone can pm me the list of deities of the civ, I'd be happy
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 07:24:28 pm »

I'll join again on the next available year. No time should be too inconvenient for me.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 07:25:40 pm »

Shark's journal

28 Obsidian 500
We will be arriving at our destination in a couple days, and I fear for success of this fortress we're supposed to create. My fellow dwarves are not suited for the founding of a strong fortress. This mess is terrible, so I declare myself the new expedition leader. We will succeed under my rule. As a miner and a mason, I will make this fort what it is.

Our party consists of
Miner/Mason (me).
Miner.
Woodcutter/Carpenter.
General purpose Craftsdwarf.
Farmer/Fisher.
Ex-military peasant.
Too many damn animals to count.

1 Granite 501
We arrive on the first day of spring. We stop next to an excellent spot in the hills. A brook runs through and stops in a small valley in the hills. The hills are nice and rocky, and I know there's metal to be found. The stone in this area should contain hematite somewhere, but from an initial look around, there's only galena on the surface. To my knowledge there won't be many gems in this are for our craftsdwarf.

I'm not sure where we should dig in, so I sketch a picture of the area to help me think.

These natural stone walls are pretty ugly for stone. I'm not really a fan of andesite. I think we'll dig in the sand up north. There should be another layer of sand below, near the creek, so we can farm there. I yell some orders, and The woodcutter wanders off to fell some trees. The fisher was already at the creek. I should really learn their names if i'm going to be a dynamic leader.

(Journal start! So, who wants to be dwarfed? Respond quickly or I might just randomly put you on a dwarf you didn't want.)
(Andesite is the only stone that is this ugly on this texture pack dear god that is ugly I might switch packs)

Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

dwarf -lover-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 07:37:15 pm »

I'll be the second miner, if that's okay.

EDIT: Quick question: We are all using 31.25 correct?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:44:31 pm by dwarf -lover- »

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 07:52:47 pm »

8 Granite 501
The peasant is insane. The instant he discovers our spare axe he runs off and mutilates a mountain goat so badly we can't butcher it, and that's saying something. I call him out on this, and he drops the axe in the hills, and runs back to get to work, pretending nothing happened. Hopefully later in this fortresses life we can channel that behavior toward goblins.

15 Granite 501

As we dig through the sand the other miner asks me to start calling him "Dwarf Lover." Laying it on a bit thick, isn't he? How did he even know I was female, i've been hiding it! This is infuriating. I also ordered our male cat to be butchered, I don't want to be wading knee deep in kittens everyone won't let go of.

Work is hard but steady. We got a farm started and we're digging out a nice dining hall. We're also beginning to move our wood into the fortress. We also dug out a barracks area for later fortress defense, and we'll sleep there until we have our own rooms.

Our own rooms would be nice. A little privacy from "Dwarf Lover."
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 07:53:04 pm »

I'll be the second miner, if that's okay.

EDIT: Quick question: We are all using 31.25 correct?
I am.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 07:57:56 pm »

Dang it! No mechanic.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

Eastep

• Bay Watcher
  • Puppysicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 08:05:20 pm »

Dwarf me up as the craftsdwarf. Name him/her (doesn't matter to me) Eastep and hopefully he'll make morbid rock sculptures to populate the fortress!
I'll be waiting to see what kind of chaos ensues once the evil creatures come pouring in. I'll get to see that wimpy layer of sand crumble, and the farm by the creek get overrun. Teehee.
Maybe I'll end up writing from the craftdwarf's perspective? I'm no good at dwarf fortress, but I consider myself decent at writing! It's up to you guys though.
Forgotten Beasts just want to be loved!

dwarf -lover-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 08:36:01 pm »

Dwarf me up as the craftsdwarf. Name him/her (doesn't matter to me) Eastep and hopefully he'll make morbid rock sculptures to populate the fortress!
I'll be waiting to see what kind of chaos ensues once the evil creatures come pouring in. I'll get to see that wimpy layer of sand crumble, and the farm by the creek get overrun. Teehee.
Maybe I'll end up writing from the craftdwarf's perspective? I'm no good at dwarf fortress, but I consider myself decent at writing! It's up to you guys though.

I don't mind, but LoneTopHat is running this, so it's up to him.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 01:46:48 pm »

Got back from school, gonna start playing and updating journal again. Eastep, i'll dorf you, but you're not doing anything interesting atm. This is a really slow start for a fortress for me because i'm digging in a tad away from the starting point, trying to start the story, and doing some predigging stuff so I won't have to make stuff better later.

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 01:47:50 pm »

Sounds good o:

Eastep

• Bay Watcher
  • Puppysicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 02:26:03 pm »

Journal of Eastep

Early Granite

Well, Granite has finally come around, but I still feel the winter chill in the air. Most of the other dwarves don't notice it, especially the miners, but since I've spent most of my time here in this fortress hauling wood, I've been stuck out in the overbright. Back in the Mountain Homes, a dwarf could live out his entire life without ever coming to the surface! Since I've left my home, all I've done is writhe in the light, and I think I'm a bit sunburned.

There's some nice looking stone around here, even if our leader doesn't think so. I had an idea for a few statuettes and amulets while I've been hauling:
"This is a well crafted andesite amulet. On the item is an image of dwarves under a big sun. The dwarves are in the fetal position."
And
"This is a well crafted andesite figurine of a dwarf. The dwarf is laughing maniacly, and will be in an artistic coma soon from being kept from a chisel for so long!"

Hopefully things will work out a little better, but in the mean time I'll- wait, they just finished carving out the room. We'll all be sharing the same room, which is absolutely great. At least it's away from the sun, and I might even be able to find someone in here who's got some doctoring experience. I really need something for this peeling skin, it's so hard to get to through the beard.
Although... I'm going to be in the same room as that crazy peasant who lost our axe in the hill. Who knows? Maybe he'll make for a great military man.

I'm off though, to haul more wood. I'll see you later journal.

-----------

Do the dwarves have any dieties?
Forgotten Beasts just want to be loved!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11