Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26

Author Topic: Bloodbowl Season 3: Dark Vertibrae Wins!  (Read 31021 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodbowl Season 3: SEMI FINALS
« Reply #360 on: February 12, 2012, 12:20:31 am »

ndkid wins 3-1, and advances to the finals.

Congratulations to him, and best of luck to him as well.

zizi yO.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 12, 2012, 12:22:32 am »

Kobb's Khorne vs. Sheer Badassery
The Rematch
The Game For Half the Marbles
The Other Sundry Cliches

Sheer Badassery developed some bad habits before the match. Overconfidence can just kill a team, I tell you!
Khorne elects to kick. Also, it's snowing.

SB1: Khorne lines up with TAB deep, but otherwise mostly in Full Frontal Brutality. The elves put *four* men on the front line! And the snow immediately stops... a false alarm, much as it was in Boston today. The Khorne kickoff is short, and the Baddasses quickly pick it up. The elves manage to *stun* the Minotaur.
KK1: A few pushy blocks, and then a blitzing beastman accepts a both-down against the elven passer.
SB2: The elves finish opening a line down the middle. The thrower stands up, picks back up the ball, and tosses it to a catcher, who runs it to a few yards from the Khorne end zone.
KK2: TAB dodges away from his shadow and blitzes down the ball-carrier. The ball goes into the stands, eventually sailing
back to midfield.
SB3: The S4 elven blitzer knocks TAB down. The catcher goes into the end zone. A A5 elf picks up the ball, dodges a bit downfield, and tosses it to him. Touchdown!
KK3: The elves put the mandatory three men on the front line, then spread out in a prevent defense. TAB goes deep for Khorne, with the rest of the team in FFB. The kick goes to the goal line, sending TAB back to retrieve it. NATAB comes back to catch the pass from TAB.
SB4: Two blitzers get deep, pushing NATAB back.
KK4: The Minotaur gets the first injury of the game against a nearby lineman. TAB comes up to give NATAB support, and a rookie beastman tries and fails to knock over one of the elves shadowing NATAB. A Chaos warrior knocks out another elf.
SB5: A catcher tries to blitz downfield, and falls over on his second dodge.
KK5: After a couple of tries, the beastmen finally take down the slippery blitzer. The minotaur knocks out another elf. At the end of the turn, all 8 elves left on the pitch are on their backs, and NATAB has the ball behind a reasonable front wall, with a chaos warrior beside him.
SB6: An elf dodges twice around the Prehensile Tail, but falls over going for it.
KK6: NATAB continues the ball forward, with three teammates flanking him and several other in close proximity.
SB7: A catcher tries and fails to knock NATAB over, falling over himself in the process.
KK7: NATAB gets to within a few yards of the goal line. A chaos warrior injures another elf.
SB8: An elf catcher pushes NATAB back a space.
KK8: The elf gets knocked down, and NATAB runs the ball in.

Halftime Score: Kobb's Khorne 1 - 1 Sheer Badassery

KK9: Neither of the knocked out elves wakes up, leaving only 8 on the field. The elves go strong to one side, which shifts the distribution, but not overall shape, of the Khorne FFB. TAB picks up the kickoff, runs it downfield, and throws it to NATAB, who runs it farther downfield.
SB9: One catcher flubs a GFI, needing a reroll, and another fails a dodge, leading to a broken back (that the apoc fixes).
KK10: NATAB runs the ball in.
SB10: Khorne lines up in it's TAB-deep formation. The kickoff doesn't make it to the line of scrimmage.
KK11: The elven front line goes down, and the rest of the Khorne front moves toward the ball.
SB11: The elves throw the ball deep into the Khorne half of the pitch.
KK12: TAB picks up the ball. NATAB runs back to receive it.
SB12: Not much.
KK13: TAB passes to NATAB, who runs downfield.
SB13: Not much.
KK14: NATAB runs the ball in.
SB14: Ball picked up.
KK15: Two linemen injured, rest of team rushes toward the back.
SB15: Defense around the ball.
KK16: TAB tries to sneak a blitz at the ball, but falls over.
SB16: A chaos warrior intercepts a pass.

Final Thoughts:
Kanil felt that I could've just sat on the ball after his turn 9, with him then having 0 chance of stopping me from scoring on turn 16 for a 2-1 win. I felt it was more worthwhile to take the early score and go for more SPP for the finals, but he didn't put up much struggle after that. The first half was the hotly contested one. I got to kick the ball off, which was important, and I managed to get that score before halftime, which meant that Kanil and I were still tied, but he was down several players *and* giving me the ball at the start of the second half.

I'll be getting several of my players hurt by the Norse for the finals. That, plus a strong showing here in the first round makes me feel good about my chances of a second straight Bay12 Championship.

Kanil has been all class in the two matches I've played against him, even when things weren't going his way. Plus, his team's ability to score seemingly at will has put fear into everyone this year. Hats off to him.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 12, 2012, 12:26:10 am »

Glad to play a gentleman like yourself, a worthy opponent to be bested by, for sure.

Edit: Maybe I've been watching too much StarCraft lately, but... why don't we use the two leg playoff format? Is it bugged/broken? Takes too long?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:17:02 am by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 12, 2012, 02:24:44 pm »

Week ends!

FINALS:
AlStar - Undead - Dark Vertibrae vs ndkid - Chaos - Kobb's Khorne

Edit:

Dark Vertibrae were matched up against Soapmakers United in an epic brawl that ended 1-0 for Vertibrae.

Tiny got inducements - Cheering fans and a wizard. Tiny got a lot of use out of that wizard. Three shots, in fact. A fireball in the first (knocked down the ballcarrier, but left the rest of the line intact), a lightning bolt in the 7th or 8th (knocked down the ballcarrier, but, with a blitz, ball pickup and a GFI, I managed to still score) and a final fireball on turn 15 which took down three of my players, to clear a path for his runner, hoping to get the tieing score.

Overall I'd say that the luck was equal on both sides. Tiny never needed to reroll in the second half while I used all four of mine... but on the GFI 1d block that I needed to secure my victory, I got a pow... so I can't really complain.

Play of the match: After I'd knocked down Tiny's AG 4 dwarf on the sidelines, he tried to blitz away. His 1d block came up with a skull, killing the dwarf. The Apoh saved him, but he was out for the rest of the game.

I didn't manage to get a single KO on the dwarves, although I did get 3 CAS. My KOs never woke up, but luckily were just zombies, and I had reserves.

Good game Tiny - it was really down to the wire.

PS - I hate guard. Dwarves have so much guard! So much!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:35:12 pm by AlStar »

Tiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 12, 2012, 02:47:01 pm »

Tiny got inducements - Cheering fans and a wizard. Tiny got a lot of use out of that wizard. Three shots, in fact.

It's the reason many people don't use enchanced inducements in leagues, the Cheering fans speed up the wizard recharge so you get 2-4 shot's in a game for 230k.

A good game for sure.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodbowl Season 3: FINALS
« Reply #365 on: February 12, 2012, 03:23:02 pm »

It's definately a strong effect, but for 230k, it's not like you're getting it on the cheap or anything.

Now, that said, I'm pretty sure that dwarves are under-represented in terms of TV. Virtually your entire team had guard (and why wouldn't you? You start with block and tackle and have strength access) yet you still got enough inducements to pick up that combo (I don't think you added any cash, did you?)

Tiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 12, 2012, 04:03:03 pm »

no added money just the TV diference.

I didn't really have much in the way of extra skills in my bashing positionals due to having replaced them all over the season, my only level 3 guys were my runners.
I only had four guard players but since the games was mostly a big ruck in the middle of the pitch two more guard players than you had went quite far.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 12, 2012, 04:35:43 pm »

Speaking of added money, given the historic tendency in the Bay12 League of requiring new teams each season, should I assume that Kobb's Khorne are never going to find themselves in another game, and toss all of my money into inducements in the final match?

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 12, 2012, 05:28:51 pm »

That's why I dumped 100k on our match.

I'll ask about two-leg playoffs again: Are they broken, or just too time consuming?

Tiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 12, 2012, 05:55:37 pm »

They do work fine, I think they'd be a good thing for the next season.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 15, 2012, 12:48:17 am »

Season 4 Final
Kobb's Khorne vs. Dark Vertibrae

Dark Vertibrae wins the coin toss and elects to kick.

DV1: Khorne lines up in Full Frontal Brutality, then gets Perfect Defense, allowing for a few player shuffles along the line to match up with the mummies better. Three beastmen fall over to the initial barrage of undead blocks. A ghoul muffs the pickup of the ball.
KK1: A zombie gets knocked out.
DV2: The ghoul gets the ball this time, and hands it off to a ghoul who runs it toward the Khorne end zone.
KK2: A Chaos warrior gets back and knocks over the ball carrier.
DV3: TAB gets killed on a block, but the apothecary brings him back. Another ghoul picks up the ball. A zombie knocks himself out knocking over a beastman.
KK3: The Chaos Warriors push around the ghouls, including knocking over the ball carrier. NATAB runs back and picks the ball up.
DV4: One Ghoul gets beside NATAB, another falls over trying to make the blitz through several tackle zones.
KK4: The Ghoul on NATAB gets knocked over, and he runs the ball back to midfield.
DV5: A zombie gets beside NATAB.
KK5: The zombie is knocked over, and NATAB gets to within a few yards of the goal line.
DV6: A mummy falls over trying to block a beastman.
KK6: NATAB runs beside the goal line, but does not go in.
DV7: Some blocks
KK7: Remembering that Dark Vertibrae have a wizard patrolling the sidelines, NATAB runs the ball in.
DV8: Khorne again lines up in FFB. The wizard knocks out a player. A wight injures another. A ghoul fails a pass.
KK8: A foul knocks out a mummy.

Halftime Score: Kobb's Khorne 1 - 0 Dark Vertibrae

KK9: The mummy, alas, did not stay down. TAB goes deep to receive the kickoff. He picks up the ball, and throws it forward to Speedy-Two-Arms, Sadly, a Chaos Warrior falls down trying to get downfield as a blocker, leaving Speedy standing at the midfield line.
DV9: A blitzing mummy takes Speedy down. A Ghoul picks up the ball.
KK10: TAB pushes the ghoul back.
DV10: The Ghouls dodge a bit, and get a little farther downfield.
KK11: NATAB and TAB get beside the ball carrier.
DV11: The Ghoul gets the ball into the end zone.
KK12: The kickoff lands deep in the corner of the field. NATAB runs back to receive the pass. TAB picks up the ball, and immediately drops it again.
DV12: Dark Vertibrae bring their safeties back to the midfield, getting stuck in and making blocks.
KK13: TAB picks up the ball and runs forward with NATAB as his front blocker. A beastman knocks out a ghoul.
DV13: A mummy and ghoul both go for it, and knock over TAB. Another ghoul goes to pick up the ball, but has it slip away.
KK14:  The ghoul beside the ball is knocked over. TAB stands up, goes to pick up the ball with his three arms, tries again... and fails.
DV14: A mummy injures Prehensile Tail. A ghoul picks up the ball and runs it down to score.
KK15: An attempt to blitz the ball carrier with a beastman comes up push.
DV15: Ghoul runs in for the touchdown.
KK16: Pass
DV16:

Final Score: Dark Vertibrae 2 - 1 Kobb's Khorne

Final Thoughts: Them's the breaks! I made a mistake here or there, but, overall, it was the hard-fought match expected. I was sad to not score a single injury against the Undead team, given the number of zombies I knocked over, though.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 15, 2012, 09:31:54 am »

... I'm a terrible individual.

I didn't even get to finish all the pictures.

Next season will be better. NEXT SEASON.

So here's the stuff I managed to do. (Not pictured: a saurus stomping an elf into the ground, a skink clambering over an elf's face to intercept, a skink tackling a dwarf to the ground, and a broken-necked skink looking on in disdain to the rest of his team.)

Motivation's a bitch when you're nursing a no-win streak...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 15, 2012, 10:21:25 am »

Season 4 Final
Kobb's Khorne vs. Dark Vertibrae

Final Thoughts: Them's the breaks! I made a mistake here or there, but, overall, it was the hard-fought match expected. I was sad to not score a single injury against the Undead team, given the number of zombies I knocked over, though.

Well played Ndkid! It would've been interesting to see what would've happened if you hadn't flubbed some of your ball handling rolls; I expect it would have been a long grind into overtime.

My thoughts on the game:
Overall, I think that the dice were pretty even throughout the game, right up until the end of the second half, where a cascade of poor rolls hampered Ndkid's ability to move the ball forward (and away from his endzone) while I got a little lucky, needing to use more GFIs then I'd really like to blitz the ballcarrier and steal the ball.

Taking out one of Nd's mutated agility-horrors fairly early in the game was a big help, I think - made it that much more difficult for him to play the passing game against me.

Again, great game Ndkid!

And thanks to all of the coaches that stuck it out to the end!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodbowl Season 3: Dark Vertibrae Wins!
« Reply #373 on: February 15, 2012, 03:51:50 pm »

So, when will the new season get underway?

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodbowl Season 3: Dark Vertibrae Wins!
« Reply #374 on: February 15, 2012, 04:06:24 pm »

Hopefully as late as possible. :P

Trying to get my best friend to join, but he's getting some internet issues ironed out first.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26