Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Save hundreds of keypresses  (Read 3442 times)

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save hundreds of keypresses
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:04:54 pm »

So, I recently figured out a trick that will save hundreds of keypresses and a lot of time. When making lengthy vertical designations (such as stairs to the caverns), instead of hitting enter, enter, shift+., enter, enter, etc. you can just select "up/down stair," click on the map, and hold down the "move camera down a z-level" key.

The staircase gets designated in seconds.

This may be obvious to a lot of you, but to me it was mindblowing.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: Save hundreds of keypresses
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:33:06 pm »

Actually, I did only figure this out recently myself. It's pretty cool, no?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 08:42:38 pm »

macros help too :D
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:07:23 pm »

You tell me this AFTER I just finished designating my huge staircases everywhere around the caverns?!  :'(

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 09:08:58 pm »

Doesn't really help me (I make 3x3 rooms with a stair in the center square rather than just a shaft down) but it's nice to know someone found a use for mouse designation.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:32:40 pm »

[MIND_BLOWN:YES]

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 09:45:48 pm »

Doesn't really help me (I make 3x3 rooms with a stair in the center square rather than just a shaft down) but it's nice to know someone found a use for mouse designation.

It could still be faster for you to do this nine times, but I'm not sure. Easier and lazier, probably. Or use a macro.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 09:52:39 pm »

It could still be faster for you to do this nine times, but I'm not sure. Easier and lazier, probably. Or use a macro.
He does eight dig and one stair designation.  It would definitely help with the stair part, but not necessarily as much with the rest.

I could swear I saw an update about multi-z designations being in the next update, which would be sweet and solve this another way -- top upper right corner, enter, move to bottom lower left corner, enter ... yer done. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 10:29:52 am »

I could swear I saw an update about multi-z designations being in the next update, which would be sweet and solve this another way -- top upper right corner, enter, move to bottom lower left corner, enter ... yer done. ;)
There's certainly facility for this kind of designation, defining burrows already works that way.  I kind of wish I could designate the shaft to be dug the same way I assign those same shaft squares to be part of a burrow.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 10:54:54 am »

I already find the multi-Z (single column) dig-a-stair (or channel, or just normal dig, which can at least serve as a guide marker) method very useful, and was similarly pleased to learn I could do it, when I was first told.

To add to that, though, I'd quite like to designate a build-a-stair, similarly, however.  Similarly to building an (up to 10x10) area of construction (typically a 10x1 wall, but also 10x10 floors, which I can then "edit out" spots for other things to be put in, automatically and as soon as there's access[1]), but in a Z direction.

[1] Or, more cleverly, up to 10x10 floor, delete from the access point(s) to where it's not entirely floor, set (say) 6x6 stairs or walls or Fortifications or whatavyer, then remove the some of those to re-designate as floors.  However logic dictates for this particular structure.  Then let it all be built with very little additional management, apart from the spots beyond the reach of the original built-to area.  And if you need a specific example to understand what I mean, I could draw one up for you.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 11:22:20 am »

Well, that could've been useful designating the staircases for my wonky pumpstack.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 12:14:33 pm »

This and macros have saved me so much time over the last couple of fortresses. I wish I knew about it sooner.
[Signature]

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 12:30:35 pm »

He does eight dig and one stair designation.  It would definitely help with the stair part, but not necessarily as much with the rest.

Actually, 8 dig + 1 stair across 100 levels is still easier using the mouse.  Though a macro may be even better (I haven't gotten into macro'ing yet).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 12:43:22 pm »

Using the mouse is cool and all that, but I'd much rather use a macro to designate things.
Mouse use (n=levels used)
1 mouse click+1 down/up level = 2n inputs
Macro of designating 5 levels at once
17 inputs to set up temporary macro (10 for designation+5 for level switches+2 to save macro) + n/5 = n/5+17

Macro beats mouse use as long as n>9 (And if you permanently save the macro then from then on it's just n/5 so macro wins every time)
Also macros let you designate things like a 3x3 room with a stair in the middle with hardly any additional input rather than greatly increasing input as the mouse would require.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 12:45:35 pm »

The next version is confirmed to have multi-level designations, which makes this all moot.  But until then, this trick is pretty awesome.  Macros are still useful if you're using an irregular staircase, like a series of spiraling ramps.
Pages: [1] 2