Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragon attack!  (Read 1579 times)

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragon attack!
« on: October 10, 2011, 06:05:05 pm »

Just had a dragon show up at my fortress and freaked out. Never seen one before in game. It rampaged about at my entrance as I sent my 70 man strong wrestler militia to take it down. Currently unconscious, but toasted a good 45 dorfs before it went unconscious. I don't think it's gonna stay down for long, but we'll see. If I can kill it, dragon roasts for a while and some cool engravings for the legendary dining hall that's under construction. If not, then the reclaim will be with crossbowmen in armor. I really wish I had containment facilities set up to hold it, but oh well. I love this game.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon attack!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 06:06:44 pm »

Build some containment facilities now while it's napping!

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:11:33 pm »

70 wrestlers?

Is your monarch perchance named Caligula?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:12:31 pm »

An army of sweaty, hairy, seminaked dwarves covering eachother in rock nut oil and cacao butter!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 06:22:39 pm »

An army of sweaty, hairy, seminaked dwarves covering eachother in rock nut oil and cacao butter!

Make that !!Dwarves!! Also, Etog the dragon just the entire surface brewstock and an elven caravan has just had the worst timing ever.

From ~100 dwarves down to 2 dwarves sealed up down in the fortress that was under construction. Thankfully I was almost ready to move in when it attacked and had the food production almost entirely setup. Now to continue on.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 06:46:18 pm »

It's dead. Just lost most of a migration wave to it, but it died of bloodloss. I'm going to drag it in and butcher it. The 2 survivors shall have dragon roasts tonight.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 07:08:48 pm »

It's dead. Just lost most of a migration wave to it, but it died of bloodloss. I'm going to drag it in and butcher it. The 2 survivors shall have dragon roasts tonight.
Build the butcher shop next to it. It'll be faster.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 07:23:16 pm »

That's a lot of ‼Fun‼ off any one creature... but then, wrestlers aren't great at actually killing things as much as they are good at holding them still for weapondwarves to kill.  Against man-sized creatures I suppose the wrestler dogpile would function well.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 07:59:35 pm »

Well, I had a lot of wrestlers training till I got my crafting hall and grand smithy set up. I wasn't about to commit to any kind of industry till I had gotten all my digging and smoothing done. The 70 wrestlers were my also my hauling, smoothing and militia in the event of gobbo invasion. Made short work of any construction that I needed done, like the 20x40 ceiling over half of my farm area. I had just gotten all 8 fields up and planted, 3 each butcher, tanner, kitchen, farm workshop and still going and 1/4 of the crafting hall (itself being a 1/4 of a 4x4 embark) was dug out. I'm mostly surprised that it took that long to get something coming after me. The wrestlers spent an awful lot of time on zombies though.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 08:01:37 pm »

And every night for the next three years, if you can get it butchered in time. Dragons drop a ton of meaty bits, and it's all worth 10U a pop (as opposed to boring meat like cat and goat that's worth 2U). Their families may be mutilated and the halls echo ominously, but damned if the larder isn't gonna be the best in the world!
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 07:34:37 pm »

Well, an ambush, two sieges and four migration waves later, we're back around 21 dorfs. Erush Tostiden Inolthedak Ram, "Erush VisePaddled The Yellow Clan of Prisons," reigns as lord of the fort, though many wish Bomrek Logemzim Oltarbebmal Gireth, "Bomrek PaintCrested the Gilded Glen of Images" to be mayor of the fort. Both are the champions of the fort, neither of them cares much about anything anymore. Erush retires to a room with furniture made of metals each night and is working the forge on weapons, armor and furniture for Bomrek. Over the course of the ambush and sieges, Bomrek earned his name killing 10 gobblins, while Erush has massacred that number, plus three trolls and choked the remaining breath from a dragon. I will be putting the laborers to work building a monument in his honor and have begun the plans for it. It will be large and consuming of materials, but there is much rock to be had and metal to be traded for and melted from goblinite. Only those who can earn themselves a name get armor and weapons in this place. Only those who earn a name are guaranteed to survive long enough to yell it in a troll's ear as it takes its dying breath. There are no doctors and no administrators here. When I get 10 of them, we'll dig a stairwell down to the magma sea and look for better game.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 07:47:26 pm »

BTW, next time you get a dragon, be sure to send troops carrying shields after it. Shields can be used to block dragonfire. Even wooden ones. Your survival rate will go way up.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 12:02:46 am »

Next time draft your miners and use the 'use specific weapon' to use picks. The combat skill of these dwarves is based off their mining  skill, so it can be used to great effect early on.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 09:16:39 am »

My first dragon encounter was rather unimpressive.

At first I thought it would fly up over my walls and wreak havoc upon all the dorfs in my courtyard.  Then I found out that they can't fly.  Which is ok I guess, anything that big probably would have trouble getting off the ground (and if one managed to shoot it unconscious out of the sky, it would explode upon landing).  I think it would have been more !!fun!! if they were able to fly around and literally rain fire down on you.... but it's still a dragon.

I had one marksdorf outside the walls, on his way to reminisce out in the bloody sands about his recent exploits against the humans (or whatever it is they do out there), saw the dragon, and got a face full of dragonfire.  He wasn't phased at all, but I was freaking out at the huge amount of fire it could produce.  The marksdorf shot one bolt into the dragon's foot before it walked across a weapon trap and fell into my dodge trap, exploding upon impact 15 z-levels down.  I don't think he deserves the fame for killing that dragon, but oh well.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 11:54:01 am »

My sole dragon encounter so far was one appearing while a goblin siege was on-going.  He entered an access tunnel and encountered a full goblin crossbow squad that was sitting there because their leader was in a nearby cage trap.

Dragon flamed goblins.  Goblins bolt-salvoed dragon.  Dragon charged into the smoky melee.  Two trolls walked out.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart