Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Bloodbowl Season 3: Dark Vertibrae Wins!  (Read 31025 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bloodbowl Season 3: Dark Vertibrae Wins!
« on: October 10, 2011, 06:10:44 pm »

So, with the final of Season 2 complete, we're now in place to see to a new season of Bay12 Bloodbowl.

Ok, I've got the League up. The name is: "Bay12 League 3". Password is "Bay12" - remember, capitalization is important.

Although I briefly considered trying something exotic with two pools of players, I decided to go with the tried-and-true (mostly because if I mucked it up, it'd be a massive hassle to recreate.)
1 Pool, everyone plays everyone else once, then the top 4 teams will go into the semi-finals.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We're currently at 12 players. We need an even number of players to start the season. More is better, of course, but we can start at 12 or 14. If you know two people who want to play, now would be the time to get them, otherwise we'll just go with 12.

NAME - RACE - TEAM
Tiny - Dwarves - Soapmakers United
lordcooper - Human - The Cthulian Crushers
ndkid - Chaos - Kobb's Khorne
Kanil - Elf - Sheer Badassery
Charmander - Lizardmen - Sahagin Stormers
Xanatos Jr. - Norse - Lutefisk Legion
AlStar - Undead - Dark Vertibrae
Tres_Huevos - Orcs - The Smash 'ems
Vherid - Dark Elves - Agony Strain
drkpaladin - Halflings - All-Thumbs AnkleBiters
HLBeta - High Elves - Foot-The-Ball Legion VII
ank - Wood Elves - w00t w00t

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(From the S2 posting):

IMPORTANT: if you want to play in the league, ask yourself: “can I devote one hour of my time to this once every ten days or so?” If the answer is NO, then DON’T SIGN UP.

Ask yourself: “Am I planning on disappearing entirely from the Bay12 community soon, and will refuse to answer all PMs and Steam messages?” If the answer is YES, then DON’T SIGN UP.

Ask yourself: “Would I like to have a lot of fun with a bunch of other Bloodbowl players, and watch a bunch of teams evolve as they play through a season, ending with a playoffs and finally with one team declared champion?” If the answer is YES, then SIGN UP!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:22:41 am by AlStar »

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodbowl Season 3: Who Wants More Bloodbowl?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 06:18:08 pm »

I'd like to sign up!

Norse, if possible.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 07:49:28 pm »

Sign me the fuck up, preferably as standard elves or lizardmen.

And I don't really mind for old teams, given that inducements exist to level the playing field a little.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:26:04 pm »

I'd like to mention that from what I've seen, inducements generally don't level the playing field at all. I'd prefer just new teams.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 02:08:59 am »

I'm interested. Not yet sure what team I want, I guess it'd depend on what I'm facing. Probably pro Elf/Necromantic.

I really don't see the appeal in unique teams, although I'm not terribly bothered by it. I just think it'd be better to let everyone play the team they want.

No opinion either way on new/old teams. You'll be behind, but some well spent inducements will give you a chance. Not sure how large the teams have gotten over a season or two, though.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:17:24 am by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 06:55:04 am »

I'm in for a new season. I am attached to Morg's Meat Mashers for a number of reasons (including them being the defending champions). If a strong tide goes against playing old teams, I'd likely aim toward Chaos, Lizardmen, Dwarves... some team that isn't a strong passing team, but that I will find a way to give a passing game to.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 12:08:26 pm »

I'm in.

I'd prefer to play with only new teams if possible and would like to call dibs on bog standard humans.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 01:56:45 pm »

I'll join in. I actually wouldn't mind letting older teams play. With the way this game plays, sometimes experience just doesn't matter at all.

I just got the game though, and I've yet to play a multiplayer game. So, whoever goes up against me first, be patient please, unless I managed to squeeze in a game or two before this starts.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 07:29:16 pm »

For what it's worth, I'd also prefer conferences, even if they're small. Two four-man conferences where you play each team in your conference twice would appeal to me more than an eight-man single conference where you play each other team once. The general consensus against keeping team from season to season removes most continuity... never facing the same team twice gets to the point where I feel like I could just as easily be playing random matches against people online.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 10:58:49 am »

Usually that's what you've got the finals for, however, there's another reason I don't usually like to do playing each team multiple times - the gamemaker doesn't ensure that those times are divided in any way, so you're just as likely to have to play the same team twice as different teams.

It'll also make for a longer season - and we just barely limped through the last one.

I'm willing to hear other people's opinions though.

We're currently at 8 players. We need an even number of players to start the season. More is better, of course, but we can start at 8 or 10. If you know two (or four, I suppose)people who want to play, now would be the time to get them, otherwise we'll just go with 8.

NAME - RACE
sluissa - ?
lordcooper - human
ndkid - Chaos/Lizardmen/Dwarves
Kanil - Elf/Necromantic
Charmander - Lizardmen/Elf
Xanatos Jr. - Norse
AlStar - ?
Tres_Huevos - ?

I think we can call this just about wrapped up in favor of new teams.

We've currently got some overlap in team preferences, so I guess now is when we decide if we're going unique, or if we don't mind playing with (possibly) multiple lizardmen or elf teams.

re-Edit: You know what, I'm just going to say, that, beyond ndkid, pretty much everyone else wanted new teams or was neutral. Fair enough?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:26:53 pm by AlStar »

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 11:14:19 am »

I was neutral for it, but it seems fairly unanimous anyway.

I'd prefer multiple race teams, but I can probably make do. Although saying that means I'll probably get shafted with an ogre team I don't know how to use...

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 12:00:38 pm »

I'm interested in this. I did, however, only get it during the recent Steam sale, and haven't gotten much chance to play, so I'm pretty terrible at it, I'm sure.

As for teams new/old doesn't matter to me, and as for what I'd play, I don't have any particular attachment to any of them, so I'm open to suggestions. I'll probably just pick one of the leftovers after those who care take their pick.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 12:10:52 pm »

I voted yes on only new teams...
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 12:26:29 pm »

I voted yes on only new teams...
I think he gave you my "no" vote accidentally.

With 8 teams split into two 4-team conferences, if you played everyone in your conference once, that's a 6-week season, versus a 7-week season if you do one game against each team in a single conference. 10 teams in two 5-team conferences is 8 weeks, versus 9 weeks for a single conference. I could see it being longer if it was play intraconference twice, cross-conference once, but I don't think BB can handle that natively.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 12:35:11 pm »

... conference stuff....

I'll admit, I haven't played around with the options too much. I'll have to look into what's possible.

Quote from: Tres_Huevos
I don't have any particular attachment to any of them, so I'm open to suggestions.

Generally speaking, the most new-user friendly team is orcs. They're tough (AV 9 means that they're almost impossible to KO or CAS), strong (4 players with ST 4), start with a good number of players with skills (like block and sure hands), and can even get a ST 5 troll if they feel that they haven't got enough strength yet. All this in exchange for being a little slow.

Off the top of my head, I'd say the other new-player friendly teams would be: Humans, Undead, Necromantic and pretty much any of the Elves that aren't Wood Elves... pretty much in that order. Those teams all play a fairly standard game.

The more specialized teams are Chaos, Nurgle, Khemri... and in a totally different way, Wood Elves. They're all bashers, and start with high strength, but almost no skills. It can be very hard to get a Chaos or Nurgle team off the ground, but once you do, they have access to both skills and mutations, which can make them very dangerous. Khemri have AG 2 across the board, so even though their throwers start with sure hands, picking up the ball is never a safe move. Lord help you if it's raining. Wood Elves are all speed. They can move from one end of the field to the other in a single turn with a pass and a hand-off. However, they've got horrid armor, and their players each cost about twice that of any other team. Each game becomes a tense fight between how many points can the Wood Elves score before they don't have any players left on the field.

The *fun* teams are Ogres, Goblins and Halflings and, to a lesser extent, Vampires. These are teams for people who don't mind that the dice control how well they do. Ogres have a huge strength advantage (up to six ST 5 players!) but their players get brainfarts when they roll a 1, and their only decent ballhandlers are snotlings, which are ST 1. Vampires combine ST 4 with AG 4, and are totally unstoppable when they've leveled up a couple times... until they roll a 1, and have to snack on one of their teammates. Goblins are just silly. They have all kinds of tricks that can blast the opponent (bombs, chainsaws, etc) but since these are all illegal weapons, they get kicked off the field after use. Halflings start with the two strongest players in the game (two ST 6 treemen)  but the treemen are slow (MV 3) and will root themselves to the ground on a 1. Halflings themselves are slow (MV 5), Weak (ST 2) and poorly armored (AV 5). They're basically little XP-pinatas for teams that face them.

Edit: *Counting* 14,15... Oh, Lizardmen. They're like Ogres, but they trade a point of strength for not having to worry about rolling a 1. Their skinks are better then snotlings in every way (ST 2, MV... 7, I think), but have a similar problem that if the skinks are all taken out, the lizards have no real way to move the ball. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:06:33 pm by AlStar »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26