Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking For Other DF-like Games  (Read 1583 times)

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking For Other DF-like Games
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:25:57 pm »

Any great game that you love that's somewhat like Dwarf Fortress, either adventurer or legends mode etc etc, then please suggest it here.
I need something to do while I wait for my succession games to play out.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For Other DF-like Games
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:54:05 pm »

For Adventure Mode: I recommend NetHack. It's not all that much alike, but it's very fun. Most roguelikes are somewhat like adventure mode, anyway. IVAN is closer to DF's adventure mode. Neither has the depth of combat, though; I don't know of any game that does.

Legends Mode: Glancing around, you may want to check out Lord Dullard's Cult. It's a fairly interesting world generator right now, and the more people that try it, the better it can be. There aren't very many world generation and history viewing games out there: you'd probably find more interest in DF's Legends Mode with various mods.

LoneTophat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:10:07 pm »

For Adventure Mode: I recommend NetHack. It's not all that much alike, but it's very fun. Most roguelikes are somewhat like adventure mode, anyway. IVAN is closer to DF's adventure mode. Neither has the depth of combat, though; I don't know of any game that does.

Legends Mode: Glancing around, you may want to check out Lord Dullard's Cult. It's a fairly interesting world generator right now, and the more people that try it, the better it can be. There aren't very many world generation and history viewing games out there: you'd probably find more interest in DF's Legends Mode with various mods.

Any like Dwarf Fortress ;)? Thanks btw mate.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:11:24 pm »

Fortress Mode, if that's what you're referring to, is pretty unique. The closest you're going to get is probably Minecraft.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 01:16:39 am »

Or goblin camp which was heavily based off DF, but has a fair amount of differences. And a wonderful UI.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 01:28:25 am »

Fortress Mode, if that's what you're referring to, is pretty unique. The closest you're going to get is probably Minecraft.

What about Dungeon Master?
Thank you based dwarf.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:12:20 am »

Or the old game Stronghold - it was actually pretty fun once you figured out what was happening :) Might have to play that again for a bit!

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:16:43 am »

Dungeon keeper and goblin camp are the two strategy games I know of that are similar to Dwarf Fortress. Except both have no Z-levels. And goblin camp was inspired by DF, apparently, according to his most recent news post.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:44:41 pm »

Ultima Ratio Regum
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94550.0

It's like DF. Not released yet but you should take a look.