Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Bloodbowl Season 3: Dark Vertibrae Wins!  (Read 31121 times)

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodbowl Season 3: Week 2!
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2011, 02:30:21 pm »

I have to say that was an excellent game all around.  Despite heavy casualties, the halflings celebrated not losing, while about 6 players also celebrated not being injured, which is the most they can expect.  I don't regret my heavy casualties, had my one or two halflings not been injured when I threw them in the first couple rounds, and had my halfling not tripped over his own two feet there in the second or third round, I would have had a very good chance of recovering my own kickoff within distance of the endzone.  Spectacularly failing to pull that off put me at a pretty big disadvantage.  It is shame though that the ref advanced the clock with only a turn and a half left in the game.  Oh also, cool artwork.

I am completely scared of playing against the chaos team next week though.  Especially since I'm going to have a treeman out for that game.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:34:28 pm by drkpaladin »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2011, 09:41:45 am »

Dark Vertibrae defeats w00t w00t 2-1 in a game that saw as few as 1 elf left on the field at one point.

It started off poorly for Vertibrae - they lost the coin toss, their kick was high (and even if it hadn't been, it landed right on an elf), and the very first hit on one of their zombies was a SI (MNG), regen failed.

They quickly evened up the number of players, KO'ing an elf or two, and tried to put pressure on the ball, but a 1d block double skulled, and the elf had a free run into the endzone. 1-0 for w00t w00t.

Thus would end most of the good luck for the elves.

Honestly, it was pretty early in the morning (darn 6 hour time differences making setting up games difficult,) so I don't remember exactly how play continued after that. I'll give a summary, and if ank wants to chime in with details, he can.

Undead slowly move up the field. They started trying left, but after all the elves ran to that side, shifted right... forgetting that wood elves have absolutely no problem moving from one side of the field to the other in a single turn. Undead regroups, then slowly pushes its way forward. Finally, on turn 8, they score. 1-1, I may have gotten a CAS in here, and possibly a KO.

Riot! And the clock is turned back! Suddenly, the wood elves have another chance to score. The runner moves up the field, the thrower makes the pass... and it's INTERCEPTED BY A MUMMY!

Half ends.

Most elves remain KO'd. I think starting setup is 9 undead players to 7 elves. Undead push forward, but one of the mummies gets too frisky - he runs out ahead of the pack on a blitz. Hits his target, but on the wood elf turn gets surrounded, hit down, then fouled, KO'ing him. The elves then make a risky 1d block on the (blodging? maybe only dodging - forget) ghoul ballcarrier. It's a pow, and the ball goes straight into the hands of the elf catcher, despite two tacklezones on him.

He dodges away, sprints down the field... and trips, killing himself. The apoh runs onto the field, and declares the elf not dead - it was just a broken arm.

After that it was a combination of undead hitting elves and elves getting skulls that slowly but surely reduced their numbers until on turn 16, just one elf remained on the field.

While tempting to clear the pitch, the undead decide to leave him, and run in the score. 2-1 for Vertibrae.

Virtually all elven KOs get up, but with no more riots, the game ends.

Good Game ank!

edit: Some thoughts about the game:

Wood elves are never easy to win against, and it was only through some good luck on my part and poor luck on ank's part that I managed to win this one. Even discounting the number of CAS and KOs that I got, the only thing that stopped this game from being 2-2 or even 3-2 in ank's favor was a couple of rolls.

If my mummy hadn't gotten the intercept, ank would've been in prime position to score in the 1st half.

Although the sequence of events leading up to it was lucky for ank (1d block against a dodger, with no block on the blocker followed by a catch of the dropped ball under two TZs,) only his poor luck of rolling a one on his GFI roll saved me from totally losing control of the ball. After he got it, he could've probably waited out the clock with his immense speed advantage and ended the game 2-1, despite the fact that only 3 or 4 elves remained on field at that point.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:18:51 am by AlStar »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2011, 12:30:38 pm »

Hey Vherid, what's your name on Steam?

We can play tomorrow, but it's vherid. I'm in the group

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2011, 05:43:50 pm »

Thanks for the game Alstar, your account is pretty accurate.
i think i made my team wrong... i should have started with no catchers, and 2 war dancers... oh well... next season.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2011, 05:21:14 pm »

Ndkid and I still can't get a playable connection. I think this'll just have to be a tie by default if my opponent is willing to accept that.
... and then it explodes!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2011, 05:38:47 pm »

Ndkid and I still can't get a playable connection. I think this'll just have to be a tie by default if my opponent is willing to accept that.

Hold that thought, we're in business!

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2011, 06:10:18 pm »

Ack, I still haven't gotten my game done.
What's your steam name, Tiny?

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2011, 07:03:37 pm »

Kobb's Khorne vs. Foot-The-Ball Legion VII

Khorne elects to kick, and sets up all men on the front line. The Legion puts five men on the line, to Khorne's pleasure.

L1: a beastman goes down, but the Legion burns its lone reroll picking up the ball. This does lead to an elven catcher getting deep into Khorne territory.

K1: Chaos Warriors free up a beastman from the line to run back and knock the ball carrier out of bounds. The crowd sends the ball most of the way across the pitch. Three elves end up lying on the pitch.

L2: Three Legionaries take down a Warrior. A catcher attempts to blitz a beastman, knocking both down.

K2: Khorne knocks a Legionnaire down, pushes some around, but fail to pick up the ball.

L3: The Legionnaires injure a beastman, and start to get some elves near the ball.

K3: A beastman manages to pick up the ball this time, run it forward, and fumbles attempting to get it into the hands of a beastman waiting to take off down the sideline.

L4: Surrounding the beastman next to the ball, an elf injuries himself going for it.

K4: A beastman breaks the hand of a Legionnaire. Four more elves go down. A beastman picks up the ball and gets it to the Legionnaire side of the field.

L5: With half of the elves left on the pitch lying down, there is a lot of standing up. A Chaos warrior gets knocked over.

K5: Two elves get knocked out. Several more get knocked over. The ball carrier gets closer to a TD.

L6: With a couple of dodges, the elves manage to blitz the ball carrier.

K6: Khorne pushes back the elf who knocked over the beastman, get a wall down there, and the beastman stands back up, gets the ball back, and stands beside his wall.

L7: The Legionnaires push the ball carrier.

K7: Khorne knocks over the Legionnaires near the ball carrier, run him up to the goal line, and notice that their coach is screaming "run out the clock". Apparently, due to strange historic rules to Blood Bowl, a team is only allowed to attempt to revive its players before setting up for a kickoff, meaning that, if Khorne scores on turn 7, the Legionnaires will get two attempts to wake up their knocked out players. The beastman notices his coach at the last minute, and veers off his scoring run.

L8: Mostly a passed turn.

K8: TD.

Halftime Score: Khorne 1 - Legionnaires 0

The Legionnaires can only field 8 men; Khorne fields 10. Two of those 10 go deep; the rest play the front line.

K9: The Legionnaires kick it high, allowing a beastman to catch the kickoff.A beastman hurts a Legionnaire on a block. Two other elves go down.

L9: A one-die block on a beastman ends in skulls, and the Legionnaires elect to save their reroll for later.

K10: At the end of the turn, there is one Legionnaire left standing up.

L10: Pass

K11: A successful pass, followed by a run in for the touchdown.

L10-2: The Legionnaires are now playing seven men to ten. Khorne lines up in their standard Full Frontal Brutality. A riot by the fans, leads to more time going onto the clock. The thrower passes the ball forward to the lone lineman on the right side, who runs it left toward the catcher (and, not coincidentally, behind the front line). The catcher comes up beside him for added defense, and most of the front line peels back to protect, as well.

K11-2: Khorne knocks part of the line over, gets a beastman blitzing the ball carrier, only to have the bouncing ball end up in the hands of another elven lineman. The rest of Khorne surrounds the ball carrier and pile of Legionnaire bodies around him, sending one Chaos Warrior deep.

L11: A standing lineman manages to knock over the one backside beastman blocker, but another attempted block double-skulls.

K12: A bunch of blocks lead to a couple of elves going down, and the rest, including one who manage to pick up the ball as it bounced around, mostly inside the Khorne lines.

L12: Pass

K13: Every time Khorne knocks an elf down, another one gets the ball. Finally, a blitz on the catcher leads to a stunned catcher, but a KOed beastman. But a beastman finally has the ball in his hands.

L13: An attempted block on the ball carrier leads to the elf getting knocked over.

K14: A couple of more Legionnaires get knocked over as the beastman runs for the end zone.

L14: The elves, seeking some revenge, knock out two beastmen.

K15: Khorne knocks over several Legionnaires, and then run the ball in for the touchdown.

L15: Eight Khorne players to seven Legionnaires forces Khorne to pull back slightly, pulling their two edge players back from the flank lines and putting only their four chaos warriors on the front line. A touchback puts the ball into the catcher's hands; a lineman helpfully knocks out one of the beastmen in front of him. The catcher blazes toward the end zone.

K16: A beastman runs toward the ball carrier, then forgets what to do. (I forgot to declare the blitz before the GFI roll... I hate when I do that!) This forces another beastman to double-dodge to get down and make the blitz to knock the catcher over.

L16: The catcher stands up and picks up the ball, running it in for the score.

Final Score: Kobb's Khorne 3 - 1 Foot-The-Ball Legion VII

Thoughts: The dice mostly held with me today, but Hlbeta's shortage of manpower, along with the failure on their first push, when they were at their strongest, pretty much carried the day. The 19 total SPP will definitely help me going forward.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2011, 09:23:04 am »

So the two games left for the week are the Unstoppable Force versus the immovable object (also known as Wood Elf v. Undead) and Dwarf v. Orc? These matches are so classic, I almost want to watch!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2011, 09:29:19 am »

Wood Elf vs Undead was already played, 2-1 Undead.

Orcs vs Dwarves, Humans vs Dark Elves are left.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2011, 11:06:06 am »

Kobb's Khorne vs. Foot-The-Ball Legion VII

L4: Surrounding the beastman next to the ball, an elf injuries himself going for it.
That was going to be the very best turn. I was ready to blitz the beastman, hand the ball off and run it downfield for an easy TD with some nice chain-blocking for good measure. Then I learned the hard way that tacking at the end of your move requires a GFI roll. That knowledge is now seared into my mind.
... and then it explodes!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2011, 09:33:45 am »

So, Tiny, lordcooper, Tres_Huevos, Vherid... what's the plan?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2011, 09:38:09 am »

So, Tiny, lordcooper, Tres_Huevos, Vherid... what's the plan?

I wasn't going to start getting on their cases for another couple of days (week rollover was just on the 24th,) but yeah, if we can have this week finished before the 4th (giving a full weekend for people to get their next games scheduled and played,) it'd be great.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2011, 10:57:14 am »

I'm hoping the Orcs and Dwarves get together and kill one another. :D
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2011, 11:09:13 am »

I'm hoping the Orcs and Dwarves get together and kill one another. :D

Unfortunately, both orcs and dwarves tend to have heads so hard that it's difficult to convince them to give up their lives as blood bowl players. :-)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26