Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Lastrags - A Succession Game  (Read 10768 times)

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lastrags - A Succession Game
« on: October 10, 2011, 10:26:31 pm »

The below post is subject to change often. Check back periodically.
Fortress Name: Lastrags (Randomly generated, perfectly fits the backstory no?)

The mission of this succession game is to not only create a massive successful fortress in hostile environments and forge an interesting story that will be remembered in the Hall of Legends. The main piece of the game will be simple. It starts in a dying world. The world is overrun with evil creatures that want nothing more to destroy what we call civilization.
It is a large, cruel, glorious, world. It is our world.

Our numbers are few now. The great dwarven civilizations of old have fallen to wars and great beasts. Our small band goes forth from our warm mountain homes to forge a new dwarven kingdom. We must retake what is ours, our wealth, our power, and most importantly, our booze!

In essecence the fortress is supposed to kill most of the notable beasts in the world and create a new age of civilizations etc etc.
We'll need a team of highly experienced dwarf fortress players to take a year's worth of play up.

This could end up a very long game, so I MAY allow people more than one turn as long as it's not directly after their first turn. Now I am not an expert at DF.
I don't even know if this idea of mine is possible. But it should be 'fun' to try it out.

If you're interested in a slot simply post below with the desired slot #. I have ultimate authority in moving people around, and if you don't like it, tough shit.
I don't WANT to save scum, but if griefers/trolls abound who won't follow the intended path of the fortress, then we will. Again, it's ultimately my decision.

Before Play: When it gets to your turn you'll get a PM with a link to the Dwarf Fortress File Depot so you can download the latest save compressed a la WinRAR.
You'll simply unzip it into DF/data and begin where the other person left off.

After Play: When your turn ends, you will similarly compress the save folder in your DF a la WinRAR and upload it via an account on DFFD.

You'll then PM the link to the download page to the next person who's after you.

Pretty simple, but if any screw ups happen or I'm incorrect in any of the above (I'm no expert mind you), then please shoot me a PM and I'll attempt to fix the issue.

During Play: I expect you to be able to write a comprehensible 'journal' about the year you played. Each season, just so you remember all the details, I suggest you write it up and post part of your journal. Then simply modify the post as time progresses. Please write it from your dwarf's perspective, add a bit of personality and humor if you can, and make it interesting. Pictures will earn you bonus points. By the end of the game I'll pick the best year's entry and give them all sorts of lovely prizes. (You win! You get nothing!)

List of Slots:
Year 1 : Shark
Year 2 : dwarf -lover-
Year 3 :LoneTophat (Me)
Year 4 : cappstv
Year 5 : Paulus Fahlstrom
Year 6 : zomara0292
Year 7 : kytuzian
Year 8 : Ezk1
Year 9 : Shiio
Year 10 : Empty
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:57:00 pm by LoneTophat »

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lastrags - A Succession Game
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 05:47:31 am »

[Reserved]

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 12:55:08 pm »

[Reserved]

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 02:03:01 pm »

Give me year one. I won't abandon it after not posting like that guy in the other game.

I'm not the most experienced of players but I can handle first year easy. If people don't like the initial design... more "fun" to them :D
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 02:39:21 pm »

Give me year one. I won't abandon it after not posting like that guy in the other game.

I'm not the most experienced of players but I can handle first year easy. If people don't like the initial design... more "fun" to them :D
Thankyou Shark. Let's get the ball rolling, hopefully others will join in after you tell your tale.
I've PM'd you the download link. You know what to do.

dwarf -lover-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 03:19:14 pm »

This sounds appealing, may I join?

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 03:35:44 pm »

This sounds appealing, may I join?
You have Year 2.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 03:54:58 pm »

Why not?

I'm in. I'll take year 3.

I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 04:06:32 pm »

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 04:07:21 pm »

I will take year 5. I guess.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 04:16:32 pm »

downloading the save now. I'll post each season as I go along, and when i'm ready to post the save, i'll compile the whole journal into one post. I'll be including pictures, hopefully you guys will like the texture pack I use.

Slight problem. I messaged lonetophat and i'm not doing anything until he responds.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:28:26 pm by Shark »
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 04:35:03 pm »

downloading the save now. I'll post each season as I go along, and when i'm ready to post the save, i'll compile the whole journal into one post. I'll be including pictures, hopefully you guys will like the texture pack I use.

Slight problem. I messaged lonetophat and i'm not doing anything until he responds.
If you can't resolve the issue you brought to my attention through my instructions, we'll have to scrap the above and create a new world. We'll keep the slot order, the mission statement, and all the rest. Just might be a different world and embark location guys.

UPDATE: Alright everyone, I'm an idiot. I created the world and save before realizing I was playing a mod'd version of DF that I had created. My bad.
The order of players will stay the same as will the mission. All rules apply. I'll just grab a new save that's totally vanilla and we'll start this again.

Again; Sorry guys, my bad.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:43:50 pm by LoneTophat »

dwarf -lover-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 05:15:11 pm »

So texture packs are fine as far as putting pictures in our posts go? My resolution isn't big enough to play in ASCII without everything stretching out weird.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 05:18:06 pm »

Just dorf me without giving me a turn this time. I'll do flavor text about dwarven theology and stuff.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 05:20:51 pm »

So texture packs are fine as far as putting pictures in our posts go? My resolution isn't big enough to play in ASCII without everything stretching out weird.

Yes.

Just dorf me without giving me a turn this time. I'll do flavor text about dwarven theology and stuff.

Very well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11